Gibson Brands Forums

1957 Gibson J160e

c70man

I'm purchasing this guitar friday of this week from a friend. Probably for a flip, but I have a few questions. So much disparity in pricing online for that model. I'm wondering your opinions on real value and the best way to market this instrument. This one is all original, serial number correct, bridge correct, tuners correct and electronics sound good. A two-owner guitar. I'll be the third. but I'm having my luthier go over it and setting it up for perfect intonation and action. Redressing or replacing frets as needed, making sure the neck is perfect angle with correct saddle break for the strings. I'm a player, but I have enough guitars at the moment. Just can't afford to keep adding. Plenty of checking and I wouldn't grade it as excellent, just good.  Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks. I can add pics on Friday or Saturday, then it's off to the luthier.

3 hours ago, c70man said:

I'm purchasing this guitar friday of this week from a friend. Probably for a flip, but I have a few questions. So much disparity in pricing online for that model. I'm wondering your opinions on real value and the best way to market this instrument. This one is all original, serial number correct, bridge correct, tuners correct and electronics sound good. A two-owner guitar. I'll be the third. but I'm having my luthier go over it and setting it up for perfect intonation and action. Redressing or replacing frets as needed, making sure the neck is perfect angle with correct saddle break for the strings. I'm a player, but I have enough guitars at the moment. Just can't afford to keep adding. Plenty of checking and I wouldn't grade it as excellent, just good.  Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks. I can add pics on Friday or Saturday, then it's off to the luthier.

c70man,

I suspect the Luthier might be a good resource regarding a potential selling price.

RBSinTo

C'mon ya'll. Calm down.

Yeah, the time to look into value especially when it involves a guitar you are thinking about flipping is before you make the deal.  What that value is I do not have a clue as I have never had more than a passing interest in this model.  And the reason they have never got my juices flowing is they are an electric guitar.    In fact, my understanding is that Gibson originally planned to market these as a Les Paul flattop but they could never get Les to sign off on it. But unplugged I do not think I have ever run into a slope shoulder jumbo which sounded as thin and quiet as these.  On the other hand, as recently pointed out in another thread, the model does have the allure of it being associated with the Beatles going for it. And that I do get.  Just last Saturday I cut a deal on a Kingston electric mandolin.  Main reason I jumped on it was I ran across a photo of Brian Jones playing one.  That photo definitely boots it into the cool category.  

Edited by zombywoof

3 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

C'mon ya'll. Calm down.

Yeah, the time to look into value especially when it involves a guitar you are thinking about flipping is before you make the deal.  What that value is I do not have a clue as I have never had more than a passing interest in this model.  And the reason they have never got my juices flowing is they are an electric guitar.    In fact, my understanding is that Gibson originally planned to market these as a Les Paul flattop but they could never get Les to sign off on it. But unplugged I do not think I have ever run into a slope should jumbo which sounded as thin and quiet as these.  On the other hand, as recently pointed out in another thread, the model does have the allure of it being associated with the Beatles going for it. And that I do get.  Just last Saturday I cut a deal on a Kingston electric mandolin.  Main reason, I ran across a photo of Brian Jones playing one.  Definitely boots it into the cool category.

Thanks. I'm only buying this to help out a friend. If I like it, I'll probably keep it. It's a vintage Gibson.  We haven't come to a final selling price yet and I don't want to stiff him. I have a limit to what I can spend too.

I like the guitar.... without The Beatles association, I'd not pay more than $1K for a good one.... might get a little more with the J-160e Lennon/Harrison mix-up allure.

But I don't want to represent myself as any expert.... I just stated what I'd pay.

My BIL has one, and it stays in there with my Dove...unplugged.

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why would a guitar be worth more just cause an artist played that model? Its not the actual one John played. Its either a good guitar or it isn't. Are all Strats worth more cause Jimi lit one on fire . . . um NO.

How do you KNOW Strats aren't worth more 'cause Jimi set one on fire?    I personally don't like them much (although I own one)...I think the Tele, Jaguar or Jazzmaster are better guitars.

35 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

How do you KNOW Strats aren't worth more 'cause Jimi set one on fire?    I personally don't like them much (although I own one)...I think the Tele, Jaguar or Jazzmaster are better guitars.

Go look on Reverb and see what used USA Strats go for, you can find them for $800 - 1200 all day long. Now if USA Strats were $4000, I would agree with you, but if you want to argue to just to argue ok. I'm talking just an American Standard Strat not any custom job or a limited run.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Go look on Reverb and see what used USA Strats go for, you can find them for $800 - 1200 all day long. Now if USA Strats were $4000, I would agree with you, but if you want to argue to just to argue ok. I'm talking just an American Standard Strat not any custom job or a limited run.

My point is....they might be only $600-$800 if Jimi hadn't set fire to one.....we'll just never know.... as I said, I don't even like them much....I'd rather play a Tele.

Isn't the J-160e a plywood guitar (B & S) anyway?

If nothing else, Gibson was real proprietary when it came to those P90 pickups.  Despite having a contract to supply Harmony with electronics, they would only give them the P13 pickups.  Even the National 1155E although distributed by Gibson's parent company CMI and beginning in 1947 built by Gibson (although from 1949 on Gibson supplied only the bodies) only got the P13.   

30 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

My point is....they might be only $600-$800 if Jimi hadn't set fire to one.....we'll just never know.... as I said, I don't even like them much....I'd rather play a Tele.

The J160E had a solid top from 1954 into early-1956.  The switch to a three ply top was obviously meant to cut down on feedback.    And on the Tele - my #1 electric for decades was a 1958 Tele.   Everything you needed and nothing you did not.

Edited by zombywoof

9 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The J160E had a solid top from 1954 into early-1956.  The switch to a three ply top was obviously meant to cut down on feedback.    And on the Tele - my #1 electric for decades was a 1958 Tele.   Everything you needed and nothing you did not.

Agree 100%

7 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

So we’re gonna argue over 200 - 400 dollars. Ok you win.

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Not sure why you perceive every discussion as an argument. 

It's a forum for discussion of all things Gibson Acoustic....not a debating class.

Ok we’re discussing, not arguing. I understand what a forum is and it’s intended purpose. I made my comment about Jimi and Strats and you commented like Strats are some rare thing we never see and that we can’t get them and that they are priced so high just cause some guy over 50 years ago played one with his teeth and burned one. Now finding a pre-CBS one sure I’ll go along with that, but a Strat can be had for even a few hundred if you want one with your salsa and chips.
Or do you think Mexican Strats would be $200 instead of $400 cause the guy who wins every best guitarists poll played one.

Are LP’s more cause Page played the. Nope they cost what they cost cause that is what Gibson charges for them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

I understand what a forum is and it’s intended purpose. I made my comment about Jimi and Strats and you commented like Strats are some rare thing we never see and that we can’t get them just cause some guy over 50 years ago played one with his teeth and burned one. Now finding a pre-CBS one sure I’ll go along with that, but a Strat can be had for even a few hundred if you want one with your salsa and chips.

A "MIM" Strat is not a Strat to me....but that's just me.

I think a lot of people want/buy Strats just because of their allure.....doesn't make them bad just makes them popular.

Could be Clapton playing one... Jimmy Page playing one...or dozens and dozens of other top-notch players playing one.

I think it's a good guitar....just not as good as a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, (IMO).

Les Pauls have that same allure.... I don't own one, and probably never will....now a Tele...that's different.

See?    We're just talkin' here!