Gibson Brands Forums

New "RAw Power" Gibsons

Geff

Has any one else seen these new SG and LPs. I think they got it wrong again. Mahogany neck on a maple body. Shouldnt it have been the other way around? Other than that it seems like a good idea. A stripped down guitar with decent pickups. Hopefully the QC and price will make this a sensible option.

I'm seriously digging the gold SG. I would prefer an ebony board but I like the idea of the maple neck; no snappy offy head. =D>/

Thats my point. What I have read suggests the neck is mahogany with a Maple fretboard and maple body.

Therefore, snappy offy neck still a problem and maple body not giving the SG tonal qualities.

If it had a mahogany body and maple neck, that would be sensible.

Now seeing different information on different (both Gibson) pages. One says all maple, the other says maple body and fretboard but mahogany neck. Which is correct (they are both Gibson official pages).

The les paul says mahogany on the specs sheet but the SG says maple.

I am not sure why the les paul ones are more expesive then the regular studio's.

I do think it is a neat idea though.

Although this is the SG page, assuming that is correct, my question would be why have a mahogany neck on the LP when the rest is maple AND the SG has a maple neck. We all "know" a maple neck will get rid of/reduce a known fault area so how come Gibson don't?

Although this is the SG page' date=' assuming that is correct, my question would be why have a mahogany neck on the LP when the rest is maple AND the SG has a maple neck. We all "know" a maple neck will get rid of/reduce a known fault area so how come Gibson don't?[/quote']

Actually this page says they both have the mahogany necks. I agree if they want to go maple then go ALL maple.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/the-new-raw-power-guitars-401/

you guys need to quit trippin so hard' date=' i think its a nice addition to gibsons tonal pallette.

you dont like em', dont buy one[/quote']

+1

I don't know why, but they kinda caught my attention. I'll probably get one when they come out.

One love

you guys need to quit trippin so hard' date=' i think its a nice addition to gibsons tonal pallette.

i happen to own three radically different axes, and like having the variety it allows,

you dont like em', dont buy one[/quote']

I certainly wouldn't consider buying one of these. I'm not sure why they didn't simply go all maple (why the mahogany neck?) and put an ebony fretboard on the sucker.

Gibson must have manufactured these as props for "Fashion Week" somewhere...

i think its kinda cool its a good idea i love the idea that they are trying to bring gibsons to the masses and listening about the prices and how they are too high! the more i look at them the more i like what i see and the more i realize that all that binding and flash isnt needed.

short, me like!

I have always wanted an SG with a maple fretboard. I'll have to try one of these when they hit stores because I'm not sure how I feel about the solid maple bodies, but based solely on looks/price, I like the idea. The LPs look cool too, but I'm not really a fan of LP Studios.

Gibson won't make a proper early-60's Vibrola-equipped SG REISSUE (and no, the Historic is NOT the SG I'm looking for, sorry) yet we keep getting novelty monstrosities like these?!?!? I've always said I don't go for these kindsa' things, but they're fine in the lineup AS LONG AS THEY'RE DOING THE TRIED AND TRUE STUFF RIGHT. I don't have a problem with "innovation" as long as the frankenstein experiments don't muck up the elegance of the original designs and appeal. Like has already been said: there was nothing wrong with the guitars from the 60's, so you'd think Gibson would be all about doing those 60's style SG's justice with the reissues to take advantage of the demand for guitars from that era. I think improved, more authentic reissues would help Gibson get out of the funk and earn back some of that pride & appreciation. And okay, whatever, if you want a maple-fretboard SG that's great, keep making the occasional odd flavor, I'm sure they'll move as long as they don't sound like crap (although I think to TRULY take advantage of the tone of maple, there oughta' be push-pull coil-taps on the pickups). But the real attention right now should be directed towards earning back some cred for the classic SG design.

Gibson's R&D department must be on drugs. And if not, LIE and say you are, because the alternative requires you to wear a helmet at all times. Ugh.

H-Bomb

Archived