Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird tuners

Lespaul64

I bought a year ago a nice Gibson Firebird maple wing. It's a 400 run, very nice looking and sounding.

Unfortunatly, the quality of the original tuner or the trem nut (sillet in french) is not good at all and that guitar can not be tuned for more than few minutes.

I tried to find some spare tuners but I can not find any provider on the web.

Does anybody have a solution (tuner brand, shop where to buy, change the nut, modify something etc.) ?

Thanks for your help

Salut de la part d'un fou de Firebirds!

Les clés "banjo" sont notoires pour être trop directes et imprécis, et malheureusement, il n'y a pas grand chose à faire à part bien faire controller le sillet et le chevalet et les lubrifier (mine de crayon, par exemple). Accorder toujours en montant vers la note, en jouant fort.

Si vous n'en pouvez plus, vous pouvez éventuellement les remplacer avec des Steinbergers:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners.html

J'ai un jeu que j'ai mis sur une guitare "maison" et ils marchent très bien. Ils ne nécessitent pas de nouveaux trous derrière la tête, donc pas de modifications irréversible.

For you non French-speakers out there, just the usual Firebird banjo tuner suggestions, tune upwards, check the nut and bridge, lube them with graphite, and if all else fails, try Steinberger Gearless Tuners. I've never replaced the tuners on my reverse 'birds, but I put a set of the Steinbergers on my homemade "TeleVetteBird," and they work very well.

Archived