Gibson Brands Forums

Identify my SG model, please.

Chris Gjelsten

0700B406-414C-4143-8438-836252330CFA.thumb.jpeg.a1f43abba0d958b32fdcbf92b76ae08c.jpegI

I bought an SG with gold logo and crown on black headstock. Plain truss rod cover. Grover tuners from Gibson. 24 fret. Ivoroid trapezoid inlays. Satin heritage cherry. Like a thick stain, not like a worn SG finish. Dated 2013. Made in Nashville. Is this a 70’s Tribute?  The seller told me Future Tribute, but those have keyless pegs, not Grovers 

Edited by Chris Gjelsten
Change pic

• Chris Gjelsten changed the title to Identify my SG model, please.
29 minutes ago, Chris Gjelsten said:

The manufacturer date is 10/2012 but it’s stamped 2013

The serial number 10/2012 is late in the year and the SG may not have been put on the market till 2013. Also be aware that they didn't make very many of these through the years..

From the features that aren't easily-swapped parts, I'd guess that this was a 70s Tribute, and that the things that don't match are modifications. The tuners and truss rod cover would be invisible swaps. The pickups would leave some evidence of the solder change (unless they swapped for new pots as well), and the pickguard wouldn't leave any sign, since there was nothing there to start with.

It could also be a Future Tribute with the same modifications, but I'm not sure what evidence would be left behind on those tuners.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

From the features that aren't easily-swapped parts, I'd guess that this was a 70s Tribute, and that the things that don't match are modifications. The tuners and truss rod cover would be invisible swaps. The pickups would leave some evidence of the solder change (unless they swapped for new pots as well), and the pickguard wouldn't leave any sign, since there was nothing there to start with.

It could also be a Future Tribute with the same modifications, but I'm not sure what evidence would be left behind on those tuners.

Thats what I was thinking. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 6:30 PM, mihcmac said:

It does look a lot more like the 2013 SG 60's Tribute below with a pickguard added and a plain nut cover.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-60s-Tribute.aspx

KKopLcQ.jpg

After much search it is indeed a 60’s Tribute with an added pickguard. It has all the components of a 60’s model. Thanks.