Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 350 From 50’s please HELP

Abozz

Hi!!! Cheers to all!

I need help from all of you! A store is selling me a Gibson from 50’s ES 350 (1956), The asking price is 3500$, and recieve me a Gibson Original Jumbo 2004 reissue from 1934 and 1000$ for that instrument (or cash), the problem is: The instrument start to crack on the bottom of the neck and the previous owner put 2 screws and was a horrible job. The instrument is now being repair with a luthier and he tell me is going to be perfect after that. All the resta are original. Do you thing is a good trade? 

1751461A-691B-4B7B-A0EA-3C07F95DF0DB.jpeg

208B5B26-0F3D-43C2-B3C0-15891F91440B.jpeg

417C298B-5D5B-4F31-B305-4AD9C65F8C93.jpeg

Edited by Abozz

Despite the fact that it will be a wonderful vintage guitar when restored (and cleaned up), as it has a neck break $3500 is a bit high.  

I am not quite clear on your post - are you trading it for a Gibson Original Jumbo 2004 reissue and $1000?

How much extra will the repair job cost?  It also needs tuners and will need a set-up.  I think the neck would originally have had binding on the sides and end of the fingerboard?

it does need a lot of work.

Good luck with it!

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

Despite the fact that it will be a wonderful vintage guitar when restored (and cleaned up), as it has a neck break $3500 is a bit high.  

I am not quite clear on your post - are you trading it for a Gibson Original Jumbo 2004 reissue and $1000?

How much extra will the repair job cost?  It also needs tuners and will need a set-up.  I think the neck would originally have had binding on the sides and end of the fingerboard?

it does need a lot of work.

Good luck with it!

Yes 1000+the OJ2004, or 3500$ cash (2 options), he will give me the guitar Absolutly repaired,  to a 100%, I do not have to repair the guitar myself. The 3500$ deal or OJ2004 plus 1000 is with a complete repair guitar. Is right now in hand of a good luthier at his cost not mine. Has the binding on the sides, but is too dirty that can’t be see on the picture. He tell me the guitar is going to have new frets, the neck repair perfect and reset, all  clean, and all his pots, electronic, p90 are originals and working. Tuners are original (dirty), he want to put ARB1 Instead of the rosewood bridge, and give me the original too. He send me pictures of the repair. I do not have 8000$ to buy a pristine one.   He tell me is from 1949/52, Is a good deal? 

6655214E-48B2-44AA-A4B7-871E7111CFC4.jpeg

Edited by Abozz

Is it a good deal?

Difficult to say (I'm no expert).

If you look at the going price for them, they are double that. But a major neck repair like that really diminishes the value of the instrument.  And you haven't played it yet either........:-k

IF you must have it, and IF the repairs and restoration are done well - if, if - then you will get what you pay for, and it should be a very good guitar which will last you many more years. 

However I'd also look round and see what Gibson f-hole guitars in similar style are being sold near to wherever you are....for that money you could buy something really good in fine condition, without the need for repair/restoration.  A guitar that has been repaired is never as valuable as one that doesn't need it.

Best wishes.

Edited by jdgm

7 hours ago, jdgm said:

Is it a good deal?

Difficult to say (I'm no expert).

If you look at the going price for them, they are double that. But a major neck repair like that really diminishes the value of the instrument.  And you haven't played it yet either........:-k

IF you must have it, and IF the repairs and restoration are done well - if, if - then you will get what you pay for, and it should be a very good guitar which will last you many more years. 

However I'd also look round and see what Gibson f-hole guitars in similar style are being sold near to wherever you are....for that money you could buy something really good in fine condition, without the need for repair/restoration.  A guitar that has been repaired is never as valuable as one that doesn't need it.

Best wishes.

Thanks! I have  a month for reflexion until the restoration is done. I’m not sure. A 3500$ 1949/52 Gibson ES350 is a tentation, a break joint headstock repaired is a no no, is not easy, where I’m is almost impossible to see a Gibson F hole from 50’s. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gibson Original Jumbo2004 reissue from 1934? Or is it an ‘04 and a reissue of a 1934 model?  How does a guitar made in 2004 go back in time?

And a big no from me, but I’m not buying it.

Sorry if my english is too bad. Made in 2004 Gibson Original Jumbo 1934 reissue. 

9CDD1142-36E3-439F-894C-4A7B4114E265.jpeg

• Like 1

If you have to have it, absolutely have to have it, beyond rational thought and reason have to have it just to have it, and for no other reason than you just have to have it, no opinions from anyone else will change your mind.

If you have to question it this hard, if you have to get the advice of complete strangers on the internet, you probably have some rational and reasonable thoughts about it yourself, some doubts are nagging at you.

The "I shoulda bought that when I could" feeling doesn't ever leave you, it does weaken, it gets better over time, it let's your thinking take over, and you will remember how tough that choice was and you will be glad you didn't buy it.

The opposite thing, "Man, I shoulda never done this" NEVER leaves, it doesn't weaken, it usually gets worse over time.

I hope you can work it out.  I mostly hope you can find one that isn't hacked like that, no matter how well repaired.  It's usually good to just say "Pass.  There are plenty of others out there that aren't broken" but it seems that doesn't really work for this guitar.

rct

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rct said:

If you have to have it, absolutely have to have it, beyond rational thought and reason have to have it just to have it, and for no other reason than you just have to have it, no opinions from anyone else will change your mind.

If you have to question it this hard, if you have to get the advice of complete strangers on the internet, you probably have some rational and reasonable thoughts about it yourself, some doubts are nagging at you.

The "I shoulda bought that when I could" feeling doesn't ever leave you, it does weaken, it gets better over time, it let's your thinking take over, and you will remember how tough that choice was and you will be glad you didn't buy it.

The opposite thing, "Man, I shoulda never done this" NEVER leaves, it doesn't weaken, it usually gets worse over time.

I hope you can work it out.  I mostly hope you can find one that isn't hacked like that, no matter how well repaired.  It's usually good to just say "Pass.  There are plenty of others out there that aren't broken" but it seems that doesn't really work for this guitar.

rct

Good advice! Thanks! 

The rule of thumb that I've heard around here is that the value of that kind of guitar will be about 1/2 of what it would be without the break.  That's a very approximate rule.  But that's once its repaired as good as new and stable.  That's not a sure thing at all.  The guy could do a $2000 repair or a $500 repair and you might not be able to tell the difference until it's too late.  Gibsons are not generally a good investment when they're in that kind of condition.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a hard question to answer. It sounds to me that he is trading you the OJ for the guitar, and then charging you $1000 for the repair work. Is he painting the neck for you as well? 

If these are impossible to find in your area, I bet the OJ is also really hard to find. I would not commit to buying anything until the work is done and you can play it. If when you play it and it is fixed you think it is worth it, pay him what he wants and you will be happy. But if the repair is not as good as he says it will be, maybe you can negotiate to just trade the guitars and save the cash.  

If he does a great job but not as good as you want, maybe someone else will buy it for more money

• 3 weeks later...