Gibson Brands Forums

Volume Level

swampash

I've always wondered what the optimal level a player should have his volume on their guitar set at when playing in a band situation. I usually have mine set around 6 or 7 when running through effects into an amp. Some people I know go all the way up to 10 leaving nothing else to add.

Probably stupid I know but I'm curious what other players have theirs set at?

It depends upon the size of the venue and the lay of the land. 

But, in general, if I'm mic'ing the amp out to the PA, I have the amp set at whatever volume works for me and the drummer. 
(I keep my amp face pointed toward the drummer's left wrist.)

Usually around 4 or 5 on the Master Volume. 
Guitar at Volume 8, with room to roll it up if the occasion calls for it. 

🙂

• Like 1

I start with Guitar Tone & Volume set at 5 & Pickup Selector Switch in the Center. Turn Amp Volume to 0, Tone Controls to 5 & turn off Reverb, Tremelo etc. or set to 0.

Then dial up the Amps Volume to the edge of Break up. Next adjust the desired Tone levels on the Amp.

When playing select which Pickups, tweak Volume, Tone, Clean & Break up levels on the fly as need given the Song & Arrangement…

• Like 1

I turn my amp up quite loud and dial in a fair amount of gain (it's a 15 watt Blues Junior, but I only play small venues), and set the guitar volume to about 3 for a nice clean tone then I just need to turn it up for a crunchy lead sound.  I feed the guitar straight into the amp as I'm not a fan of using pedals.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

I have my guitar pickup volume control(s) on 10 always and use a volume pedal 1st in my chain.

I am thinking about doing it the other way and using the volume control.

But dere ain't no gigs right now.....

HNY!

You made me check the OP and I now realise I completely misread the question (*I was refering to typical amp vol). Like you, I leave guitar vol on max and never touch it. I use the expression pedal on the signal processor for volume control. I dont need any knobs on the guitar at all. 

Same with Tone. Max all the time. All EQ settings for each guitar are in signal processor.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Karloff said:

haha, yea I added the lol hoping it would keep anyone from wanting to lecture me on the proper use of stage volume ...  a harmonious stage volume is great, but ... 

Honestly, I have a joke that goes like 'if I can hear myself, it probably means I'm too loud". But last gig I played, I could hear my own amp perfectly. The band kept complimenting me on how good I was playing. I just chalked it up to the fact that I could actually hear what I was playing as I was playing it. 

On 12/23/2021 at 2:38 PM, Larsongs said:

Yeah, for sure, bro… But, also in workin the Knobs….

I agree.  I am on the volume all night.  What I should say is that I prefer to have too much at my disposal.  I can't get more without stopping what I'm doing to twiddle knobs, so I start with too much amp, little too much pedals.  When it's time to solo and guitar volume is all the way up, I've got too much in case I want it, use hands to keep it all to a dull roar if need be.  I like my pickups all the way up for soloing.

rct