Gibson Brands Forums

Saw this on craigslist, what do you guys think? If it was closer to me i'd grab it for the price, maybe one of u guys are closer.

Tim G

Good morning, i just saw this listing in No. California and was curious more than anything what you guys thought.  Not sure if it's legit or not but if it is you couldn't wrong for the price (kinda looks real to me).  It's a little too far for me and i'm not willing to send any $.   It's cool decoration if nothing else for that price.  Thought it'd be interesting to get your guy's comments.  Heck maybe one of you lives close enough to grab it!  Cheers!

https://monterey.craigslist.org/msg/d/willits-gibson-acoustic-vintage-guitar/7436904605.html

The guitar is legit.  If the seller & deal is legit, then it’s a screaming give-away of a deal, as the guitar appears to be in rather good condition.  And in this day & age of easy information access via the internet, that sends up an automatic red flag of caution.

Without digging deeper to narrow it down -  it’s got a truss rod, so it’s an L-style acoustic archtop from the mid 20’s to early ‘30s.  Typically these have very chunky necks, but can be a joy to play if you enjoy the punchy archtop acoustic tone.

Edited by bobouz

i was surprised to see this myself and i thought to myself it's too good to be true.  He say's he'll ship it but i don't if want to take a chance in sending money.  It's super cool looking tho!  If one of you guys want to try it let me know how it goes!!! 

15 minutes ago, Tim G said:

i was surprised to see this myself and i thought to myself it's too good to be true.  He say's he'll ship it but i don't if want to take a chance in sending money.  It's super cool looking tho!  If one of you guys want to try it let me know how it goes!!! 

So rare to see immediate interest in shipping on CL. All he needs is a handful of people to pay the asking price plus $50 shipping to have a good day. Usually with the internet it's the opposite: people who see Gibson on the headstock and think they've hit the lottery.