Gibson Brands Forums

New member here. Im hoping some of you can help me out? Gibson and Epihone fan and have a few questions.

KevAd

Hello everyone,

I am new here and I am really hoping to be able to gain some info from some of you if you don't mind. 

My son who is 16 has been playing for about 4 years and has now stepped into the world of upper echelon guitars. He has recently purchased a Gibson Les Paul honeyburst which, according to the Gibson representative I spoke to when I called the toll free line and according to various dating websites say the guitar is a Gibson 2019 Les Paul Classic. HOWEVER, when we were purchasing the guitar I questioned whether it was a real. There are a number of things that don't match the specs of the guitar according to the Gibson legacy website. 

I'll highlight some of the differences. 

1) The guitar has Gibson 490 and 498 pickups with a nickel cover. The classic is supposed to have zebras.....

2) it has Kluson style Grover tuners 

3) the pickguard is a Gibson custom pickguard that has beautifully rounded edges and is stamped "1960" - much nicer than the stock les paul pickguard. 

4) the stopbar is a Gotoh "japan" 

These are a few of the things that make me wonder whats going on here. EVERYTHING looks original. I even worked with the Tech at the Long and McQuade location where I bought it in Ontario, Canada. The guitar has the PCB board and pickups have the appropriate plug on the end to plug into the board. It does not have coil tapping etc which is good for us as it keeps it more traditional. Im pretty sure the 2019 classics were supposed to have coil tapping. Switch is switchcraft and pots are labelled Gibson. 

I guess my main question here is did/does Gibson have a reputation of making one off versions or limited run versions of their guitars that dont match the specs they are reported to be? I am not concerned of the guitars authenticity but it appears that the guitar is 100% original and I think I may have scored a limited run, upgraded Gibson Les Paul.  Everything about the guitar is looking closer to a Les Paul Standard rather than a Classic.  I will add a few photos hopefully in a minute. 

Thank you for any help or knowledge you can offer. 

1) and 2) happen, "specifications subject to change without notification" means "we'll use the machines and/or pickups we have the day we make it".

3)  all Classics come with the pickguard off, engraved with 1960

4)  Not an upgrade at all.

It's a Classic, subject to the vagaries that all the guitar companies do within the line of any one particular model.

rct

Hi RCT,

Thanks so much for your info. Interesting about the 1960 pickguard. Nowhere have I seen this. The legacy mentions nothing of this either.  I'll have to research this more. Is it possible that Gibson would have used the Gotoh bridge? I'm wondering if it was replaced? None the less, the guitar is bloody awesome but it seems like my son got a bit "more" than a from what I can see. I guess mainly the pickups....

Yes to RCT’s responses..

You don’t say it was purchased new so it’s possible the previous Owner did some Mods… If so, they sound like good ones.. I have those Pickups in one of my LP’s & I really like them.. As much as 57 Classics & MHS HB’s…… Maybe even a bit more..

Hi Larsongs, 

Yes it was purchased used. I was thinking same thing but there is ZERO evidence of anything ever being changed. I worked with the Luthier/tech at the Long and McQuade  and he said it's completely legit. Took pickups out, pull off one of the tuners to confirm there wasn't any markings from a different tuner or different hole etc... also showed me the very clean soldering, writing under bridge pickup in body etc. 

This kinda of what peaked my interest about the guitar as it seemed to have some better upgrades on it than a classic comes outfitted with. The gotoh bridge I guess not so much but I never even knew until I had it home and replaced the strings two days later. Not worried about it though. That's an easily replaced part. 

Is it possible that Gibson put a gotoh Bridge and grovers style klusons on this from factory?

Also, Long and McQuade is owned by the national distributor of gibson products here in Canada. That company is called Yorkville. I'm only saying this to verify why I have complete faith in the guitar being 100% legit. If I hadn't taken  to the workbench to "undress" it a bit I'd be a weary but every single thing checks out other than the specs being off a bit from the legacy website. 

