Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Marketing only knows one word


Twang Gang
 Share

Recommended Posts

I got an email from Gibson this afternoon and the headline is "The Iconic Gibson That Started It All".  It was about the current line of Les Pauls.  But is that really the only word the marketing department knows?  I've seen it used so much by them that it has no meaning anymore.  They go on to say that it was first released in 1952 and that it was designed by Ted McCarty.  And while technically I suppose that is true it seems very easy to say that 13 years after Les Paul is dead.  They give him no credit at all and only mention that he wanted the guitar to be all maple, but that was too heavy so they went to mahogany with a maple cap.  The way I have read the history in the past is that if it wasn't for Les Paul they would not have made a solid body guitar.

The only cool thing about the email was that it showed a 70s Deluxe LP now in the lineup with the mini humbuckers.  Haven't see that in production for a while I don't think. 

OK, end of rant, but please stop using the "i" word.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

They go on to say that it was first released in 1952 and that it was designed by Ted McCarty.  And while technically I suppose that is true it seems very easy to say that 13 years after Les Paul is dead.  They give him no credit at all and only mention that he wanted the guitar to be all maple, but that was too heavy so they went to mahogany with a maple cap.  The way I have read the history in the past is that if it wasn't for Les Paul they would not have made a solid body guitar.

 

My understanding is that Gibson were worried that Leo had de-skilled the art of making guitars (now anyone with a bandsaw can have a go...). I feel sure they didn't want  to make a solidbody at all, but felt compelled to respond to Fender's rising success.

They had already rejected Les's 'log', but that was before he was famous. After he was famous it was a different story. He became hot stuff and they wanted his name on the new guitar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

I'm happy as long as I don't hear "triggered", "safe space" or"snowflake" again.

I'll add "woke", "Karen" and "new normal" to that list. 

For a while it was "genius" that was being overused.  Like, I long thought Brian Wilson was a very creative and skillful songwriter and musician.  But "genius"?  Nah.  But it seemed every time I turned around, someone was going on about the "genius" of Brian Wilson.  [wink]   Or whomever else.  On the same note, I am a long time Dylan freak.  But I considered him more INGENIOUS than "genius".

Whitefang

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I'll add "woke", "Karen" and "new normal" to that list. 

For a while it was "genius" that was being overused.  Like, I long thought Brian Wilson was a very creative and skillful songwriter and musician.  But "genius"?  Nah.  But it seemed every time I turned around, someone was going on about the "genius" of Brian Wilson.  [wink]   Or whomever else.  On the same note, I am a long time Dylan freak.  But I considered him more INGENIOUS than "genius".

Whitefang

How about Mask Up, and Essential Workers. And life only matters for one certain group of people.

How about fill in the blank ______________ - American. My reletives are Czech. I was born in the USA. I am not a Czech-American, I'm an American, my passport says so.

Masterpiece gets throw around a lot on certain albums.

I've seen Bob 3 times and after Desire it was along slow road down to mumbleville to what we get today. I think Blonde On Blonde is very overrated and like Exile On Main St., would have been a better single LP. People say that about The White Album too. Ringo wanted to release them as single LP's and call them The White Album and The Whiter Album. Blood On The Tracks and JWH are my go to Dylan LP's. Bringing It and 61 are killer too.

The Beatles had George Martin. Brian did that all on his own and in his own whacked out head.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I'll add "woke", "Karen" and "new normal" to that list. 

For a while it was "genius" that was being overused.  Like, I long thought Brian Wilson was a very creative and skillful songwriter and musician.  But "genius"?  Nah.  But it seemed every time I turned around, someone was going on about the "genius" of Brian Wilson.  [wink]   Or whomever else.  On the same note, I am a long time Dylan freak.  But I considered him more INGENIOUS than "genius".

Whitefang

Woke Karen and the New Normal is going to be my new band name.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unprecedented, infrastructure, and unacceptable are the 3 most over- and misused words on the UK airwaves these days.

I don't move stuff in my van, I provide Logistical Infrastructure Solutions. 

[angry]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Don’t forget “existential threat.”  That has been beaten to death for the past five or six years.

Actually, that's one I haven't heard.   Does though, seem like what I call "bloated language".  Like, putting things in a way that can be said more simply.  It started back in the early '70's with the WATERGATE hearings.  When those being questioned used phrases like, "Not at this point in time";    Huh?  Do you mean "NOW"?  and "Not at that point in time"  Do you mean "THEN?"  :rolleyes:

And weathermen on TV started warning us of "shower activity"  instead of "Rain".  Most of the words and phrases mentione in here so far are good suggestions to be added to Michigan's Lake Superior University's "Banished words and phrases" list.    Check it out....

https://www.lssu.edu/traditions/banishedwords/

Whitefang

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Actually, that's one I haven't heard.   Does though, seem like what I call "bloated language".  Like, putting things in a way that can be said more simply.  It started back in the early '70's with the WATERGATE hearings.  When those being questioned used phrases like, "Not at this point in time";    Huh?  Do you mean "NOW"?  and "Not at that point in time"  Do you mean "THEN?"  :rolleyes:

And weathermen on TV started warning us of "shower activity"  instead of "Rain".  Most of the words and phrases mentione in here so far are good suggestions to be added to Michigan's Lake Superior University's "Banished words and phrases" list.    Check it out....

https://www.lssu.edu/traditions/banishedwords/

Whitefang

40 years just posted  a saying in another forum, and I am going to give him all the credit - Covid Related.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, codename said:

The two most annoying words that I see literally every day are " Experts Say" 

 

New and Improved

Best Formula Yet

It Virtually Does It All

Yeah marketing people have degrees and they employ psychologist to get into out psyche.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...