Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the difference between Standard and Traditional

On the new ones, my understanding is that the Standard has all the upgraded bells and whistles you might add on after market, like strap locks, the input jack has a lock on it so your cord won't come out as well. One cool things I have noticed is a see through cover over the pots on the back. It is also chambered as compared to weight relieved, so it is quite a bit lighter.

It was explained to me that the traditional is closer to the way the Les Paul used to be made and the Standard is the modernized version. The upgraded items (if you want that stuff on your guitar) is what pushes the value up, was my understanding.

The Traditional is definitely weight relieved. I just moved from a chambered Studio to a weight relieved Traditional. I prefer the extra weight. Loud and Proud is dead on when he states that the traditional is closer to the way the Les Paul used to be made and the Standard is the modernized version with added bells and whistles. I frankly don't think the added cost of the bells and whistles are worth it; the Traditional is a gorgeous intrument that plays like a dream. The Traditionals are also sold in a "plus" version, with nicely grained AA maple top in a number of finishes. Mine is a heritage cherry burst and it is sweet!

If you are just starting out I would recommend the Studio; it may not have binding on the body or neck or the nice maple finish but it plays nicely and sounds great.

Dude you might want to rethink that username. I'm not a practicing Catholic (I only show up for the games) but it certainly could be offensive to a lot of people.

Anyways, the Traditional is a guitar that has the specs that Les Paul fanatics like us are looking for. The new Standards have too many changes to the features and design to be comfortable with. Besides, all the standards since somewhere in 2006 have been chambered, it's a big deal that turns off a lot of us here.

Bottom line is to play them both, and if you like the locking tuners and locking output jack and clear backplate, great.

The biggest difference practically speaking is going to be the weight (the new standards are disturbingly light) and the pickups so they do sound different.

Dude you might want to rethink that username. I'm not a practicing Catholic (I only show up for the games) but it certainly could be offensive to a lot of people.

Anyways' date=' the Traditional is a guitar that has the specs that Les Paul fanatics like us are looking for. The new Standards have too many changes to the features and design to be comfortable with. Besides, all the standards since somewhere in 2006 have been chambered, it's a big deal that turns off a lot of us here.

Bottom line is to play them both, and if you like the locking tuners and locking output jack and clear backplate, great.

The biggest difference practically speaking is going to be the weight (the new standards are disturbingly light) and the pickups so they do sound different.[/quote']

Sorry mate didn't mean to offend you.

I Called guitar center to check their prices and the guy who answered did not have a clue what he was talking about and confused me even more.

So what is the difference between these 3?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=Les+Paul+Traditional&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go

the first 2 are the same, but one has a flamed maple top, the other does not... jsut comes in GoldTop or Black. the 3rd is new (i think) it has some variations, different neck size, different pick up in the bridge... just compare the specs.

i was hunting for my first LP a month ago and ended up with a Traditional GoldTop.. it's GREAT! it's just the one that felt the best to me. the new standards didn't do it for me, also i like 50's style necks.

byw, i like your users name :-

I Called guitar center ... and the guy who answered did not have a clue

That was you first mistake. There are three Guitar Centers within reach for me and there are only two ways I'll buy a guitar there. One is if there's some kind of un-advertised blowout to make room for new inventory (like Highway One Strats for $388 at the end of 2007). The second is where they are the only one to carry that model (like an ES339 or G0). But they haven't got a clue, didn't even know about the sale until they checked the computer. The Long Island store is careful to store the case and case candy and label them by inventory number. The Manhattan store just chucks everything in a drawer and piles the gig bags or cases so you're screwed if you want the accessories that came with your guitar. The Brooklyn store didn't know that there's a special GC model Les Paul. They mislable the hang tags with the wrong neck profile or color.

If at all possible try a mom and pop music store. The kind of place that has a professional repair tech. Where they give lessons. Where they have practice rooms to try out guitars with an amp with the door closed so everyone else doesn't have to listen to that Slash lick over and over again (it's the new Stairway to Heaven)... Also there might be local stores that are not dealers for new Gibson, but who specialize in good quality used guitars. Ask a musician, next time you hear somebody with nice gear, where they like to shop.

Go to the regular Gibson site, do a search for dealers. Then just for laughs do a search for authorized repair centers. Not the same list (and Guitar Center is not on the list for warranty repairs, keep that in mind).

The Traditional is as close as you can get to a Les Paul Standard.

The new Standard is a Les Paul with a goofy neck profile, gutted body, stupid control cavity mod, needless hardware "upgrades" like the bridge and tailpiece that are no longer a slip-off affair, an output jack that I would NEVER own, and several other things to bring derision out of any real Les Paul afficianado.

Oh, and they charge more money for all that.

Locking tuners are okay, beyond that it's a joke.

Archived