Gibson Brands Forums

Last time you've splurged or overspent on a product

saturn

Motoring: In this day and age where we are being urged to go electric (green), I have ordered a new petrol engined car. That could be seen as a backward step and a poor choice. 

The uk government is commited to have no new petrol/diesel vechicles available to buy in 10 years time. I think they might tax those who stick to petrol engines pretty hard by that time.

• Thanks 1

$875.00 for a new 28” chainsaw to cut up two extra large Maple trees in my yard. $2600 to have them cut down. Sent them off to a local mill to have the big pieces cut into slabs which will be another $1000! Now that I’m done, the saw is for sale!🤓

Now my dump trailer to haul it  has no brakes! 4 sets of brake assemblies at $115 each not including drums! Parts only!

The good news is I have a couple people already interested in buying a few of the slabs that I won’t be using to help offset, if not totally recoup my costs! One main trunk log will give me roughly 10 -2 1/2” x 4’ x 8’ solid live edge slabs.

Could have just had the branches trimmed away from the house for about $400! 

Big Bill,  I worked in Toledo for many years. Had to go to the office about once a week for parts and usually ate lunch in the parking lot sitting in my truck.  Almost every time I was approached by the neighborhood ladies offering their services! I asked them if they knew Bill from Jersey and one of them started laughing hysterically and walked away! Not sure what that was about and didn’t ask!😂 

Just kidding Bill! She just gave me a big smile and a wink when asked! Again I didn’t inquire any further!

Edited by gdecant1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gdecant1 said:

Big Bill,  I worked in Toledo for many years. Had to go to the office about once a week for parts and usually ate lunch in the parking lot sitting in my truck.  Almost every time I was approached by the neighborhood ladies offering their services! I asked them if they knew Bill from Jersey and one of them started laughing hysterically and walked away! Not sure what that was about and didn’t ask!😂 

Just kidding Bill! She just gave me a big smile and a wink when asked! Again I didn’t inquire any further!

Did they say anything about a dirty feather and a spider monkey!?! 😯

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

If you really want to get carried away, you could do the home battery solution too which makes more efficient use of your generator.  The idea would be to get a big enough battery to power your home and use the generator to essentially just charge the battery back up from time to time.  I wish I had a home battery...  When I have power outs, I have a cart generator that can power the necessities, but every day, I have to fill it up with gas daily.  I believe it has 8gal tank that lasts me about 12hr give or take.  Can deliver around 8kW too which would be able to charge a home battery.  AND... would be much quieter after the battery is good to go on a full charge.  But hey, what do I know, haha!  I don't know how well solar would work in say a MI winter where sunlight is not plentiful, but having the battery backup would be great.  Probably cost me $10k and upwards for about 20kWh or more depending - about a day's power usage on average.  I digress...  Now a home battery would be a nice splurge...  Tesla makes something like the Power Wall (?) and Generac also is pushing the home battery thing too. 

There are quite a few homes in my area that are. completely off the grid using panels, batteries and they normally have to run their generators at night, they don't notice when the power grid fails. I do enjoy being on the power grid even in a rural area where it fails from time to time, usually from heavy rain making a tree fall on the power lines. Most in this area use very efficient appliances as well like gas refrigerators and stoves that use propane. But I like my 1000 watt microwave and driving my tube amps, my main concern in a power outage is losing my food in the refrigerator, so I got a generator.  🙂

Edited by mihcmac

Last thing I splurged on was the daughter's  wedding last September: about $65K, this included the venue, dress, flowers, photographer, band, and various other expenses. The last thing I overspent on was an Epiphone Slash LP, got home from the wedding in early October and the price went up on the guitar, but WTF you only live once. 

