Gibson Brands Forums

New "RAw Power" Gibsons

Geff

i hear they sound exactly like a fender (since those are usually made from maple)

if anybody has a video or something of someone playing the natural sg please email me it

(i think theres a link to send an email above my post)

i hear they sound exactly like a fender (since those are usually made from maple)

if anybody has a video or something of someone playing it please post it below

You know, this is exactly what I expected the Raw Power SG's to sound like. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the 57s are some of the lower output PUs that Gibson makes, so apart from the obvious differences in tone that results from the humbucking of humbuckers, this should come pretty close to sounding like those low output single coils that so many Fenders have, especially when combined with the maple body/fretboard. I'm actually really looking forward to getting an SG Raw Power now, due to 2 things:

1) I've been in love with a White SG w/ Gold hardware, and it looks like this will be my chance to get one

2) I still need a Fender, and the only one I've been pleased with was a 1400 dollar AM Standard SHS.

In my eyes, assuming the price is indeed the rumored $999 (someone threw that figure out in a thread in the Les Paul forums after discussing the Raw Power series with their local Gibson dealer) and these guitars do turn out to sound very Fender-ish, a Raw Power SG appears to be a good two birds, one stone kind of deal for me, considering it's really only in my budget to get one new guitar this year.

I agree the gold SG looks sweet. So does the natural one in my personal opinion. And 57' classics are totally sweet. I don't really like the inlays though. Especially the trap. I'd like to see black dot inlays and some covers so they don't look so cheap. With that said.....I want one.

Am I the only one who doesn't like them (bring on the flaming...)

I thought Gibson already had a 'workhorse' - The Studio. I definately prefer the coloured ones to the natural, but those maple necks just don't look right IMHO.

I'd throw a black pick guard on it and some chrome pickup covers.

I was thinking the same thing.

Am I the only one who doesn't like them (bring on the flaming...)

I thought Gibson already had a 'workhorse' - The Studio. I definately prefer the coloured ones to the natural' date=' but those maple necks just don't look right IMHO.[/quote']

I'm on board with the haters.

the SG doesnt have gold hardware only Les Pauls =D>

I was under the impression that all models of the Raw Power series were available with both gold and chrome hardware. I may be mistaken though. Either way, it can't be all that difficult to install a couple pick up covers and replace the bridge. With how amazing that gold hardware would look on a that white finish, it'd be well worth the effort.

This seems to be the trend... when Gibson makes the same guitar over and over again' date=' people complain that they don't innovate... then, when they do something different, people complain that it's wrong.[/quote']Hmmm really? People complain that Gibson isnt innovative enough? I wasnt aware. Whats "right" about an SG shaped L-6S?

In my eyes' date=' assuming the price is indeed the rumored $999 (someone threw that figure out in a thread in the Les Paul forums after discussing the Raw Power series with their local Gibson dealer) and these guitars do turn out to sound very Fender-ish, a Raw Power SG appears to be a good two birds, one stone kind of deal for me, considering it's really only in my budget to get one new guitar this year.[/quote']

That was me... what my rep said was that the retail price on the les pauls should be somewhere just above $1100, but they are going to price them at $999 when they get them in. That store in particular has been slightly discounting Gibson's prices pretty much across the board since the last few price hikes. I got my LP Traditional for $2099, when it should have been a few hundred more according to other online retailers. So no, I don't expect $999 to be a valid street price for everybody, at least not for the LPs. The SG might slide in under a grand though.

Archived