Gibson Brands Forums

When to start hydrating new guitar?

egoidealmusic

I used to keep my guitar room controlled a bit on the dry side between 40-45%. This past year I got my first torrified top and so I’ve been watching a little closer. I noticed a slight wrinkle starting on the finish so I changed the room to 45-50% . The wrinkle disappeared. I wondered how well these aged tops would adapt to the conditions .

I humidify all of my guitars by the rooms that they are in. Hygrometers and humidifiers are dirt cheap compared to the investments they are protecting. I heat with wood all winter and keep all of the rooms with an acoustic between 45-55% humidity. 

I never purchased a new guitar, all have been used. But I always use the D'Addario two- way hydration packs as soon as I receive them.

They are advertised as a two -way system, if too damp, they absorb the moisture in to the packets, if too dry, they add moisture. I check my guitars all the time, and they are always between 44-50 % hydrated.  Very simple to use, just replace the bags every 3-4 months, or when they become hard. I live in Georgia if this helps. 

This is the best system I have used in 50 years keeping my guitars hydrated.

17 hours ago, Rich H. said:

I never purchased a new guitar, all have been used. But I always use the D'Addario two- way hydration packs as soon as I receive them.

They are advertised as a two -way system, if too damp, they absorb the moisture in to the packets, if too dry, they add moisture. I check my guitars all the time, and they are always between 44-50 % hydrated.  Very simple to use, just replace the bags every 3-4 months, or when they become hard. I live in Georgia if this helps. 

This is the best system I have used in 50 years keeping my guitars hydrated.

Those packs are made by Boveda and rebranded as D’Adarrio. They say they last 2 or 3 months. I’ve gotten 5 out of them, but 4 is about average for me. No mess or fuss. When they are no longer squishy and you get new ones.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Here is something I copied from a post several years ago. I can't remember who posted it. 

Guitar Humidity

100%; You shouldn’t really be playing your new guitar out in the rain

95%; This is dangerous for your instrument; glue joints are compromising right now and the thin wood plates are highly stressed and buckling due to their swollen condition

90%; This is far too humid for your instrument; the action of the strings is very high; maybe it’s time for some air conditioning for both of you? Bad things are possibly going to start happening to your instrument

85%; Too humid; your wood plates are beginning to swell with the moisture; this isn’t good

80%; A little too humid I think (plus, aren’t you getting uncomfortable?); soundboard movement is starting to affect the action (making it higher over the frets)

75%; Probably getting too humid; if it keeps up you may actually notice the soundboard movement; sort of OK for awhile

70%; OK for awhile but don’t let the guitar get too warm; more wood movement with the soundboard bellying out somewhat perhaps

65%; A little too humid; there might be a small bit of wood movement but don’t panic

60%; Still sort of OK

55%; Not too bad

50%; OK

45%; PERFECT

40%; OK

35%; Time to think about humidifying your guitar; the soundboard is starting to sink in; probably will be OK for a few days so don’t panic (yet!)

30%; It is really time for humidifying your guitar, (a few days might be ok); action starting to get low; maybe you can start to feel the ends of the frets beyond the edge of the fretboard (which has shrunk back due to moisture loss); install the Planet Waves Guitar Humidifier when you are not playing the instrument

25%; Time to be really concerned; time is not on your side; take corrective action now; use the Planet Waves Guitar Humidifier and put the guitar in the case until the dry conditions are over; cracks are planning their assault; frets are hanging over the edge of the fretboard now

20%; Danger Will Robinson!!! You are living on the edge now; huge stresses are building up in the plates of your expensive instrument and; cracks may start to appear at any moment; the soundboard is sunk in and you have string buzzes

15%; Give me a call and we can discuss a time slot for your repair

10%; Now we need more time to fix all those cracks and glue the thing back together

5%; It’s over!

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Those packs are made by Boveda and rebranded as D’Adarrio. They say they last 2 or 3 months. I’ve gotten 5 out of them, but 4 is about average for me. No mess or fuss. When they are no longer squishy and you get new ones.

just to add one thought with D'Adarrio packs..   and this may be sounding like over kill for some but I found that in these colder winter months, if  I put a dampit in the sound hole with the dual pack that hangs over the strings they never dry out.

And since they are a 2 way system, where they can remove as easily as they add in moisture, I'm not too worried about over hydrating.  I've had the same pack in the case I use these for  about 3 years now.  That is of course after replacing them a few times with new ones.  This is for one of my taylors,  they tend to be super sensitive to climate change.