Gibson Brands Forums

New Years Resolutions?? - for Twenty Twenty Too !

fortyearspickn

Over the decades I've waffled between  "New Years Resolutions are a waste of time, I always forget by the end of January."   and  "New Years Resolutions are for those people who aren't already perfect."

But, I've come to realize after reading a couple of  'self help'  books  (Tolle, Shetty) that  this is the time I truly want to commit to  a meaningful one.    It's sort of like the concept - when the oxygen mask drops down mid-flight, make sure you fix yours so you can help others with theirs.       So, I'm going to significantly cut my time on 'Blue Light Devices'.   They tend to spread more than harmful 'rays'.   Negative News,  TV Ads pushing things people don't need and can't afford, Etc.   And fill up the freed up time playing the guitar.  A win/win.   So, no more Binge Watching TV with a beer in one hand and a guitar in the other.  

All I can come up with is to make sure I start getting estimates for some home improvements that need getting done and keep working at extending the endurance time on my guitar.  And work too, at finally replacing the B&O Beomaster receiver my ex gave away to pay off a coke debt. 

Whitefang

If you've ever browsed through a magazine called "Stereophile"  you realize just how expensive some of that stereo equipment has become. [omg]  ie;

You can buy a $12,000 turntable to spin your old vinyl on and push it through a $40,000 amp with a less expensive $29,000 preamp and tie it all to your $150,000 a pair speakers!

[cool]

Whitefang

Yep, it's ridiculous.

So many of the manufacturers have blown off North America and their target audience is Japan and the Middle East.  Oh no, my tweeter is full of sand...

I do pretty good by shopping around and don't go for the latest and the greatest - there's a lot of gear purge going on all the time when upgradeitis hits these guys.

• Like 1

I never actually made New Year's Resolutions....but I would like to lose some weight.... for my own comfort, (believe me....NO ONE cares what a 72-year old man looks like).

There are thinks that I let go because I was too busy.....but....since I retired, I've been able to finish off almost all of them....my next project is to clean out the closet in the music room....paint it and hang some old posters in there, (there are already some hanging....but I'd like to put more in there).

I keep all my guitars in that closet, (I only have 11...so no big deal).

As most of you know, a few years ago I 'resolved' to video my entire repertoire..... at the time I thought it was about 150 songs..... well.... I finished all that.... found an old chart book I'd forgotten about.... finished all that....and am now doing some stuff that was never in my repertoire, but I liked....so not we're getting close to 450 songs.... as long as my hands hold out, I'll keep adding to that, (I'll record Roy Clark's "Tips Of My Fingers" later today).

I missed out on going to Spain when COVID hit in 2020.... the trip was set up for April...and in February the 14-Day shut-down to 'flatten the curve' was announced, and the trip was cancelled.    The trip is set up for June of this year....but I suspect it will get cancelled too.   Spain is really the only European country I wanted to visit, I have been to many European countries...but Spain (and Portugal) is where I wanted to go.   I suspect these are more "bucket list" items opposed to 'resolutions'.

less salad,  more Meth ...

I'd like to try and feel healthier. I'm 61 but feeling pretty beat up.   I'd like to be more appreciative of my opportunities to play live.  and just try and use my time wisely instead of vegging out on the couch.  I do need to dial things back though. have had over 50 gigs this year. I'm old & tired. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stay alive,  get through this pandemic (me, my family, you, everybody) and keep healthy enough to go on swimming daily and playing my guitar.   Begin listening to every LP and CD in my music collection, remind and motivate myself....digitize more of my hundreds of old cassettes.  

Lose weight.    Decrease my own 'environmental impact' as much as possible...be responsible...I should make a will.   Try and be more optimistic.  And on that note......

I'm also hoping that this year (or the next or the next), humanity starts to turn a corner, and actually take sustaining all life on Earth seriously.   Some hope.  🌎

Edited by jdgm

3 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Just three, all well manageable;

* Record more music. 

* Lose ten pounds. 

* Retire, and go on Social Security before next Christmas. 
😉

Congrats on when you do retire Sparky. You will find out it's much like "Ground Hog Day."  Every day is the same and you can do whatever you want to do! Lol.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Retired said:

"...............You will find out it's much like "Ground Hog Day."  Every day is the same and you can do whatever you want to do! Lol."

That can be a blessing and a curse.

To keep every day from being the same requires that you must have activites and routines that keep you busy, lest you fall into the sitting on the couch watching television or gamesturbating endlessly routine.

Be prepared. It is a slippery slope.

RBSinTo

27 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

That can be a blessing and a curse.

To keep every day from being the same requires that you must have activites and routines that keep you busy, lest you fall into the sitting on the couch watching television or gamesturbating endlessly routine.

Be prepared. It is a slippery slope.

RBSinTo

That's what I tell people as a joke. Actually, I often forget what day it is, Clocks don't mean anything for us much. You can do whatever you desire. I'm always busy doing something but in the movie, Bill Murray often did something new each day. We love being retired. May 31 will be 9 years for us. The wife and I both retired on the same day. 

Edited by Retired