Gibson Brands Forums

Use your volume control!

esch

Ummm' date=' how about we use the middle position, and toggle the two volumes AND the two tones

(now were getting crazy)[/quote']

That's why I had my SG re-wired so it had just a master volume and tone. Now it's a lot easier and when I switch pickups I don't have to worry about being over or under distorted.

I love using my knobs. You can get so much more out of your guitar if you milk the knobs.

for me the vol pedal is used for effect, I use the vol knob (and tone) a lot and i have a clean boost on my board (set low, maybe 3-5 db).

using vol and tone knobs is the rule for LPz though....a ton of variation IMO

i toggle between rhythm and treble and middle, and for really climactic lead i turn the volume 2-3 levels from where i have it at. oh, baby sweet sweet tone, with natural overdrive and amp breakup.

anyone else have burstbuckers on their lespaul. they can go from eric clapton vintage to angus young balls out tone.

For the rock stuff I've always played with the volume knobs on Les Pauls to switch between rythm (one pickup on 3-4) and lead (one pickup on 10). It really works, as Les Pauls have two seperate volume knobs for the bridge and neck pickup. The hard thing about playing with the volume knobs is that you have to change your set-up dramatically and the way you play. You'll get a (huge) drop in output and tone when you lower the volume knob from the bridge or neck pickup. The tone gets thinner and less compressed with considerably less output, but at the same time it will give you a more agressive/vintage kind of rythm tone (think AC/DC) if you're playing with a steady amount of gain. This is where quality electronics (pots, caps, pickups) come into play; to maintain dynamics, clarity and tone in any situation.

I've played like this for years.

These days I prefer to keep it simple; both volume knobs on 10 (for maximum output and tone), combined with a (clean) boost pedal for leads. Now I can finally switch between both pickups for rythm and lead.

I never liked volume pedals.

These days I prefer to keep it simple; both volume knobs on 10 (for maximum output and tone)' date=' combined with a (clean) boost pedal for leads. Now I can finally switch between both pickups for rythm and lead.[/quote']

+1

*stomp*

clean

*stomp*

dirty

I use the volume control on my neck pickup more - setting it on about 8 usually so that it doesn't overwhelm the bridge pickup when I'm in the middle position. I generally leave the volume control dimed on the bridge pickup unless I am plugged straight in to an old tube amp - at which point the volume pot becomes the way to go from a rhythm sound (5 or 6 on the knob) to a lead sound (dimed). Generally I like the sound of my pickups wide open better (on my Fenders too). I set the amp for a nice tone somewhere between clean and dirty and use pedals for increasing gain.

Archived