Gibson Brands Forums

Why don't Carvin guitars rule the earth?

RudyH

I got a Carvin catalog in the mail yesterday and was really impressed by their guitars. The prices seem very reasonable for what you get. I don't know how they sound, which of course is the single most important factor, but if they're good sounding, they should be selling more than they are. Very attractive. They have some very nice under $1000 Strat-style guitars.

I got a Carvin catalog in the mail yesterday and was really impressed by their guitars. The prices seem very reasonable for what you get. I don't know how they sound' date=' which of course is the single most important factor, but if they're good sounding, they should be selling more than they are. Very attractive. They have some very nice under $1000 Strat-style guitars.[/quote']

Post the link so c I can get tht catalog.

thanks

Homz:

I got the catalog out of the blue. I don't have any further information on them. The catalog does refer to a website where you can pick options and order a guitar. I've read reviews in the mags and they have always been favorable.

NeoConMan:

Ha! You may be right! I think that's why Fender dramatically increased their prices very recently. There's so much competition in the $1000 to $2000 range, their very fine $999 American Standard Stratocaster simply had to go up in price.

I see a lot more Carvin basses out there than I see guitars. Coincidentally I was just browsing through the same catalog.

I don't know, I just really do not like the way Carvins look, too flashy for my taste. They look like PRS to me.

Not a lot of famous artists use them, that always seem to get people's attention.

I've thought about buying their California Carved top in Dragon Burst finish, but I've never played one. I knew one guy who had one but he wouldn't let anyone touch it. I have thumped on a bass once since I knew this guy who used to endorse them - he would give him free guitars to use.

As for famous players - Joe Walsh, Craig Chaquico, Tony McAlpine, Steve Vai (amps), and Allen Holdsworth.

Now if AXE and Thunder God bought one, they would be on the radar for every kid to buy one.

The other thing about Carvin is that they are a direct seller. They may have a store somewhere.

To me it would be tough to fork out money for a guitar I have never seen.

They do have stores. I've been in the Santa Ana store in CA.

I was at one time considering the Carvin semi hollow body guitar, but never got down there to play it. When I was working with a band back in the 80s, we used a Carvin PA system that never gave us any problems.

Hey, they have some pretty good people endorsing their guitars. They're probably worth it.

I have a bass player friend who collects guitars and amps.He bought a Carvin 5 or 6 years ago and asked me to set it up.I've set up a number of his guitars for him.This guitar had a Floyd Rose and I havent had the chance to set up too many of them so I was looking forward to this.I had the guitar for 2weeks and my observation was that I had NEVER set up a guitar like this .It played flawlesly.I had the action set at 1/32 at the 12th fret on the high E and 3/64 on the low E 12th fret and there was NO fret buzz.It was a neck through.It played effortlessly.At first I wanted to buy it off him even though I'm not a Floyd guy.But after playing it for a week I realized it had no soul,Does that make sense?I just did'nt enjoy playing it. There was no fight , no feeling.I'd finally played a guitar that was flawless playing wise and I just did'nt like it.

why? because they are badly imitated PRS guitars. ive played one once it was perfect yes but it just felt too perfect like kmartem said in the previous post. compare them to a prs' date=' the prs feels awesome the carvin... not so much[/quote']

Are you ilovegibson? Cause i swear you sound just like him!

why? because they are badly imitated PRS guitars. ive played one once it was perfect yes but it just felt too perfect like kmartem said in the previous post. compare them to a prs' date=' the prs feels awesome the carvin... not so much[/quote']

To say that Carvin guitars are "badly imitated PRS guitars" shows that you really have no clue about guitar history. Carvin has been making guitars probably as long as Paul Reed has been alive (although I really don't know how old he is).

I would almost say that PRS copied Carvin's basic design ideas and put his own twist on them. You should check out the link that Cruznolfart posted with Carvin's history.

Archived