Yeah @DanvillRob and @mihcmac hate to hijack the thread responding about home batteries.  Probably should be in its own thread.  Either way, point taken from both about batteries and such.  They are expensive and would be something I wouldn't mind splurging for one day.  Going the additional solar route would be nice, but again in MI, we have a lot of crappy days of no sun where I'd have to over-panel or something to compensate in the cooler months - which is a lot of space to take up in my situation.  I'd be happy with a mostly quiet way to deliver whole-home power that I don't have to again, constantly run to the gas station every day that we have no-power.  Had a tornado that touched down near my home - few miles away - and the destruction just around touchdown was a lot to deal with - which also took out power infrastructure.  The gas stations were jammed, your car smells like gas, not to mention the cost for 8gal of gas each day...  A battery installation would allow for me to only have to run a generator for a shorter period of time to get the battery charged - since a much higher percentage of the generator energy output is now being used for storage into the battery.  Turn off the generator after some time, trickle power out of the battery now until it's time to fire up ol' faithful (cart gen) for a re-charge.  So if you have the means, spend the money you tightwads, haha!  It's a luxurious way to endure the power outages while all the peasants scrounge to the gas stations regularly to fill up their smelly gas tanks, haha!  JK of course.  But it is a luxury to have whole-home energy generation.  Something to splurge on for sure if you have a few thousands laying around.  You won't be sorry.... 

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Yeah @DanvillRob and @mihcmac hate to hijack the thread responding about home batteries.  Probably should be in its own thread.  Either way, point taken from both about batteries and such.  They are expensive and would be something I wouldn't mind splurging for one day.  Going the additional solar route would be nice, but again in MI, we have a lot of crappy days of no sun where I'd have to over-panel or something to compensate in the cooler months - which is a lot of space to take up in my situation.  I'd be happy with a mostly quiet way to deliver whole-home power that I don't have to again, constantly run to the gas station every day that we have no-power.  Had a tornado that touched down near my home - few miles away - and the destruction just around touchdown was a lot to deal with - which also took out power infrastructure.  The gas stations were jammed, your car smells like gas, not to mention the cost for 8gal of gas each day...  A battery installation would allow for me to only have to run a generator for a shorter period of time to get the battery charged - since a much higher percentage of the generator energy output is now being used for storage into the battery.  Turn off the generator after some time, trickle power out of the battery now until it's time to fire up ol' faithful (cart gen) for a re-charge.  So if you have the means, spend the money you tightwads, haha!  It's a luxurious way to endure the power outages while all the peasants scrounge to the gas stations regularly to fill up their smelly gas tanks, haha!  JK of course.  But it is a luxury to have whole-home energy generation.  Something to splurge on for sure if you have a few thousands laying around.  You won't be sorry.... 

Since I am retired and on a fixed income I don't have thousands laying around, investing in batteries is not really part of my plan. Although there are people here that started their power systems gradually, those that have developed stable systems rely on solar, batteries and generators. Also most power needs are relatively low here with no real need for central heating and cooling. Anyway after acquiring my new generator I haven't had to use it, only having a few short outages causing me to reset my clocks and smoke detectors. I'm  going to fire up my generator just to give it some run time and pass some old fuel.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Chris, I bought a 12 kW solar system a few years ago.... reduced my power bill from $1K/month in the summer to less than $100 (because I still have to buy natural gas).   Since we have about 300 clear-sky days a year here in Northern California, it was a good option.  The Generac system I bought will run the entire house with no problem, (I have 4 air conditioners that  are available, if needed)....but the main one is an energy-hog for sure!   The generator runs on natural gas that's piped into my home, so I never have to go to a gas station and smell up my car!    Like mihcmac, I'm retired and living on a pension....so not a lot of money to pay huge projects anymore, (the kitchen is the last one).    Funny.... just this morning, my power went out.... was out for maybe 45 minutes to an hour... Generator come on and everything worked just fine with the exception of the internet....and I'm sure that was due to something not inside the house. 

• Like 2

A couple years ago, my wife told me that if I took out $5,000.00 from my 401K, that she would have wild passionate sex with me.  So after I gave her the cash, She squelched on the deal!  Haha..     

Just kidding! Although I did do that 3 times so far so she did have 15 grand and I got nothing in return.  

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2022 at 8:56 AM, Big Bill said:

Did they say anything about a dirty feather and a spider monkey!?! 😯

LOL! 😂

She said she still has the feather but could never get that smell out. Sadly the monkey passed two days later. She was wondering if you ever went to see the doctor? 

Oh, one more thing, she had triplets! She named them Bill, Billy and Billy Bob! 😱😂

• Haha 2

Need to be careful cashing in your 401k's, I did when I was 66 and splurged on my FRS, but I had a pretty healthy tax penalty on it that had a negative effect on my SS. Having some cash did help me qualify for my VA home loan.

hHSyOvz.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1