Gibson Brands Forums

Last time you've splurged or overspent on a product

saturn

Splurge or overspend? Depends on how you look at it.

On NYE I went into a store because they had Makers Mark for $19.99. I thought "what a bargain. Think I'll grab a bottle and save some money".   In there I notice two bottles of Booker's on the shelf. I haven't seen Booker's on any shelf in any store for at least 3 years. I asked the guy for price and mentioned I never see it. He said they got a rare case of it in and these are the last two left and they're $99.00 After debating about it for  few minutes I said WTF and grabbed it. My wife was waiting in the car and wondered what took me so long. When I told her, she briefly flipped out and then said I work hard and deserve it, and anyway my next gig will pay for it. [cool]

So now I have a rare bottle that I'm reluctant to open until a special occasion. 

xTBAEh0.jpg

Anyone else do a little indulgent overspending lately?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, my partner Cherry & I booked up some holiday breaks for this year. On one of them, I persuaded her to go for a historic room/apartment which almost doubled the price. Its me thats paying the extra, which will be about 3/4s of the total. 

She thinks its over the top and said I'd be better off spending it on a new wardrobe [omg]+:-@.

Will it be worth it? I'm not sure, but I'm looking forward to it. Time will tell.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, saturn said:

Splurge or overspend? Depends on how you look at it.

On NYE I went into a store because they had Makers Mark for $19.99. I thought "what a bargain. Think I'll grab a bottle and save some money".   In there I notice two bottles of Booker's on the shelf. I haven't seen Booker's on any shelf in any store for at least 3 years. I asked the guy for price and mentioned I never see it. He said they got a rare case of it in and these are the last two left and they're $99.00 After debating about it for  few minutes I said WTF and grabbed it. My wife was waiting in the car and wondered what took me so long. When I told her, she briefly flipped out and then said I work hard and deserve it, and anyway my next gig will pay for it. [cool]

So now I have a rare bottle that I'm reluctant to open until a special occasion. 

xTBAEh0.jpg

Anyone else do a little indulgent overspending lately?

I just looked around the interwebs, and it seems like you did really well at $99 a bottle. 
Good job by you!!

PS I was in the right field bleachers when Cal Ripken Jr played his last game at Kaufman Stadium. 
Good times. 😁

• Like 2

Recently our son was admonishing me because I am using hockey goalie gloves that are about 15 years old, which means they are quite ratty (being handy I repair them as necessary), and much heavier than the new ones made from space-age materials. A cursory search indicated that a new top of the line catching glove I liked was $600.00 CDN which I was unwilling to spend. Additionally, being left handed, a full right glove would be a special order with a few months waiting time.

By coincidence, a seller on ebay was offering a top-of-the-line glove ( the make and model I liked) for sale that had been used a few times by an NHL goalie, for $200.00 US plus a very reasonable shipping charge.

My wife and kids agreed that it was a good purchase and that I should grab it if I wanted it.

I decided to splurge, and bought it early in December and it arrived about ten days later.

Excellent glove (practically brand new) at a great price.

RBSinTo

• Like 2

Saturn,    My sons love Bourbon.  Must have inherited it from their Mother !  Makers Mark for one.  Gourmet like yours for the other.  Is that 'Welcome' sign made from an old, old piece of slate from an old Slate Roof ?   We have a few we saved that look just like it, from a house built 110 years ago. 

RBS - congrats.  I know how you feel.   I gave all my ball gloves away to sons and grandsons over the years - but for Christmas, my wife got me a really nice new Nokona fielders glove,  For a game of catch in the back yard. when family visits.  Probably 10x what  I spent on my gloves 'back in the day'.  

4 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Saturn,    My sons love Bourbon.  Must have inherited it from their Mother !  Makers Mark for one.  Gourmet like yours for the other.  Is that 'Welcome' sign made from an old, old piece of slate from an old Slate Roof ?   We have a few we saved that look just like it, from a house built 110 years ago. 

RBS - congrats.  I know how you feel.   I gave all my ball gloves away to sons and grandsons over the years - but for Christmas, my wife got me a really nice new Nokona fielders glove,  For a game of catch in the back yard. when family visits.  Probably 10x what  I spent on my gloves 'back in the day'.  

That Slate is another story all it's own and kinda funny. Yes it's an old roofing slate. There's a place in Baltimore right across from Ravens Stadium called Second Chance. It's like a big consignment shop staffed by paroled prisoners looking for a second chance. Much of the stuff there is left over construction material, or salvaged from demolition/renovation etc. My wife and I were in there a few years ago and they had those old roofing slates for about $1 apiece and she had the idea to decorate them so we bought a stack. My neighbor is an artist and sign painter so we gave some to him to experiment and that is the very first one he did. Well since then his daughter has jumped on it and gets him to make personalized slates and she sells them on Etsy and various pop-up  shops around Annapolis. Now he cusses me out for starting this whole thing. Apparently it's a big PIA the prepping and cleaning of the slate is more work than the painting and the money he makes is negligible. Sorry Mic 😅 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Yep, stereo gear.

Two amps on order, three subwoofers coming up next.

It's endless.

Sure.  But it was many moons ago...

The near $1,000.00 I spent for a  Miller and Kreisal sat/sub system back in '98.  Still got 'em, and working just fine.

Looking into replacing the B&O Beomaster 4400 and M-75 speakers my ex paid her coke debt with.  They were c. 1980.  And I got a line on someone who can find those vintage components for me.  [wink]

Other than that and as far as overspending goes....  the $6.00 I spent on my last pack of cigarettes in '18(when I finally quit.).

