Gibson Brands Forums

What do you play when trying out new guitars?

callen3615

Do you play scales of riff or play whole songs??

As for me I get nervous and turn my amp way down.

I always play the wanted dead or alive solo, it sounds awesome and I can play it well. :- I play fade to black, sanitarium, orion, (i like metallica), have a drink on me, tush, summer song, and the hotel california solo. Most people I hear a playing scales really fast, or sweep picking deth metal stuff. I always feel out gunned and leave before im done testing stuff out. One day Ill be good, or wont care and have fun trying out guitars.

How bout you?

We play "Wanted Dead or Alive" in my Band, I'm having a hard time Nailing the Metal Feel in the solo, It comes out so Blues when I do it.

As for new guitar tryouts, I usually play a little SRV. "Rude Mood", or "Texas Flood" intro. One day I played Wham, by Lonnie Mack, and one of the Floor Guys came running from the front desk sayin', "Dude, I've been waiting for someone to play that, Show it to me." So I did, and we talked guitar a bit and he was stoked. The next time I go there, he gives me a big smile and says, "Bro, check this out..." and he pulls down a Beautiful Les Paul Custom with a $3000+ price tag and tells me they just got it in. Ever since, if he's in there, I get to play the Top Shelf stuff for as long as I want.

In the Acoustic Room I usually Tune a Martin or Gibson Jumbo to a G and play Braun-Yr-Aur Stomp.

We play "Wanted Dead or Alive" in my Band' date=' I'm having a hard time Nailing the Metal Feel in the solo, It comes out so Blues when I do it.

[/quote']

Awww, its easy. Just slide in and out alot, and use alot of vibrato on the harmonics. its really fun.

I learned it watching this, I sound pretty close. Honestly my harmonics sound better. :-

I'll start unplugged first then plugged into a good simple tube amp. Start with some riffs, usually simple stuff. Then see where I feel like going with that particular guitar. If I'm seriously interested I play every fretted note and bar chords all the way up the neck to make sure it sounds good all the way through.

Awww' date=' its easy. Just slide in and out alot, and use alot of vibrato on the harmonics. its really fun.

I learned it watching this, I sound pretty close. Honestly my harmonics sound better. :) [/quote']

Cool thanks. I'm gonna work on that now O:)

I always start off with the solo from "Till' There Was You" by The Beatles off of Please Please Me.

Then I play my bands songs because that's what I'll be playing mostly on it.

If I really like the guitar I play some more Beatles or some Bowie.

Why' date=' SRV, Stairway to Heaven (gotta play Stairway, brother!), & Wasted Years by Iron Maiden... of course. What else is there?[/quote']

Oooh. Wasted years. :)

Forgot that one. I know alot of stuff, i just forget it when I sit down in a shop. I wore out 3 fender picks playing wasted years so then i switched to the jazz 3.

I don't really play songs' date=' but tests. Every note on every fret chords from low E to barred E at the 12th fret.

Bending strings on every fret also.[/quote']

I notice that alot of ppl doing that at guitar stores and i say in my mind..."wtf are they doing".

I play easy songs all the way to a lil hard songs.

i check to see if its vibrating in the right places first before i even consider picking it up. if it is to my liking then i pick it up and start with some basic scales, then checking the harmonics and bends, and then finally i do some death metal sweep picking hells yah!!!

No songs -- and I dislike the people who come in, turn the amp up, play for hours, and pretend they are rock gods. Performing is for on stage, testing the guitar is for the music store. Do it as quickly as you can and then let the others test their guitars.

After that rant....

First I visually inspect the fit and finish, and if it passes that I'll tune it up.

After that, I play the guitar unplugged and do as much as I can that way, in consideration of the other people in the store. I check the balance, play some chords and scales, play chromatic scales up and down the neck on each string to check the action and setup (my local mom and pop store sets up every guitar before hanging it on the wall), and then plug it into an amp to check out the tone (clean except for a touch of reverb). I play as much as necessary, and no more than that, and I do so at a reasonable volume.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived