Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone please help certify this Les Paul Standard - Pleaseee..

gabriel_uk

My Fathers got a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard for only 549$ in the 60's i hear they are worth over 100' date='000 these days.[/quote']

Really ??? :)

I guess the point I was making was that the OP had possibly got the guitar at below market value, whether it continues to increase in value like your father's guitar is unknown I guess.

You paid £850 for a Les Paul Standard? Man that is a good deal. I am certainly no expert but I reckon if you put that up on that famous auction site you would easily get £1200 for it.

Indeed, I might've had the luck of getting it cheaper, but it wasn't just about the money. I was affraid to make the step without making sure it would be an original or wihout seing that the seller's main priority was to see me happy with my purchase and not having a quick sale dosh in his pocket. With a Gibson is not ultimately about the money. It would feel lame to see someone getting rid so easily of something that should have been close to his heart without firstly making sure it will go to someone who will care for it at least as much as he did. My luck stands in finding such a person within driving range and in having had the help of everyone here. The fact that I found my Gibson at this price and that the guitar itself hasn't even got hairline scratches, is just a bonus. Having played violin for most of my life - and we all know how slim a violin neck is - the only thing that I really wanted was a 60's slimmer neck but that wouldn't have been decisive in the end.

Bottom line is that somehow this beauty managed to fit my dream's profile... colour, neck, condition, distance, seller and every other aspect of it. Even the fact that it's a weight relieved model is a plus that I couldn't even see back then, not knowing exactly what "weight relieved" meant. But the main achievement was to see all you guys here getting together to help me out.

Simply AWESOME... Thanks guys... Appreciated indeed :-)

Archived