Gibson Brands Forums

1957 Gibson J160e

c70man

3 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

A "MIM" Strat is not a Strat to me....but that's just me.

I think a lot of people want/buy Strats just because of their allure.....doesn't make them bad just makes them popular.

Could be Clapton playing one... Jimmy Page playing one...or dozens and dozens of other top-notch players playing one.

I think it's a good guitar....just not as good as a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, (IMO).

Les Pauls have that same allure.... I don't own one, and probably never will....now a Tele...that's different.

See?    We're just talkin' here!

I’ve owned at least one of every guitar we are discussing. All great all different. I don’t own any guitars not made in ‘Merica.

IIRC, some of Kalamazoo’s earliest J-160e instruments had solid tops.  But thereafter, the tops were laminated, very thick, and had ladder bracing  (the focus being on it’s electric viability).  The few laminated top examples I’ve played were absolutely dead on arrival as an acoustic guitar.

J-160e versions produced in Bozeman have sometimes had solid tops with X-bracing (essentially a typical J-45 with a P90), while others have attempted to accurately recreate Lennon’s laminated-top version.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:16 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Are LP’s more cause Page played them?

The player-associated market hike falls into two categories, generalised and specific.

Guitars such as Les Pauls, Strats and Teles are made iconic (ergo valuable) by association with an aggregate group of players. So, in short, LPs are more valuable because Page played them, but also because of all of the other iconic guitarists who chose them. Likewise with Strats. Is it Hendrix? Knopfler? Buddy Guy? Hank Marvin? Absolutely. 

By contrast, the J160E has a very specific player association, that being Lennon and Harrison. I know there are other notable players who use them (Elvis Costello, Mark Kozelek and Serge Pizzorno come to mind), but those players aren’t solely associated with the J160E. It will forever be the Beatles acoustic, and will command a premium as such. Beatles enthusiasts wanting to own a good example of an original J160E, a guitar that wasn’t made in as vast a number as, say, a J45 or J200, will naturally push the price up. Supply Vs Demand.

To the OP, a good bellwether for what a guitar similar to yours is fetching is to look for Reverb listings that have ended. There are always dreamers and sellers trying to hype the market with high ticket listings that sit unsold for years on end, but market forces will always dictate true value.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

The player-associated market hike falls into two categories, generalised and specific.

Guitars such as Les Pauls, Strats and Teles are made iconic (ergo valuable) by association with an aggregate group of players. So, in short, LPs are more valuable because Page played them, but also because of all of the other iconic guitarists who chose them. Likewise with Strats. Is it Hendrix? Knopfler? Buddy Guy? Hank Marvin? Absolutely. 

By contrast, the J160E has a very specific player association, that being Lennon and Harrison. I know there are other notable players who use them (Elvis Costello, Mark Kozelek and Serge Pizzorno come to mind), but those players aren’t solely associated with the J160E. It will forever be the Beatles acoustic, and will command a premium as such. Beatles enthusiasts wanting to own a good example of an original J160E, a guitar that wasn’t made in as vast a number as, say, a J45 or J200, will naturally push the price up. Supply Vs Demand.

To the OP, a good bellwether for what a guitar similar to yours is fetching is to look for Reverb listings that have ended. There are always dreamers and sellers trying to hype the market with high ticket listings that sit unsold for years on end, but market forces will always dictate true value.

A well-reasoned post.   Thanks

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

A well-reasoned post.   Thanks

He makes great points but I still don’t think a guitar is priced how it is because more famous people played these and not so famous people played those. Back in the 60’s or so chance’s are if someone was playing an electric it was made by Gibson or Fender and If someone was playing an acoustic it was those same two companies plus Guild. Yes we would see the odd ball stuff from time to time. Guitars are priced how they are because that is what the company wants for it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He makes great points but I still don’t think a guitar is priced how it is because more famous people played these and not so famous people played those. Back in the 60’s or so chance’s are if someone was playing an electric it was made by Gibson or Fender and If someone was playing an acoustic it was those same two companies plus Guild. Yes we would see the odd ball stuff from time to time. Guitars are priced how they are because that is what the company wants for it. 

You're right.... back then we played what we could get..... When I moved over from rhythm guitar to bass, I would have rather had a P-Bass....but they were scarce as hen's teeth....and the music store I worked in got a Jazz Bass in their warehouse.... I bought it before it ever his any of their stores....but that was then and this is now.

21 minutes ago, c70man said:

I guess my topic was hi-jacked. Oh well, thanks anyway. I got the guitar and plugged into my 67 deluxe reverb it sounds great.  Unplugged, not so much.

J160e 2.jpg

Yeah.  Sorry.   When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.  Or Jimmy Hendrix and Strats. 

31 minutes ago, slimt said:

It looks good.    Did you check to see if it Laminate or a solid top? 

it is 5mm thick or .196" at the sound hole. pretty thick.  I'm pretty sure its laminate because of the thickness. hard to tell looking at it.

soundhole.jpg

On 1/10/2022 at 11:28 AM, c70man said:

I'm purchasing this guitar friday of this week from a friend. Probably for a flip, but I have a few questions. So much disparity in pricing online for that model. I'm wondering your opinions on real value and the best way to market this instrument. This one is all original, serial number correct, bridge correct, tuners correct and electronics sound good. A two-owner guitar. I'll be the third. but I'm having my luthier go over it and setting it up for perfect intonation and action. Redressing or replacing frets as needed, making sure the neck is perfect angle with correct saddle break for the strings. I'm a player, but I have enough guitars at the moment. Just can't afford to keep adding. Plenty of checking and I wouldn't grade it as excellent, just good.  Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks. I can add pics on Friday or Saturday, then it's off to the luthier.

Made a mistake. It's a 1956. Serial number on neck block starts with a "V", not an A.

3 hours ago, c70man said:

it is 5mm thick or .196" at the sound hole. pretty thick.  I'm pretty sure its laminate because of the thickness. hard to tell looking at it.

soundhole.jpg

The ladder horizontal bracing is clearly visible.  When coupled with the thick top (most likely laminate), you’re bound to get the muted acoustic tone this model is known for.  No matter, you’ve got a golden era P90 mounted on there, which should be capable of producing some gorgeously unique tones as it sits on that platform.  We surely know of at least a few guys who made darn good use of it!