Gibson Brands Forums

Got a Les Paul Custom 2021! Thoughts inside...

Guitarjon

Hi everyone, new member here but Gibson user since 2005! My old Les Paul Classic was the first big boy guitar I ever bought. I wish I still had it....

Through the years I've owned several Gibsons including another classic from 2003, a Les Paul menace, a Les Paul faded, an explorer and a Les Paul Custom from 2008. Eventually I ended up selling them all but I really regretted selling that custom, it was basically my dream guitar.

So until a few weeks ago I only owned a LP classic from 2015 which was a cool guitar in its own right, however I sold that in order to purchase my new 60s standard, but that's another story. Anyway, I really wanted another Les Paul Custom, a regular black non-reissue Custom. So I sold my PRS SC58 and finally ordered a brand new Les Paul Custom from Thomann.

It came last week and overall I'm super happy with it. It looks gorgeous, it plays great and sounds great too. Just as I remembered from my old one. Deep and rich sustain and a nice low action. The pickups are great too. Great for what I like to play which is mainly rock and metal. Also low gain stuff but primarily heavy stuff.

The guitar does have some small cosmetic flaws. Not an issue for me but I figured it might be to some. If it would have been a big deal, I would have sent it back but I decided to keep it.

I made a little review/demo video on this guitar along with some tones and more details on all the features and also a little bit on the cosmetic 'flaws' although I don't want to focus on the flaws too much because it's an amazing instrument. Check it out:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have one minor issue with my new Les Paul Custom....

I love my new Les Paul Custom EXCEPT for one thing:  I get a electrical "pop" every time I touch any metal parts on this guitar.  (Assuming its hooked up to an amp, of course.)  I've never had a guitar do this before.  Is there such a thing as an internal ground strap that may not be properly hooked up?

On 3/7/2022 at 11:40 AM, KraigW said:

I have one minor issue with my new Les Paul Custom....

I love my new Les Paul Custom EXCEPT for one thing:  I get a electrical "pop" every time I touch any metal parts on this guitar.  (Assuming its hooked up to an amp, of course.)  I've never had a guitar do this before.  Is there such a thing as an internal ground strap that may not be properly hooked up?

It has nothing to do with a bad ground.  In fact the guitar IS grounded properly if this happens.  When you pick up a charge (e.g. rubbing the guitar on your clothing while it rests on your lap as you play sitting down), this energy moves to a state of lower energy - i.e. to "ground".  This is what you are experiencing.  If you heard a hum, buzz, etc. when you are not touching the guitar, you have a grounding issue possibly.  But as said, this is very, very common.  Take it or leave it with Gibson.  At least you know this is not something unique to your LP Custom. 

Thank you for the replies. 

Wow. Ok.  So my $5,000 Gibson Custom Les Paul pops with static electricity every time I touch the strings... but my $600 Epiphone Les Paul does not.  Neither does my $400 Squire nor my 12 string Dean.  If I can figure out how to post a video I will.

Just now, KraigW said:

Thank you for the replies. 

Wow. Ok.  So my $5,000 Gibson Custom Les Paul pops with static electricity every time I touch the strings... but my $600 Epiphone Les Paul does not.  Neither does my $400 Squire nor my 12 string Dean.  If I can figure out how to post a video I will.

I wanted to shoot it straight.  My LP Custom does it, my other Gibsons do too.  I don't want to blow smoke at you as to WHY this happens with Gibsons and not less expensive Epis or Fenders, but it is very common. 

Put a video on YouTube, then share the link here.  Hopefully it embeds the video where we can just watch it here - if you do it right, because people definitely share YT videos. 

Depending on how much charge you have built up, it could be a louder pop or quieter pop.  Not sure I understand what difference you are conveying other than one sounds louder than the other.  Do you see the electrical breakdown of the air molecules - i.e. a spark? 

10 minutes ago, KraigW said:

Thanks Chris.  I will post something this afternoon.

I understand this is frustrating as all get out.  As mentioned I have this issue to with Gibsons that are a bit more aged as well, so that whole thing people tell you about it just goes away after the nitro cures...  not so sure I buy that one anymore - or even start pitching this to others. 

I am not so sure what exactly causes this TBH.  If I sit in a chair, rub my feet on the carpet while holding my Strat not touching metal parts on it at all (building up static charge), then decide to touch the bridge, do I get a "pop" noise - i.e. electrical discharge sound?  I know that even when I'm sitting down with ANY LP I own, I plug it in obviouisly and I can hear the static crackles when I rub the back of the guitar body directly behind the pickups.  Oh, this stuff you're seeing is real and I believe it happens on EVERY LP that is ever made and doesn't get better with time.  It is a live with it or get rid of it kinda thing...  This is my experience.  Your story sounds rather similar. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

13 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

To solve the problem, stop buying expensive guitars to sit in your sox in the living room and play sitting down.  Put some shoes on, get up on a stage, and rock out!!.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

lol!  This is why I probably kept my LPs with the static - or whatever it is - issues, because I play with some gain where the crunch definitely overpowers any slight "pop" sound from the static.  I never notice it for even a minute.  If I play clean though, yes, I can find my guitars are plagued with static pops and such, but I just live with my overpriced Gibson LPs that his is a side-effect of them.  As I said and probably continue to say, take it or leave it. 

@KraigW Yeah, that's pretty bad - and thanks for sharing that video.  My Gibson LPs have that pop sound too but not as bad as you have it per that video. 

I have no idea how to explain this what you're experiencing to 100% nail down what it is.  I'm not even going to attempt to break down this phenomenon for you as it probably involves some technical details that I am unaware of.  I hope it gets better, but again, can't say how that happens.  All that bling and can't be used because of this.  I wouldn't want to play that guitar...  Just me being honest because your LP Custom has something going on...  Whether it be nitro or electronic connections - or neither for all we know - that is not able to be used without a grounding wrist strap.  Don't be enamored with the bling, turn it in.  What's a guitar?  Wood, wires, some paint...  We spend a lot of money on the bling. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...