Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new in May 60s. Are my 61t and 61r Zebras underneath covers?

Bobby1970

1 hour ago, rct said:

It says Burstbuckers.  The picture is covered humbuckers.  What is the issue?

rct

The Classic has the same pickups but in zebra. I believe the poster is curious if the BBs are zebra underneath.

It's actually not a bad question. The unburst would look pretty cool with zebras.

Edited by Pinch

Could be.  "Zebra" pickups have become a mythology of their own, sometimes even 10 or 20 bucks apiece more, for whatever reason.  For a long time now covers have been put on much better than they were in the olden days when we took them off because the tacks cracked and they got all jiggy and loose.  Fire up the Weller and very carefully find out is all you can do.

rct

10 hours ago, Pinch said:

The Classic has the same pickups but in zebra. I believe the poster is curious if the BBs are zebra underneath.

It's actually not a bad question. The unburst would look pretty cool with zebras.

Yeah I think so to, I really don’t care why they used to take them off I’m just looking for some more treble response, or anything different that’s what they sound like now, 

47 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

Yeah I think so to, I really don’t care why they used to take them off I’m just looking for some more treble response, or anything different that’s what they sound like now, 

Bobby - let me help!

When I got mine, I didn't care for the pickups AT ALL. I Googled and found a guy who had some interesting things to say about them: he'd found that they were pretty different to other pickups in that they were pretty different to other pickups he'd tried when it came to height adjustment.

I adjusted mine the way I like them - very low neck pickup and fairly low bridge pickup - but even then I found that the smallest adjustment, like 1/8 of a turn, would produce pretty drastic results. It took quite a while to find the sweet spot, but now they're my favorite pickups, great mids, not boomy or trebly at all.

Don't do anything drastic - take your time adjusting the height and they'll sound entirely different from the way they came. Trust me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobby1970 said:

Yes I’m curious to know if there zebras underneath, not really interested in what they did in the old days. I just know there bassee and I think I can get more treble w covers off. Don’t know, zebras would look a hell of a lot better than all black,

Alrighty then.  Get the solderin iron warming up and have a look.  Unfortunately, nobody can tell you what is under there.  My experience has been that covers make no difference in sound, height makes much difference in sound.

rct

18 hours ago, Pinch said:

Bobby - let me help!

When I got mine, I didn't care for the pickups AT ALL. I Googled and found a guy who had some interesting things to say about them: he'd found that they were pretty different to other pickups in that they were pretty different to other pickups he'd tried when it came to height adjustment.

I adjusted mine the way I like them - very low neck pickup and fairly low bridge pickup - but even then I found that the smallest adjustment, like 1/8 of a turn, would produce pretty drastic results. It took quite a while to find the sweet spot, but now they're my favorite pickups, great mids, not boomy or trebly at all.

Don't do anything drastic - take your time adjusting the height and they'll sound entirely different from the way they came. Trust me.

Very good advice as a 1st step. 

Well worth a try!