Gibson Brands Forums

New ES-330 VOS -circa 2013 Memphis Custom Shop (no internal sticker)

WhiteCatzs

Just bought the above noted guitar and really like it- I’m a newcomer to P90’s and love the tone. This is a pre-1963 style.

This is the 4th Gibson archtop I’ve owned, but the first without the internal sticker stating the model.

The serial number stamped inside the body matches the certificate of authenticity, but have you ever heard of there not being an identification sticker inside the body of an ES-330 ?  Was that common, or did they forget to put one in ?

Thanks for your feedback 🙏 

5C7ED9B4-1651-40BE-958A-42CCD17A301D.jpeg

0902BDA2-50D1-4C54-86E7-6B2B24939BB5.jpeg

BC0C2A9F-7814-4F3B-9A5E-0EEE31D41519.jpeg

F6EA258F-DCCA-49B2-A131-0BAA92F8E6C0.jpeg

740432C6-8047-498D-9EEE-05DC2A192A1A.jpeg

3E0B087E-B0E5-4B1F-9FA6-46E6A67775B6.jpeg

Edited by WhiteCatzs
Accuracy

• WhiteCatzs changed the title to New ES-330 VOS -circa 2013 Memphis Custom Shop (no internal sticker)

The sticker inside the body is hit and miss the past few years.  Not sure if there is a rhyme or reason to it, but not all ES guitars have a sticker inside anymore.  I have a CS 356 that I got new in 2017 and there is no sticker inside.  Not to worry, your certificate of authenticity and the serial number stamped inside verify it as genuine.

Edited by Twang Gang

On 12/28/2021 at 1:39 AM, Larsongs said:

If it’s new call Gibson & ask them for it…. Maybe even tell them you want to send send it to them to correct their deficiency & properly install it… Their error. They should pay for Shipping…

One would think so, but I don't think they will.  As part of the great CME Gibson Memphis warehouse blowout sale, I bought a Gibson 2015 1954 ES-175D Dark Burst.  The "paperwork" identified it as a 2016 1959 ES-175 Vintage Burst VOS, including the box labels, the shipper to CME, and the COA.  The serial number *is* the same.  So it is the right guitar, just identified incorrectly by Gibson.  When I contacted Gibson asking what I had giving them the serial number.  Note that the Axxxxx serial number format is the same for both models, and both models were being made at roughly the same time.  After sending them detailed pics of the guitar, they admitted the mistake.  But even though they admitted the mistake, they refused to give me a correct COA because the guitars were sold without a Gibson warranty.  Sounds like a bizarrely irrelevant reason and they would want to correct a "lying" COA, but not so.  Really makes no difference to me, because I have the emails to "authenticate" what I have. 

But this all illustrated the Gibson can make some pretty big boo-boos.  And are not always willing to make it right!

AM-JKLXGi9D_Kb6uIGPHHvC-XHUd3RuwtQAXn0RH

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wmachine said:

One would think so, but I don't think they will.  As part of the great CME Gibson Memphis warehouse blowout sale, I bought a Gibson 2015 1954 ES-175D Dark Burst.  The "paperwork" identified it as a 2016 1959 ES-175 Vintage Burst VOS, including the box labels, the shipper to CME, and the COA.  The serial number *is* the same.  So it is the right guitar, just identified incorrectly by Gibson.  When I contacted Gibson asking what I had giving them the serial number.  Note that the Axxxxx serial number format is the same for both models, and both models were being made at roughly the same time.  After sending them detailed pics of the guitar, they admitted the mistake.  But even though they admitted the mistake, they refused to give me a correct COA because the guitars were sold without a Gibson warranty.  Sounds like a bizarrely irrelevant reason and they would want to correct a "lying" COA, but not so.  Really makes no difference to me, because I have the emails to "authenticate" what I have. 

But this all illustrated the Gibson can make some pretty big boo-boos.  And are not always willing to make it right!

AM-JKLXGi9D_Kb6uIGPHHvC-XHUd3RuwtQAXn0RH

To each his own but I doubt I’d have kept the Guitar.. I would’ve returned it & exchanged it for another Guitar…

14 hours ago, Larsongs said:

To each his own but I doubt I’d have kept the Guitar.. I would’ve returned it & exchanged it for another Guitar…

Not sure why you would say that.  By the time I actually bought it, I knew exactly what I was getting.  Long story, but it was languishing in the back of the CME warehouse (after probably languishing in the back of the Memphis warehouse).  This was at the end of the CME sale and almost everything from the Gibson warehouse was sold and gone.  I was sniffing around with my CME guy to see if there were any deals left, possibly one returned for cosmetic defects.  He said there was a '59 ES-175 put aside in the warehouse apparently because it was damaged.  If I was interested, he'd have brought up and they'd take a look at it.  I said sure.  He shortly got back to me, sent me a pic and said it was not a '59 ES-175, and it was not damaged.  I did some quick research and determined it was a '54 reissue.  Actually one of "50 made for worldwide distribution".  When I got back to him, they had come to the same conclusion as to what it was.  When I asked how much, he said I could have it for $1845.00.  That was no tax and free shipping.  I couldn't give him my cc numbers fast enough.   It has a bonus feature of a MEMPHIS truss rod cover.  Never seen on on any Memphis guitar including this model.  The one word I would use to describe it is "exquisite".  Quite honestly, I rather have this than a '59 ES-175.  I already have an EPI ES-175 Premier, so I already have one with humbuckers.  

AM-JKLV5URaucE6j0atxv1PNzevm9SI0olbrUVEz

7 hours ago, Wmachine said:

Not sure why you would say that.  By the time I actually bought it, I knew exactly what I was getting.  Long story, but it was languishing in the back of the CME warehouse (after probably languishing in the back of the Memphis warehouse).  This was at the end of the CME sale and almost everything from the Gibson warehouse was sold and gone.  I was sniffing around with my CME guy to see if there were any deals left, possibly one returned for cosmetic defects.  He said there was a '59 ES-175 put aside in the warehouse apparently because it was damaged.  If I was interested, he'd have brought up and they'd take a look at it.  I said sure.  He shortly got back to me, sent me a pic and said it was not a '59 ES-175, and it was not damaged.  I did some quick research and determined it was a '54 reissue.  Actually one of "50 made for worldwide distribution".  When I got back to him, they had come to the same conclusion as to what it was.  When I asked how much, he said I could have it for $1845.00.  That was no tax and free shipping.  I couldn't give him my cc numbers fast enough.   It has a bonus feature of a MEMPHIS truss rod cover.  Never seen on on any Memphis guitar including this model.  The one word I would use to describe it is "exquisite".  Quite honestly, I rather have this than a '59 ES-175.  I already have an EPI ES-175 Premier, so I already have one with humbuckers.  

AM-JKLV5URaucE6j0atxv1PNzevm9SI0olbrUVEz

That’s a lovely Guitar & I’m happy for you… I hope you enjoy it for many many years… I admit I’m OCD.. I’m probably too particular about details… But, that’s just how I am…. No disrespect intended…. 

11 hours ago, Larsongs said:

That’s a lovely Guitar & I’m happy for you… I hope you enjoy it for many many years… I admit I’m OCD.. I’m probably too particular about details… But, that’s just how I am…. No disrespect intended…. 

None taken.  You earned my respect long ago.

• 2 weeks later...