Gibson Brands Forums

A Question About Buying an LP

cjgolf2000

Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new around here - don't post much but read (and learn) a lot.

Anyway, I am turning 40 this year and as a present to myself, I am getting an LP. There is a good store nearby that is well stocked with all the different models. The problem is that I HATE trying guitars in the store. I find it intimidating to play and try several different guitars through an amp in a busy store. Not only is it noisy with other people doing the same, I always feel rushed. I am a half decent player (taken lessons etc.) but by no means a pro - so part of the problem is also being self conscious. Anyway, if I put a down payment down (so they know I am serious), do you think they would let me take each different model home for a night to try with my own gear? This would be a much easier way to decide which one is best for me.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

If it's a Guitar Center, I believe they have a 30-day return policy. You could buy and bring back, but that may be a hassle.

Does the store have any kind of more private room they could set you up in? I would think since you are serious, they should try to accomodate you as much as possible.

Personnally I like playing with people around. I love it when they come up to me and request a song or comment on something I am playing...

Ah, just block 'em out, and bug the kid workin' th' floor to get about 15 guitars down, preferably the ones about 20 feet up on the wall, try 'em all through a couple amps, and don't ask the kid anything, he'll just tell you it's a *****in' guitar, and that'll be the extent of his knowledge.

Ah' date=' just block 'em out, and bug the kid workin' th' floor to get about 15 guitars down, preferably the ones about 20 feet up on the wall, try 'em all through a couple amps, and don't ask the kid anything, he'll just tell you it's a *****in' guitar, and that'll be the extent of his knowledge.[/quote']

Yeah, One time I walked into GC before I bought my Les Paul and told the salesman I wanted to try every Gibson Les Paul model to determine which one I liked best. He set me in the middle of the store and put about 5 LP's around me on stands and let me go. It was awesome...=D>

Not Guitar Center since I am from Canada. I see what you guys are saying but trying it at home in my basement with my own pedals and my amp cranked would still be better...

What is the store's return policy? You could narrow it down in the store and take home the one you want, try it, return it, try another, etc. etc. Again this would be a hassle but if the store lets you do it with no money loss then go for it.

Would the store be opposed to letting you bring your equipment into the store? That's always another option. Of course you'd have all the eyes on you, but just ignore them and play away...

I used to have the same problem with guitar stores - didn't want to make noise, etc. I got over it when I picked out my Les Paul. I ended up having an impromptu jam in the middle of the store with some kid and generally had a good time.

Guitar stores are full of people playing like crap, and odds are you'll never seen 90% of the people in them ever again. Just let her rip and pick the guitar best for you.

I hate trying guitars in store also........ I always find people have a few riffs they play that look and sound great. So my cunning plan is to learn a few riffs etc and then I will look as cool as the other kids..... =D>/

Ha ha ha... I think most people here agree...Esentially what do you play? thats the problem... Could be a good new thread..."What do you play when trying out a guitar"

Regards

Flight959

cjgolf, it wouldn't hurt to ask. I have that luxury but only because I know somebody. It also helps that I've dropped a ton of money in the store. :-({|=

Another thing you could try is play the guitar unplugged to see how you like it. Then get a sales guy to play it plug it in and demo it for you. Long & McQuade has a 30 day return policy. You could also just put the guitar on your credit card, take it home for a few days and return it if you don't like it. Where abouts in S. Ontario are you?

I have seen alot of replys about buying a les paul, from studio's to standards and so on. I am a great lover of the les paul, but also am one of the people that money and family are a big part when getting a guitar. The thing that I have learned and most of the players that I know, look at what it is they want and what they can afored. Now days most people want a player, that is a guitar ( of course we are talking les pauls here ) that they can play and the biggest thing is the sound or tone. For me and most of the players I know are not all that fond of the new les pauls.

Tone is not like the older ones. Now we are talking about guitars made from early 90's and later. The newer ones are getting to be all electronic. All the sound is programed in it, this is not a guitar player guitar. So all in all it is up to you and what you want, so just play what you like and that is all that matters.