What do you find different about the 490 and 498 vs other gibson pickups? 

Thanks for taking the time to respond Larsongs

What do you find different about the 490 and 498 vs other gibson pickups? 

So opinions on pickups vary wildly.   I may love a pickup setup other guys don't like at all.

I have a few Gibsons with the 490/498 combo.

For me,  in one word: Versatile.  They do clean good, they do crunch good, they do high gain good.  Well defined without being too harsh (top end) or muddy (low end)

For my money I'll take em any day over burstbuckers.   Second only (to my ears anyway) to the 57 Classic and 57 Classic + combo.

Since it was purchased used anything might have been changed (like the stopbar, pickups, and pickup covers) but that doesn't mean the guitar isn't a genuine Gibson, I'm sure it is from what you told us.  I bought a LP Classic in 2019 and it did have zebra pickups that were 61R and 61T burstbuckers.  They sounded quite different from a 2017 Standard that I had also with Burstbucker (Pros).  I contacted Gibson and they advised that the 61R and 61T had different number of windings (fewer) from the standard pickup (although both R and T the same number) and that is what made it sound a little more "old school".  I also had a Classic built in 2000, that I purchased new in 2001.   That one had zebra pickups also that were 496R and 500T.  The 2000 model had the "1960" engraved on the pickguard and no weight relief.  The newer one from 2019 did not have the engraved pickguard and was weight relieved.  Both had the pickguard installed at the factory.  The 2019 had coil tapping, the 2000 did not.  Here is the 2019:

NhqxsLf.jpgOnly photo I have of the 2000 model is below

t9T305T.jpgqgraQOV.jpg

Gibson changes Guitar models like the weather…. And often… You can try looking up that model Gibsonlegacy.com & see if you can find it..

Although, most likely it’s been modded. With some good mods.

The 490R & 498T’s aren’t harsh. Really good Cleans! Then dialing up the Gain, employing different Finger & Picking technique the Distortion & up into Feedback Sound is Glorious. IMO, they cover all the bases & always sound good… The better the Amp, the better the Sound.

Thanks everyone. Ive just also discovered that it has a stereo switchcraft output jack. is there any reason I couldnt swap it back to a mono switchcrfat jack? no idea why it has a stereo jack. Yes it appears to be original and has the plug in end for the pcb board.

Im actually having a problem with the jack with an American stage cable from Planet Waves. Popping and crackling. I  put a different cable in and problem goes away. I put the American Stage into another guitar and there is zero issue. It just seems like the stereo jack and American Stage cable don't get along well together......

Any thoughts on any of this? your help is truly appreciated!

12 hours ago, KevAd said:

Thanks everyone. Ive just also discovered that it has a stereo switchcraft output jack. is there any reason I couldnt swap it back to a mono switchcrfat jack? no idea why it has a stereo jack. Yes it appears to be original and has the plug in end for the pcb board.

Im actually having a problem with the jack with an American stage cable from Planet Waves. Popping and crackling. I  put a different cable in and problem goes away. I put the American Stage into another guitar and there is zero issue. It just seems like the stereo jack and American Stage cable don't get along well together......

Any thoughts on any of this? your help is truly appreciated!

Yes thats weird. 

I discovered that my Yamaha Silent doesnt work with the Relay G10 plugged in it. Works fine with a regular cable. Gremlins?

If it’s got a Stereo Output it’s definitely been modded…

It may be wired for the Pickups to be split Stereo, with a Proper Y Cord, to play thru 2 Amps.. The Neck Pickup going to one of the Amps & the Bridge going to the other Amp… Like Rickenbackers’ Ric O Sound or early Gibson ES345 Stereo Guitars….

Most likely you can can use a standard mono cord & one Amp without a problem, plus, have the option of playing Stereo thru 2 Amps.. If that’s the case why bother..

It sounds like the guy who had this Guitar was a Pro & knew what he was doing….