Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of strings the Hummingbird has?

Floodban

Gibsons are generally shipped with Gibson Masterbuilt phosphor/bronze light strings. 0.12 - 0.053. The first and second strings (e and =D> are unwound, the others are wound. They are steel strings. Nylon strings are found on classical guitars. Think Andre Segovia. The nylon strings would not make your Hummingbird or any other steel string guitar sound it's best. They just wouldn't drive the top and I think would sound rather "muddy." My 2 cents.

Just an added warning: Do NOT put steel strings on a classical guitar. Classicals do not have truss rods and the necks aren't built to withstand the tension of steel strings.

+1 Good point drathbun. Also' date=' if you want to use a pick, look at a Willie Nelson video first! lol[/size']

Just an added warning: Do NOT put steel strings on a classical guitar. Classicals do not have truss rods and the necks aren't built to withstand the tension of steel strings.

they also don't have the bridge or bracing to handle it. you will rip the bridge off the top, if not pull the top off.

My J-100 started o buzz a little (admittedly the action is low-er). I took it in to the luthier and he played a few chords and said "You have Martin strings on this, huih?" Yes (I tend to use Martin light SP4100 PB strings on my acoustics). He said "not really good for your guitar (did he mean mine specifically or Gibson J-100?) .. those Martin players (he says) like to them to drum on their guitar for volume and they like the action high so they can pound away on the strings BUT (he's saying) nobody ought to beat up a guitar since they have a pickup if you want volume .... let me keep this a few days and think about what strings to put on it." (strings make tension .. so until you have the string issue worked out neck and saddle adjustments are going to change ..." Obviously he does not like Martin strings .. he has a rack of D'Adarrio's there. He likes the J-100 (xtra) and so do I .. he does not say anything bad about Martin, but that is a "view" of the brand I had not seen before. I know a number of Martin players who have a heavy hand -- very C-W and folk oriented. My Tacoma has a "low action" too and I had some work done on it to get it lowered (about 1998-99). (I'm accustomed to electrics)

Maybe Martin strings have a bigger core and thinner windings. You'd end up with the same diameter strings but with the larger core you might get more energy and volume but also an increase in tension.

I don't know, I'm just babbling.

I typically use D'Addario but I use Darco (Martin's cheap grade) once in a while. They work fine to my ears and hands but hey, a new set of strings is an improvement unless they are really awful strings..... Dean Markley for example.

Oops, did I say that?

I have been using Elixir light on my electrics ... but on them the action is low and the Elixir a very flexible do just fine. (also if they buzz you just twist the bridge nut and they raise up). Strings have been an on-going struggle on my acoustics and particularly the Gibson. I know that once the right strings are put on it and the neck is adjusted (to that tension) it will be a non-issue. I get buzz on the Tacoma too .. that guitar does well with Martin SP4100 PB. So does the Yamaha but the Yamaha action is high-er and the sides & back are laminate so the sound is compromised. Also since tension is a factor .. I tend to change one string at a time in order to keep the tension where it was. I think he will put D'Addario's on it.

I have an Epiphone Hummingbird which until 2 days ago always had Elixir lights on it. I loved the way they sounded, felt and lasted. It now has a set of Gibson Masterbuilt PB Lights on it and has become the rich, full sounding guitar I always hoped it might be. Played an hour long open-air set today and really enjoyed my improved sound. I didn't want to stop!! I was really surprised by the positive change in sound as I have tried D'addario EJ16s in the past and was very unimpressed with them and I didn't think that these would be that different.

Archived