What do you guy all think, really how up do really feel about the new les paul

I'm totally with you. I hate playing in front of other people in stores, doesn't matter at gigs but for some reason I hate it when I'm trying out a potential new buy. My favourite local store has soundproof booths for trying out gear (although I'm well aware playing through their cranked JCM800 will still be heard somehow it feels ok). My advice is this, bearing in mind you are considering buying a guitar costing a considerable amount of money, take a day off and audition a few you like the look of in the morning. That way the workers will be at work and the rest will most likely be in bed. Job done!

Where abouts in S. Ontario are you?

I am in Kitchener. I bought my Taylor at the Cambridge Long and McQuade so have dropped a bit of cash there. Like everywhere times are tough so I don't think I am asking a lot. They do know me from past purchases. If it comes down to making a sale for $2000+ or not, I would think that they would let me take a few home to try. My feeling is that if they are not willing to do it, I will take my business elsewhere...maybe it's just not something they do though. When I bought my Taylor, I tried a bunch of different acoustics and everything was cool - played dust in the wind, an acoustic version of panama and generally screwed around. Playing an electric through an amp is different though. I have my amp and the pedals I like at home. I am going to to run it by them the next chance I get...I'll let you guys know what happened....

Thanks for the replies so far...

Ha ha ha... I think most people here agree...Esentially what do you play? thats the problem... Could be a good new thread..."What do you play when trying out a guitar"

Regards

Flight959

Stairway and Smoke natch

cj,

I remember early on I hated trying out amps in a store. I didn't mind playing in front of people, but when practicing or trying out a guitar I was very self conscience (and I'm still the same way ... especially with practicing). When going back early on (probably around the stage you are in now), a lot of my by being self conscience was that there were older kids around me who were ripping off licks I just simply couldn't do yet, so I felt embarrassed. Problem was I knew I had to eventually plug it in. What I did to combat my nerves was just start ripping off some blues licks that I knew well enough to play w/out messing up and drawing attention to myself. What happened however, was that I did in fact draw some attention because a few people came up and said how much they liked hearing the blues in the midst of a bunch of metal heads (yes, I was into metal as well) ... anyway, it gave me more confidence in a situation with which I was uncomfortable. Keep it simple & do what you know ... chances are you'll stand out as being more pleasant to listen to for some as well.

My local music store will let me take guitars/amps home to check out. (I actually gig em'!)

My local car/truck dealer lets me bring home new cars and trucks for the weekend to check em' out too.

I'd say if you are a good customer it's perfectly normal.

Murph.

Hi everyone!

Anyway' date=' I am turning 40 this year and as a present to myself, I am getting an LP. There is a good store nearby that is well stocked with all the different models. The problem is that I HATE trying guitars in the store. I find it intimidating to play and try several different guitars through an amp in a busy store. Not only is it noisy with other people doing the same, I always feel rushed. I am a half decent player (taken lessons etc.) but by no means a pro - so part of the problem is also being self conscious. Anyway, if I put a down payment down (so they know I am serious), do you think they would let me take each different model home for a night to try with my own gear? This would be a much easier way to decide which one is best for me.

Your thoughts?

Thanks! [/quote']

When I turned 40 last year I bought my first LP. So congrats. It's a great milestone present.

When I turned 40 last year I bought my first LP. So congrats. It's a great milestone present.

I'd worn the frets off my first Les Paul ('72 Recording) before I turned 40.

But it took 14 years of every sleezy biker bar from Apache Jct. Arizona, to Lake Charles Louisiana, to the Communist State of Illinois (ever heard of an FOID card?) to do it.

Best of luck.

Murph.

