Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG-100 (70-72)

Abozz

Hi to all!

Want to share this beauty that I just bought, is a rarity, maple body and neck, p90, made for my beloved infamous Norlin era, early 70’s, nice condition, Diablo color and an AWESOME but AWESOME tone! Is all I know about this model if someone want to share some more info would be nice! 

94A5D503-FA38-4AEC-80A4-189CB1A6840C.jpeg

Edited by Abozz

The P-90 is not original, but otherwise this guitar looks like it's in great shape - especially with how many of them are very beat up.

The SG-100, SG-200, and SG-250 were essentially the next generation of Melody Maker. They are a little more labor-intensive than the Melody Maker, since the pickup and controls are in separate cavities and therefore require that horizontal hole to be drilled, but they were less effort than a standard SG, since the cavities are both on the top.

2 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

The P-90 is not original, but otherwise this guitar looks like it's in great shape - especially with how many of them are very beat up.

The SG-100, SG-200, and SG-250 were essentially the next generation of Melody Maker. They are a little more labor-intensive than the Melody Maker, since the pickup and controls are in separate cavities and therefore require that horizontal hole to be drilled, but they were less effort than a standard SG, since the cavities are both on the top.

I’m pretty sure the p90 are original. This model came with that cover (another rarity) maybe the only gibson with p90 cover made. I’m trying to attach the Gibson Brouchure from this guitar but is too heavy. Later I will try again. 

Edited by Abozz

59 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Beloved Norlin Era?

is that even a thing?

(and yes, I know what it refers too)

well anyway, I don't think I've ever seen one of these in captivity. 

They only made a few hundred of all of them, 100,200,250.  They only made them for a year.

rct

2 hours ago, Abozz said:

I’m pretty sure the p90 are original. This model came with that cover (another rarity) maybe the only gibson with p90 cover made. I’m trying to attach the Gibson Brouchure from this guitar but is too heavy. Later I will try again. 

You know what, I'm wrong-ish. The SG-100 had a single coil pickup in the neck. The SG-100 Junior was released at the end of this series, and that is what you have. It's kind of a transitional model between the SG-100 and the SG I that replaced it.

46 minutes ago, rct said:

They only made a few hundred of all of them, 100,200,250.  They only made them for a year.

rct

There are allegedly almost 5,000 of the three models combined, with more than half being the SG-200.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pohatu771 said:

You know what, I'm wrong-ish. The SG-100 had a single coil pickup in the neck. The SG-100 Junior was released at the end of this series, and that is what you have. It's kind of a transitional model between the SG-100 and the SG I that replaced it.

There are allegedly almost 5,000 of the three models combined, with more than half being the SG-200.

Works for me.  Gibson isn't known for their stellar How Many We Made numbers.  It was only a year or so.

rct

4 hours ago, kidblast said:

Beloved Norlin Era?

is that even a thing?

(and yes, I know what it refers too)

well anyway, I don't think I've ever seen one of these in captivity. 

Yes my thing! I love Norlin era Gibson. 

Edited by Abozz

17 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

This is the P90 that came with my guitar

8AA1A0FA-9599-4267-BA19-B17217D597D3.jpeg