Gibson Brands Forums

Ear Protection for Children

Howlin4Hubert

My wife and I are looking forward to taking our little one (he is 4 months now) to some live music events this summer and want to make sure we protect his hearing properly. Anyone have any recommendations or experience with ear protection for children?

My wife found these Peltor-AOSafety Junior Ear Muffs but we weren't sure if that was a good choice or not.

Thoughts?

Would your kid wear those' date=' as in, keep them on his or her head?[/quote']

Good question, I think we will have to try some, or something like them, before we know.

Personally I would never take a 4 year old to an event that was geared specifically to that age group.

Not sure I understand what you mean, which age group, his or the adults?

Not sure I understand what you mean' date=' which age group, his or the adults?[/quote']

His of course [-(

Plus I think any 4 year old would get seriously boooooooooooooooooooooored out of their little skulls at any adult-ish event. You'll spend all your time entertaining your son and not watching the show.

His of course [-(

=D> Agreed. We wouldn't either.

Plus I think any 4 year old would get seriously boooooooooooooooooooooored out of their little skulls at any adult-ish event. You'll spend all your time entertaining your son and not watching the show.

Yeah I don't know we will have to see. I think some of it depends on the child. Last year we were at a very large two day music festival (great music BTW with artists like Steve Winwood, Tom Petty, Dave Matthews) and there were lots of families there with little ones. A lot of the little ones seemed to really enjoy themselves. Our little guy already loves music so we are hoping he loves it live. We will probably start with a free event so if he doesn't like it we can leave and it won't be a big deal.

Get a Radio Shack (or other) Sound Level Meter, set it at "A" Weighted and "Slow" response and take a reading.

Anything over 85db at those settings will cause permanent damage in your ears and the ears of your little one. Choose the attenuation of the ear plugs/muffs accordingly. So if the sound is at 100db, choose 15db ear protection as 100-15=85

I commend you for being careful about your child's hearing. You have a right to subject yourself to ear damaging sounds, but you owe it to your child to avoid ear damage in the little one's ears. Especially since the damage is not reversible.

Insights and incites by Notes

You should probably consider the fact that even a minute of those type sound levels would be seriously damaging to a child. You may provide the best hearing protection ever, but I am pretty sure there is no child that age that is going to keep hearing protection in place for the duration. Considering that even removing it for a moment could potentially cause permanent damage, are you really willing to risk your child's hearing for no good reason at all.

Archived