Gibson Brands Forums

Not Disappointed With Gibson Guitars

SteveFord

While it's easy to poke fun at our host's fondness for marketing buzzwords, fondness for dressing up like the long lost Ramones brother, the fetish for fake beat up guitars and penchant for penny pinching and price gouging, I've been really pleased with their products.

Everything I've seen from them recently has been really good.  A little set up for personal preferences and the guitars are excellent.

I don't mean to brag but a quick dressing with a welding tip file and my nuts are  to die for.

Anyone else?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

All kidding aside, I just haven't encountered the issues that seem to crop up in a lot of these posts.

I think they're making guitars better than they ever have and I've never had a problem with customer service, they've always been great to deal with.

They just need to drop prices some, lose the super heavy cases and put the Firebird back to the way it's supposed to be: fancy headstock with banjo tuners.

There is a trend which has evolved over the past decade - for people with gripes to find the company's web site (or another place on social media where their customers might gather )  and tear into them.  It's sort of like extortion: to get a refund, a new replacement, etc. which they do not deserve.   Sort of like how lawyers will tell their deep pocket corporate clients to settle out  of court.    I first noticed it as a form of bullying - again directed at big corporations -  to solicit  "donations"  for certain types of social causes.   I think we took the right approach here with ClassAx and turned the tables on him.  Appeasement never works. 

This might be the first  "I Love Gibson"  post I can remember seeing.  Compared to 99 ones complaining about glue drops.    Thanks Stevie.  Not gonna poke fun at your nuts or welding tip anymore ! 

I've never had a problem that wasn't beyond a setup or minor issue to resolve.    I know some guys get some dogs, but I've never had one. 

don't mean to brag but a quick dressing with a welding tip file and my nuts are  to die for.

I recently had some spare amazon gift cards, and I picked up Music Nomad's nut file sets for both electric and acoustics.

I cut the nut slots to depth on my grandsons acoustic that we got him for Christmas.

they are not cheap  ($89 a set) but beat the pants off the welding tip cleaner things. 

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I don't mean to brag but a quick dressing with a welding tip file and my nuts are  to die for.

I would say pics or it didn’t happen, but I’m not so sure you can post pics of your nuts here without breaking every forum rule.

• Haha 2

I own a dozen Gibsons & Epiphone’s… From a Les Paul Special to an ES335 & most in between… In 2016 I did get a new Gibson ES Les Paul with a cracked headstock that somebody did a shoddy repair job on… I did a return exchange & the 2nd one was perfect…

I’ve needed Warranty work done on a couple Guitars. I had to speak up but Gibson did a great job on both..

I’m an extremely satisfied Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Owner Player….

Edited by Larsongs

7 hours ago, SteveFord said:

While it's easy to poke fun at our host's fondness for marketing buzzwords, fondness for dressing up like the long lost Ramones brother, the fetish for fake beat up guitars and penchant for penny pinching and price gouging, I've been really pleased with their products.

Everything I've seen from them recently has been really good.  A little set up for personal preferences and the guitars are excellent.

Anyone else?

My wife liked my nuts just the way they were.   [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 2

I have to thank Gibson for allowing the re-introduction of the early Wilshire in 2020, which has a wonderful nut and its to die for Medium C neck. This affordable killer guitar has become my favorite choice for any occasion and I never leave home without it.

I own a 2001 j-45, purchased used, (I believe I am the third owner) and it is the only Gibson I've ever owned.

It seems well-built, looks nice, sounds good, and as my example of a Spruce/Mahogany dreadnought satisfies my musical needs very nicely.

So relative to my requirements and situation, Gibson has done what I consider to be an excellent job, and hasn't disappointed me in any way.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

For the record, I posted a little over a year ago about how Gibson replaced a 2012 Memphis ES-335 with substandard workmanship. It was actually the third one that I brought home from Guitar Center... the other two had irreversible neck issues. I fault GC for trying to sell bad product as well as Gibson for QC issues. Gibson customer service was really nice, and very responsive, and took responsibility for their issues. The replacement process was seamless, and the replacement guitar is flawless. So kudos to Gibson.

Other than those 335s, I've owned two LPs, both flawless and a joy to own and play.

I can understand being frustrated with bad product and bad service. I'm sure it happens. Everybody makes mistakes. It's how you deal with mistakes as a supplier that really determines the quality of customer satisfaction in the end. I suspect those who complained had legitimate issues and just wanted somebody to help. I think they felt like coming to this forum was their last resort. I choose to believe that people genuinely want to like the product they purchase, and don't want to go through the issues related to poor customer service. I think the newer leadership at Gibson is committed to the customer in a way that didn't exist under the former leadership. 

