Gibson Brands Forums

I'm trying to date my Epiphone Sheraton but not finding any answers

eggyman

Hi all

First off, thanks for reading.

Like the title says I'm trying to date my my guitar and I've used a number of guitar dating websites but haven't got any answers. One website said it was made in the late 90's but that can't be because...

I bought it second hand in 1992. There are no serial numbers inside the body and no "made in the USA" or " made in Japan " markings or engravings. Is has a golden sticker on the rear body close to the neck "sheraton-v" and a serial number on the back of the head "70706934". On the head is the inlay "epiphone by Gibson "

I suspect it's made in Japan after 1986

Some relevant photos: https://imgur.com/a/MmmsrRe

I'd be interested in a general valuation,  because I have to sell it due to relocation .

It's well used, stood around in band rooms, was touring for a few years and has a few cosmetic bangs and is slightly delaminating between the neck and fretboard close to the headstock.

I would prefer a lowball estimate so I can find a new home for it quickly.

Thanks in advance

It's a 1987 Sheraton II. The "V" in the sticker is likely an indicator of the finish color - Vintage Sunburst.

The "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons were only made between 1986 and 1988, by Samick in Korea. Aside from the first digit, the serial numbers don't have any meaning.

They are the most sought-after imported Sheratons of the modern era. The prices seem to have dropped recently, but you could start it at $1200 if you aren't in a rush to sell. Less if there is any more significant wear or damage that I didn't really look for. At $800, it would probably be gone within a day.

Edited by pohatu771

11 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

It's a 1987 Sheraton II. The "V" in the sticker is likely an indicator of the finish color - Vintage Sunburst.

The "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons were only made between 1986 and 1988, by Samick in Korea. Aside from the first digit, the serial numbers don't have any meaning.

They are the most sought-after imported Sheratons of the modern era. The prices seem to have dropped recently, but you could start it at $1200 if you aren't in a rush to sell. Less if there is any more significant wear or damage that I didn't really look for. At $800, it would probably be gone within a day.

Thanks so much!

This is a real insight for me. I'm selling on the European market, specifically Germany and I don't want to post it anywhere so I'll be selling it locally.

I think I'll try my luck at 1000€

Thanks so much for your time and effort

3 hours ago, eggyman said:

Thanks so much!

This is a real insight for me. I'm selling on the European market, specifically Germany and I don't want to post it anywhere so I'll be selling it locally.

I can't give a specific number for Europe/Germany, but things tend to be higher by a strict currency conversion, so that sounds about right.

Edited by pohatu771

A little bit closer to home for you, they go for between £750- 900 in England.

I know yhis doesn't help you specifically with your price but try searching completed listings on eBay. 

4 hours ago, eggyman said:

Thanks so much!

16 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

Personally I would say a Matsumoku are the most sought after.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt4356 said:

Personally I would say a Matsumoku are the most sought after.

"Modern era," as I use it, begins in 1986. That's when Juszkiewicz took over Gibson and Epiphone began production in Korea, and ultimately introducing Gibson copies, becoming the Epiphone brand we know today.

Matsumoku didn't make any Epiphone guitars in that time, and the whole company shut down in 1987.  There are Terada-made Sheratons that have the same basic specs as the Sheraton II or later Matsumoku version starting in 1987, but they were made for the Japanese market so not really "imports." And, while not explicit, I was only considering variations of the Sheraton II, not vintage-style Sheratons like the Elitist.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

"Modern era," as I use it, begins in 1986. That's when Juszkiewicz took over Gibson and Epiphone began production in Korea, and ultimately introducing Gibson copies, becoming the Epiphone brand we know today.

Matsumoku didn't make any Epiphone guitars in that time, and the whole company shut down in 1987.  There are Terada-made Sheratons that have the same basic specs as the Sheraton II or later Matsumoku version starting in 1987, but they were made for the Japanese market so not really "imports." And, while not explicit, I was only considering variations of the Sheraton II, not vintage-style Sheratons like the Elitist.

Aw man, that means I'm not '"Modern era" being born in 85!🤣🤣