Gibson Brands Forums

Any guesses on this Hummingbird?

theadguy

1435626097_Hummingbird_.thumb.jpg.0b9c6051e845fa97ffa2ca75f1df2f40.jpg

Body_PicGUARD.thumb.jpg.53f3560abeb5ae2282d13eb381608cbf.jpg

Hello all - here's a longshot:  anyone have any idea who may have made this Hummingbird? I cannot find anything like it anywhere on line - it's had it's day and I'm wondering if it's worth what it would take to get it playing again.  There is no information anywhere on it - no headstock badge, no serial  number - nothing.  Only thing from previous owner :  he thought it was maybe '50's or 60's vintage.  Any leads or guesses would be appreciated!

Bridge_AlloySaddle.jpg

Headstock_BACK.jpg

Headstock.jpg

I'm certainly no expert...but it's not a Gibson.... pickguard does not look like an Epiphone.....has cheap Chinese tuners (or some other kind).

The truss-rod cover has 3 screws.... Gibson puts only 2.

Probably plywood, I think if you check the grain on the wood on the back from the outside, then check the grain on the wood on back from the inside...

If they don't match, the body is probably laminated.

It looks like you could put strings and one pin to see if it will play, (check the intonation, etc.).

Then you might also need to put on a decent set of tuners.

You know it rained (almost) world wide with copies like this in the 70ties - from all angles. 

You should tell us about the braces. How thick they are and the pattern itself. 

I like the stinger, it's well done. 

And yes, it has a sound - and could probably make a good campfire guitar. 

The machineheads are standard issue early ‘70s Japanese, which puts this guitar provisionally in that bracket. The intonated adjustable bridge saddle was commonly used by Kay around the same era, but doesn’t look original to this guitar as the adjuster screws don’t seem to match, so may have been ported over as an upgrade. 

The sunburst is very good, as is the attention to detail on the inlays and scratchplate. This marks it out as being likely either built by Kiso Suzuki or Terada, both Japanese manufacturers who were well known for their attention to such things. Kiso Suzuki guitars are excellent instruments-I have one of their classical guitars from the same era and it’s outstanding. 

Kiso Suzuki were originally a violin manufacturer and built instruments to a very high standard-I wonder if there are any traces of the logo on the headstock? If it’s a KS it will be a gold decal not dissimilar to the Martin logo, except reading “K. Suzuki & Co”

I would absolutely put some time, effort and money into making it playable again-Japanese stuff is starting to make stronger and stronger money and with good reason, they’re often excellent instruments.

As mentioned above, almost certainly Japanese-made from the ‘70s.  Typically, these utilized all laminated wood for the top, sides, & back - but some higher end models sported solid tops.  Whatever name was on the headstock is obviously now gone, but regional distributors could order them with just about any name desired.  Ibanez, Aria, Suzuki, Ventura, Lyle, & others featured instruments like this in the USA throughout the ‘70s & early ‘80s, until entry level production switched primarily to Korea in the mid ‘80s.

Edited by bobouz

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all - very interesting and helpful information.  I've put strings on it, discovered the truss rod is broken and the action is really high with no fix at this point. Maybe a good enough slide guitar - it actually does have a nice tone to it - the campfire suggestion is a good one, it might just be the wood we use to start it.

Thanks again,

Cheers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, theadguy said:

Thank you all - very interesting and helpful information.  I've put strings on it, discovered the truss rod is broken and the action is really high with no fix at this point. Maybe a good enough slide guitar - it actually does have a nice tone to it - the campfire suggestion is a good one, it might just be the wood we use to start it.

Thanks again,

Cheers.

The two underlined sections have a direct correlation.

23 hours ago, theadguy said:

Thanks again,

Cheers.

This was me in 2008:

VEi19La.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 5:55 PM, theadguy said:

Thanks again,

Cheers.

Are you in the UK? If so, would you be interested in selling the guitar?