OK, here's a story for you. I was 23 years old when I gave my first presentation at a technical conference. I had a horrible time with it. I couldn't sleep the night before and when the time came to give the presentation I just bombed it; mainly because I got intimidated by seeing all the "giants" of my field in the audience. Unfortunately it wasn't until later when I remembered what my music teacher once said: "if you are going to hit the wrong note, then hit it so hard that everyone will think it's the right note." No he wasn't advocating hitting wrong notes. His point was to not worry about making mistakes and not to care what people think. Fortunately I had to give another presentation the next day and I did fine. Now some 17 years later I've been on national and local TV and radio several times and I don't even flinch at the thought of it.

So do you really care what other people think? I know there are those people who go to guitar stores, crank it way up and blast one modal scale after another to impress people. I just laugh at them and do my own thing. Tune them out, check out all the guitars you want and enjoy playing them. You've waited a long time to get the guitar of your dreams (I did too). Don't let some idiots spoil it for you...

BTW. I'm in the Buffalo area. Come on down and I'll take you to the HOG in Rochester where you'll get a great deal (they offered me $900 less than what GC did for my Premium Plus!).

Long & McQuade should have a private room you can get. As well as a very wide selection of guitars and amps. I've always had good experience with them.

Just be honest, tell the (manager preferably) staff that you are serious about buying but self conscious about playing in the middle of the sales floor to audition the guitars, need peace and quiet etc., it is an important purchase for you, whatever you want to tell them. You should be able to get them to give you the room for a good while, and with the amp you want to try it with (OR bring in your own amp, as I've done in the past). L&M knows me well as I've bought numerous big ticket items from them so they do give me preferential treatment I suppose, but the only way I got this treatment in the first place was to ASK nicely. As for taking the gear home I'm not sure as they are taking a big risk letting someone do that (damage, etc), I've never asked them to let me do that and really, never felt the need to do it since the private room was always there for me. But I guess its not worth a try.

I hope your local L&M is as devoted to great customer service as mine is.

Happy B-day...

I just bought my 1st LP as a 40th B-day gift to myself too... Best gift ever!

Who cares what anyone thinks, Play every single LP in the store. I played around a dozen or so before

I found mine. I was in my own LP fantasy land and was completley oblivious to the outside world as I was surrounded by what seemed like 30-40 LP's from every model and era.

To me going to the store and grabbing many different guitars to try is the best part about buying a guitar.

If your really that self conscious about your playing go to the store when it opens up on a week day when no customers will be there.

I know what it's like not being the greatest guitar player.

I'm a Bass player and I'm so so on the guitar, when I tried the LP's everyone that heard me play knew it.

And I cranked it!

To everyone it sounded like a dieing squealing pig.

To me it was the best playing I've ever done on a guitar.

Enjoy the LP... and Play the SHIIT out of it!

Thanks for all the replies!

You guys are right and I don't care (that much) what people will think - as others have stated I will likely never see them again. I just think taking it home will give me more time to inspect it and play it through my gear while not feeling rushed. Anyhow, it's supposed to snow here on Monday and I work at a golf course so that may be the day to go and see what happens. Monday morning is probably a slow time for them anyway.

It's cool that others have also gotten LP's when they turned forty - my birthday is not till the summer but the tax man is sending me a refund that will allow me to get it early!

Cheers!

Hi everyone!

Anyway' date=' I am turning 40 this year and as a present to myself, I am getting an LP. There is a good store nearby that is well stocked with all the different models. The problem is that I HATE trying guitars in the store. I find it intimidating to play and try several different guitars through an amp in a busy store. Not only is it noisy with other people doing the same, I always feel rushed. I am a half decent player (taken lessons etc.) but by no means a pro - so part of the problem is also being self conscious. Anyway, if I put a down payment down (so they know I am serious), do you think they would let me take each different model home for a night to try with my own gear? This would be a much easier way to decide which one is best for me.

Your thoughts?

Thanks! [/quote'] Learn some parts from Stairway to Heaven or something like that at home and then you can play in the store, or just simply play whatever you want, couse no one in the store will care and no one in the store will ever meet you again.

Archived