Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new 2021 Les Paul Les Paul Standard ’50s neck "crack" "checking" "what is this"???

Hey all, Happy Holidays!

Just received a spanking brand new 2021 Les Pal Standard 50's. It's a beauty! But while going over the fine details, checking out the flame, how many pieces in the body, neck, etc. I happen upon a mysterious, what appears to be a "crack" under the finish, across the grain, on the back of the neck at around the middle of the 5th fret. It goes from one side of the neck to the other, across the grain. It's really freaking me out.  Nitro appears to be intact. At least the outer layer of nitro. The "crack" appears to have flame to it as well because it will light up when looking at it from the top and get dark when looking at it from below (if that makes any sense). 

Also, I know the neck is supposed to be one piece of mahagony, but it looks like many pieces and they kind of twist to the right. Grain maybe? Sure look like seams of at least 4 pieces... But I know it can't be.

Wish I had room for bigger/better pics.

Thoughts from the experts? Unfortunately I had to purchase this beauty online, but from an extremely reputable dealer. It appears "whatever it is" was there when it left the factory. Just not sure what it is I am looking at, whether I should be concerned and if I should return it.

Thank you!

Gary

2.jpg

1.jpg

4b.jpg

This looks to be a cosmetic issue. It is not uncommon for mahogany to have weak spots in the wood, that is, effectively grain lines running perpendicular to the main grain. Yours is a one-piece neck with such an issue. Due to Mother Nature, the main grain direction of your neck is also not perfectly aligned with the headstock direction, which is also not uncommon. I wouldn't expect any structural issues in the long term, but if it really bothers you, you might want to return the guitar.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

looks cosmetic to me too.  hog has lots of different grain patterns.

I wouldn't beat myself up on the in person thing.  you could have tried that out in a store and still not have noticed it till you got home.

what does the dealer have to say about it?

Thank you guys. 

Still waiting to hear back from the dealer. Must he a holiday thing. They are one of the major Gibson dealers. I have no worries about them standing up.

Just wondering if I was being petty because it always seems like it's something. Could be a cheap guitar or an expensive guitar, there's ALWAYS an issuse that should not be there. I guess you need to step up to Custom Shop from these guitar makers and even then the blems get out. I understand it's wood working, but if ya'll are going to charge me $3k for the pleasure, it should be pain and excuse free.

I'll let you guys knw how the story ends. Still kicking it over in my head and waiting to see what the dealer's opinion is as well.

Here's what's at stake...  Sucker for a beautiful face, dark rosewood, wonderful set up and tone. But I don't want to make excuses/fool myself eveytime I think about that neck snapping. Wondering if the builder (or someone in Gibson) grabbed this thing by the neck and stressed it/fractured it but continued on and finished over it. I can't imagine. This was a custom batch order from Gibson USA, you'd think it would get some extra love.

She's a beauty though!

IMG_7874d.jpg

Edited by BluesDeville
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 7:10 PM, BluesDeville said:

So the verdict is in...

Their techs say that it is just the grain. 😕

Getting a refund...  What do I do, say send it back to me?

No more mail-order for me.

Thanks for all the input.

Its yours and your choice on what to do.