I have only owned one Gibson and 3 Epiphones. All were perfect, No problems at all and now played for 8 years? All are still perfect and like new condition.  Two are Standards. The Gold Top and the Black Epiphone.  Gibson service responded to me very fast and courteous on what the Gold Top was when I bought it used. 

I've been buying new and used Gibson's starting around 2004. Of all the ones I've bought new, only two had issues which the Gibson Warranty department took care of. The quality on the past few ones are excellent. I have no hesitation buying their brand. ( I feel the same about Martin and Fender). Here's a list of new and used Gibson's I have/had.

1. '29 Uke1
  2. '42 Banner J45
  3. ‘42 LG1
  4. ‘51 LG1
  5. ‘52 J45
  6. '53 ES 150
  7. ‘54 J50
  8. ‘62 C1 Classical
  9. ‘68 Super 400
  10. ‘72 C400 Classical
  11. ‘92 Gibson J-180 Classic
  12. ‘93 Gospel
  13. '94 Centennial 1934 Jumbo RI
  14. '94 1933 Century of Progress
  15. '04 Chet Atkins CG
  16. '04 Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce
  17. '07 J200 CUSTOM KOA 
  18. '07 CJ165 RW
  19. ‘07 AJ Gold
  20. ‘08 1968 LP TriBurst GC custom
  21. '10 J45 Legend 
  22. '10 Jackson Browne 
  23. ‘10 Hummingbird
  24. ‘10 J200 Std
  25. '11 Kristofferson SJ
  26. '12 J200 Custom RW
  27. ‘12 Hummingbird
  28. ‘12 J45 Std
  29. '13 ES 175 
  30. '13 J185 Wildwood Modern Vintage
  31. '13 LG-2 Banner RI (All Hog)
  32. '14 F5L Fern Mandolin
  33. '14 Stage Deluxe LTD 
  34. '14 1932 L00 RI
  35. '14 Les Paul Std
  36. '14 L5 Premier
  37. ‘14 J45 Custom RW
  38. ‘14 AJ Std
  39. ‘15 J45 True Vintage
  40. '15 Stage Deluxe RW
  41. '16 Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood
  42. ‘16 Doves in Flight
  43. '18 L1 F-hole
  44. ‘20 1942 SJ Banner
  45. ‘22 L00 custom (on order)

Seems this post has morphed from an appreciation of Gibson guitars to a discussion about people's nuts.

When I was young I worked in a music store, (I've told this before), and we got in a new Hummingbird....it was 1965/1966  or so.

I played it when there were no customers in the store....fell in love with it....but I was too broke to buy it.  

Ever since, the ONLY acoustic guitar I've ever wanted was a Gibson.  

So, I own 3 Kalamazoo Gibsons, and 3 Bozeman Gibsons.... LOVE them all!

Never had any warranty work.... did get the headstock broken off my Jubilee on a train to Oregon once....repaired it myself.

Had some cracks repaired in my Jubilee....but that was because I treated it badly...didn't even own a case for it for maybe 5 years.

And of course, Leslie had the headstock repaired by Gibson on the Hummingbird 12-String ... but it was broken in the Napa Earthquake.

I actually wrote this yesterday.... thought it got lost...but it popped up today!

I just made a list from memory of the Gibson guitars I have owned since 1965.  I may have forgotten a few that came and went along the way but I believe I have owned 16 of them up to now.  Needless to say, I like the sound and feel of them.  Most of the ones I have owned were bought new only 3 or 4 used.  The quality has been consistent, and I have never had any fit or finish issues with any of them.  The one problem with all of them has been the nut binding usually on the b and g string.  It only takes a couple minutes to file them so they perform better.  It seems a little silly that an issue like that has been going on more than 45 years - but it's simple to fix, it is minor, and very consistent.

TBH, I have never had serious beef with Gibson ever.  I did buy a "dud" one time (2018 LP Classic GT) that I ended up selling, but everything else, fit-and-finish has been pretty damn good.  I don't care who Gibson sues, what others say about neck dive, headstock cracks, etc.  I would only start to care if I heard that Gibson was running a sex trafficking operation that somehow helped them sell guitars.  Well that and exploitation of children...  

I own 11 Gibsons and appreciate every one of them.  I hope one day my kiddos will want to play them... at least one of them!  Then they couldn't say their old man did nothing for them, haha!  

Happy new year fellas, wish all peace and happiness in the year to come!  ✌️

• Like 2

When I lost all of my guitars (except my 75 Flying V at my Mom's house) 3 years ago and coworkers took up a collection, I immediately spent it on the guitar of my dreams - A Goldtop LP axcess custom. It is amazing in every way. The only acoustics I'll own are Gibsons. I'm sure Martins and Taylors are great, just not for me. I've always been a fan, since my Melody Maker.

• Like 4