Gibson Brands Forums

Re-glue a chip or leave it off?

Mr.Woody

Last Sunday while putting my guitar back in its case and putting the humidi-packs in, my wedding ring caught the edge of the sound hole and a "massive" chip broke off. I love the look of beat-up guitars and the chip doesn't bother me so much, but i'm curious of other's views on this. If you were looking to buy this guitar, would you want to see the chip glued back on, or left off?

Here's pics:

AM-JKLXCwSwf04VxesoR2aGMk6jyWJWc8hQcv-k0

AM-JKLWefBJBsZJ8gzHEYqOOIf7wx8hKPWVf6YHC

AM-JKLVu1iNB6ks73E1QN5h9TJMM8fWitzupEflx

AM-JKLUKgAOJYriOQYJX3Le0d7ompH6wwsaNNlWt

AM-JKLWOLEUPDOmtgvwGd_cDibm1DPozwFHoLXg5

Edited by Mr.Woody

First, you have to decide whether you are bothered or not by the damage, and if so, are you (or someone else) going to fix it? Then a third option would be to let a qualified Luthier look at the damage, and quote a price to do a proper repair.

My choices would be to re-glue it myself or have a Luthier fix it.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

That looks like a higher-end J-45.

You have the piece, and it goes back pretty cleanly. If it were mine, I would glue it back in. I might actually have my luthier do it, as it would be like it never happened, and cost me about $100 to fix.

If you leave it out, that may prove to be a pick-catcher over time, and lead to more damage that is not so easily fixed.

"Battle scar" is questionable, but it's not normal play wear. It's a mistake. And as j45Nick said, it could catch on a pick. It could also cut the side of a finger, or break out more of the top or the rosette. Any luthier qualified in finish repair, by mixing a little color tint in with the CA, could make that almost unnoticeable.  If someone was deciding between two similar model guitars, it's quite likely they'll pursue the one with out that unrepaired damage. Check out the video Dan Erlewine did for StewMac on drop fill repairs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

• Like 1

I'm with the glue-it-back crowd. But I'd have a pro do it. It is a repair that won't cost much, and I think gluing stuff back on a guitar is best left to a pro. Do it while you still can.

I like a "roadworn" look as much as the next guy, but this just looks broken. Unless you're Willie Nelson or Glen Hansard, it's a tough look to pull off.

Edited by dhanners623

Definitely glue it back on.  That chip looks like it will stand out, and will probably be the first thing people notice when they see your guitar up close. It will distract them from noticing the inherent beauty of the guitar. 

If it was my guitar, I would glue it back on using wood glue. Then I would get a WATER BASED black pen (as the ones you find in a toy store) and cover the thin cracks completely.  It will quickly wick it's way into the cracks. Then I'd let it dry and wipe off the excess. The fix will potentially be impossible to see.

I onced tried to cover the thin line from a minor crack repair with a PERMANT black marker, but it melted the finish and left a big mess. I have since done similar small repairs with water based pens, and it works great and can do no harm. 

Good luck!

Lars

Edited by Lars68
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, kidblast said:

if you haven't reglued this yet, my only question would be, what are ya waiting for.  🙂 

He is waiting on 10 - 15 more posts on what advice to take. If more say glue - glue, if more say leave it - leave it, I guess?

I am assuming the owner was going in to grab the humidity packs and smashed down on the edge of the sound hole with his ring, and since it looks routed for the rosette it chipped there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Hi all, sorry for the slow reply!! 

I have not glued the chip back in yet, but am considering letting a luthier do it. Not really sure of the cost/benefit ratio. I have a bottle of Titebond II sitting on the table here, and am completely comfortable doing it myself, although my wife has mentioned this being an expensive guitar (just under $5k), so it would be better to have it professionally done so it doesn't turn out looking "redneck" lol  The top has started showing quite a few scratches (super thin finish), so I'm not sure it would be worth paying a luthier to make it "invisible" when there will be a bunch of scratches nearby. Thoughts?

I'm guessing since this isn't a warranty repair, taking it to a non-Gibson-authorized luthier won't have any impact on my Gibson warranty?

Oh, also as for the ring: I was tucking in the flap on the humidipack and when I pulled my fingers back out of the soundhole, my ring (with sharp edges) caught the edge. It all happened so quickly!! Never had that happen before for sure! 

So here's what it looks like with the chip put back in place. Thoughts on having a luthier "do it right" and make it look like it never happened vs just doing it myself and coloring in the edges to hide it as best as possible?

Just for info sake, it's a 2018 "1942 J-45 Legend" bought at CME.

AM-JKLVPvHrD3-V3YswtNUoOvdtJKbA4zkBwnz9R

AM-JKLUAx8msD05ndvpsQbx5D7V4-2QwMssb1smi

AM-JKLXF7XSgBfrNoKIxR_dC4dleJzqDcEScLVMd

Also, here's my wedding ring. It's made from meteorite. It used to be mirror polished and the edges were more rounded, but over the last 12 years the "grain" has started showing, and the edges have sharpened a good bit. Funny thing.....my ring also has a chip in it lol

AM-JKLUFIUHHhq9ELOukg43l1VbxX3m4eAgAyhUl

Edited by Mr.Woody
  • Like 1