Gibson Brands Forums

Good places to buy vintage Gibson acoustics

JohnnyT123

Hi all,

I'm new here, first post. I'm looking for a 1964-1967 southern jumbo. Aside from the reverb/craigslist usuals, where have you all had luck finding a great vintage Gibson that was not a nerve-racking, wallet-draining experience? Also, if you have one of the guitars in question, post pics and share stories!

Thanks!

My father bought a new one in 1963. He owned it until around 1969 when he got an early 50s J-200. I bought mine from Elderly in late 1984, over the phone, sight unseen. i had to borrow the money from the bank. It had Grovers on it, then later I put newer Schaller Kluson style tuners on it, maybe a couple sets, now I have a set of early 60s Klusons on it, which aren't necessarily correct; most old SJ's had small buttons but I was told that some came with keystones, so here we are. I made the truss rod cover from brass and had my initials engraved in it. After almsot 40 years, i may put a stock one on it, because the brass looks a bit much to me now. It didn't come with a case, and over the years I used any case I had that would fit. It currently rests in a newer Gibson (branded) case, likely Canadian. Someone carved "21737 Chris Clark" in the back of the neck long before I got it. I filled it with super glue and buffed it smooth. Never know it was there now. It had a Barcus Berry transducer attached to the bridge plate. Long gone now. Maybe it was a Texas Transducer. No matter. I don't plug in. The adjustable bridge was changed long before I got it. Someone put a replacement bridge with saddle on it. The intonation was horrible; very flat. I shifted the slot forward and made a new bone saddle for it. I believe the bridge was lifting by that time so I removed and reglued it. I think that was around 1990. I string it with mediums. I think it has Elixirs on it at the moment, and like any of my Elixir'd guitars, they will be on there 4 or 5 years.

Q6Ir6yu.jpg

xrwGqoV.jpg

8P5RtPT.jpg

m5BxmsH.jpg

rgQTPU3.jpg

GXR0dG1.jpg

53 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

My father bought a new one in 1963. He owned it until around 1969 when he got an early 50s J-200. I bought mine from Elderly in late 1984, over the phone, sight unseen. i had to borrow the money from the bank. It had Grovers on it, then later I put newer Schaller Kluson style tuners on it, maybe a couple sets, now I have a set of early 60s Klusons on it, which aren't necessarily correct; most old SJ's had small buttons but I was told that some came with keystones, so here we are. I made the truss rod cover from brass and had my initials engraved in it. After almsot 40 years, i may put a stock one on it, because the brass looks a bit much to me now. It didn't come with a case, and over the years I used any case I had that would fit. It currently rests in a newer Gibson (branded) case, likely Canadian. Someone carved "21737 Chris Clark" in the back of the neck long before I got it. I filled it with super glue and buffed it smooth. Never know it was there now. It had a Barcus Berry transducer attached to the bridge plate. Long gone now. Maybe it was a Texas Transducer. No matter. I don't plug in. The adjustable bridge was changed long before I got it. Someone put a replacement bridge with saddle on it. The intonation was horrible; very flat. I shifted the slot forward and made a new bone saddle for it. I believe the bridge was lifting by that time so I removed and reglued it. I think that was around 1990. I string it with mediums. I think it has Elixirs on it at the moment, and like any of my Elixir'd guitars, they will be on there 4 or 5 years.

Q6Ir6yu.jpg

xrwGqoV.jpg

8P5RtPT.jpg

m5BxmsH.jpg

rgQTPU3.jpg

GXR0dG1.jpg

Holy moly, what a beautiful guitar!! What year is she? Thanks so much for sharing photos, enjoy it in good health! Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Edited by JohnnyT123