Gibson Brands Forums

What was that one called?

Bard2dbone

Back in the late '80's and maybe into the '90's, Gibson had a guitar that was mostly like the Lucille, as in: a semi hollow thin body in the traditionall 335/345/355 shape, but with no f-holes. ctually no holes at all. The only ones I saw local guys play both had EMG's in them. And the only celebrity artist I ever saw play one was Steve Howe.

I jammed with one guy who said he found one in a pawnshop and sold it on ebay. He described it as "a sunburst Lucille without the varitone-thing".

What was the name of that guitar? And are they ever still around. I've wanted one for something like fifteen years.

Well crap.

It was LIKE a Lucille, but without the fancy touches. And it came it other finishes. The same way a Lucille is a 355 wihtout f holes, this was a 335 without f holes.

I want to say it was called something like an "ES-Artist" but that could be some other model entirely.

I remember Steve Howe had one that he added a second pickguard to.

I want one. I've wanted one since they were new.

Okay. I finally found some info online.

It was called an ES-Artist. They were made from about '79 to about '86.

Norlin/Gibson had a bunch of the Moog systems left from the RD-Artists that nobody wanted. So they tried putting them in other body types.

The original Es Artists were sealed 335 type bodies with the Moog electronics in them.

I did remember correctly that Steve Howe played them. He had four when he was with ASIA and they were all he used with that band.

And I want one

All I see is a red X.

edit: Now there's a picture. Strangely, it's not the guitar I expected. The ones I remember guys playing locally (with the EMG's in them) had traditional 2 vol,2 tone, 1 switch 335 controls, just without F holes. That's the one I really want.

How do you make the pictures big enough to actually see on this forum?

I've looked at a few threads where people posted pics and they were all tiny. Like just now in this last post there are two pics that are about a quarter inch square and one that's roughly a half inch by a quarter inch. I can't make out what I'm looking at in that.

edit: And when I posted this, the pics got bigger. The 335S is visually similar to the one I'm talking about, but it would weigh a ton. And the guitar I'm trying to find out about is about the weight of a normal 335.

How do you make the pictures big enough to actually see on this forum?

Just update your browser once the page is loaded (F5 in IE). It will load the page again with the full-size pictures.

There is a prototype guitar, the ES-357, that has no F-holes and 3 humbuckers. It was developed with input from Mitch Holder, a former tonight show guitarist. It was never put into mass production, however. But to complete the thought, there were 3 models without f-holes, BB King, ES Artist, and ES-357.

http://www.mitchholder.com/scripts/uploads/gallery/temp1/13_1155003028.jpg

Archived