Whitefang

As a lover of fine Bourbon I can only say "Well DONE!"

so this fall.. I was in the mood for a new leaf blower, had a electric craftsman that "kind" of did the job.  coulda gone to Lowes or Home Depot and dropped $200/$250 on something that would have been entirely adequate.

but NOPE,,  walked into the local power equipment dealer, and 

TaDaaaa!

271951534_10217618912424143_184032415134

cheap?  hell no..

works good?  hell ya!

my wife deb was like "Wait, how much???"

Edited by kidblast

Ok well, MF had a MEMBERS ONLY SALE!!!! and instead of the typical YOU SAVE $25 ON THAT 2000 DOLLAR GUITAR!!!! they actually gave me 30% off.  So I splurged on a 70th Anniversary Esquire.  Didn't overspend.  Be here soon, if all goes well it will be a joyous addition to the 4 giggers I'm down to.

rct

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

fyp.,

Nokona makes excellent gloves, although we don't see many of them up here. Mostly Rawlings, & Wilson, and then everybody else.

I've got a Rawlings Heart of the Hide 1000H infielder's glove that they custom made for me (full right-worn on the right hand) about 25 years ago when I was helping coach Travel Ball teams. In those days infielders gloves weren't available for lefties, so after I called the Rawlings head office and complained to the National Sales Manager, he had one made up and shipped it to me at no charge. 

RBSinTo

2 hours ago, rct said:

Ok well, MF had a MEMBERS ONLY SALE!!!! and instead of the typical YOU SAVE $25 ON THAT 2000 DOLLAR GUITAR!!!! they actually gave me 30% off.  So I splurged on a 70th Anniversary Esquire.  Didn't overspend.  Be here soon, if all goes well it will be a joyous addition to the 4 giggers I'm down to.

rct

sneaky bastid..

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

I bought a generator, just in case I have a few days without power again..

generac-inverter-generators-7128-64_1000

A few years ago, we had 5 power outages.... a couple lasted for days..... so we bought a 22kW Generator.... haven't used it even once since!   (But it's good to know it's there!)

32 minutes ago, kidblast said:

wait !  no wheels??????  ruh oh!

Mine doesn't need to move, primarily just needs to provide power to my fridge and the house water pump and a few other critical things. I moved in May and had several minor power outages and couple that last more than a day. Rural life in Hawaii is fun but inconsistent power, my neighbors seem to have them and a few of them are totally solar. In addition  we all use propane any way we can.

30 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Mine doesn't need to move, primarily just needs to provide power to my fridge and the house water pump and a few other critical things. I moved in May and had several minor power outages and couple that last more than a day. Rural life in Hawaii is fun but inconsistent power, my neighbors seem to have them and a few of them are totally solar. In addition  we all use propane any way we can.

If you really want to get carried away, you could do the home battery solution too which makes more efficient use of your generator.  The idea would be to get a big enough battery to power your home and use the generator to essentially just charge the battery back up from time to time.  I wish I had a home battery...  When I have power outs, I have a cart generator that can power the necessities, but every day, I have to fill it up with gas daily.  I believe it has 8gal tank that lasts me about 12hr give or take.  Can deliver around 8kW too which would be able to charge a home battery.  AND... would be much quieter after the battery is good to go on a full charge.  But hey, what do I know, haha!  I don't know how well solar would work in say a MI winter where sunlight is not plentiful, but having the battery backup would be great.  Probably cost me $10k and upwards for about 20kWh or more depending - about a day's power usage on average.  I digress...  Now a home battery would be a nice splurge...  Tesla makes something like the Power Wall (?) and Generac also is pushing the home battery thing too. 

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

If you really want to get carried away, you could do the home battery solution too which makes more efficient use of your generator.  The idea would be to get a big enough battery to power your home and use the generator to essentially just charge the battery back up from time to time.  I wish I had a home battery...  When I have power outs, I have a cart generator that can power the necessities, but every day, I have to fill it up with gas daily.  I believe it has 8gal tank that lasts me about 12hr give or take.  Can deliver around 8kW too which would be able to charge a home battery.  AND... would be much quieter after the battery is good to go on a full charge.  But hey, what do I know, haha!  I don't know how well solar would work in say a MI winter where sunlight is not plentiful, but having the battery backup would be great.  Probably cost me $10k and upwards for about 20kWh or more depending - about a day's power usage on average.  I digress...  Now a home battery would be a nice splurge...  Tesla makes something like the Power Wall (?) and Generac also is pushing the home battery thing too. 

When I got my generator, I priced out a Tesla Power Wall.... big enough to power my house was $30K and had to be replaced in 10 years.... I think not!

It would have to be the Subaru Ascent my wife insisted I buy  a little over a year ago. One year, 2 months old and I have 4,200 miles on it now. Mostly sits in the garage.  I told her I didn't need a new car and that the Saturn View was still a great SUV.  She kept pressuring me to sell it. 

8 hours ago, kidblast said:

As a lover of fine Bourbon I can only say "Well DONE!"

so this fall.. I was in the mood for a new leaf blower, had a electric craftsman that "kind" of did the job.  coulda gone to Lowes or Home Depot and dropped $200/$250 on something that would have been entirely adequate.

but NOPE,,  walked into the local power equipment dealer, and 

TaDaaaa!

271951534_10217618912424143_184032415134

cheap?  hell no..

works good?  hell ya!

my wife deb was like "Wait, how much???"

Looks like it would take the chrome off a trailer hitch!