Gibson Brands Forums

‘70s era 335 short Center block

Papa

Hi all! Have done a search and can’t find any info re this. I have what I’m pretty sure is a ‘74 335. I’ve read that they made these with an incomplete center maple block, but can’t find any details on this design. Anyone know exactly what this short center block is all about? For example, does it begin at the neck join and extend to just below the pups? Or does it begin at the tail and extend to just above the neck pup? Or is it “floating” in the middle of the body cavity? I’ve had the pups out, but can’t tell what the architecture of the centre block is. Also, what effect does this have on the tone of these models? Just curious. I love this guitar and its tone, so it’s just curiosity that prompts my question. Thanks to all for any replies.

I can’t say for certainty, but I have a 1974 Les Paul Signature that’s similar. The center block is “T” shaped & doesn’t go all the way to the end of the guitar. I was able to take my Wi-Fi Borescope & push it from one side to the other. It’s likely that they built all ES guitars the same way……….

lAqiJ9yl.jpg

• Like 1

After much squinting and neck contortions I was able to just barely see the Center block through the upper f-hole. It appears to extend from the heel of the body towards the neck, but ends just between the bridge posts and the bridge pup.  There is a thin (approx 1/2”) extention of the block that continues along the back of the body to the neck. Shining a flashlight into the lower f-hole confirmed that the upper (neck side) body cavity is open from one side to the other.

Given what I have read re Norlin-era Gibsons, I’m assuming this design was meant as a cost-saving measure, although a less cynical view might be that they were trying to make a lighter, more resonant instrument 😉

One would think that this design would move the guitar’s tone more towards a hollow body sound. I would think this would be a fairly subtle tone shift, and not something that would be obvious to my amateur ears.

As I said above, I love this guitar’s tone and playability.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:14 AM, SteveFord said:

Grog,

I've always been interested in that model.  What's your take on it?

It is definitely it’s own animal, a cross between a Les Paul & an ES-335. The low impedance circuitry and pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence. It actually has a “Balanced “ 3 wire output jack to plug it into a mixing board, all of the other low impedance models of the time were only “Unbalanced” 2 wire. The earliest guitars shipped had the same pickups that were on the Les Paul Recording in cream. It has the chunkier Les Paul neck. It is fun to play………..

Sgx49bq.jpg

• Like 1

I looked in the “Gruhn’s Guide to Vintage Guitars” & this is what it said……..

KaLsxtll.jpg

I think they worded it backwards, “Center Block extends only from tailpiece to end pin: Dec 1972-Aug 1975.”  The block extends from the neck to past the tailpiece.

This does at least show that during this timeframe the center block was different.

Edited by Grog

Thanks all for your replies and thoughts.

In my particular 335, the full thickness center block seems to extend from the end pin to just past the bridge posts, which, yes, means the bridge pup screws are only attached to the top. I know! Crazy!

I have done my best to get a photo with my iPhone inserted into the upper F-hole and a flashlight. These are  the best I could get. The end pin is to the right, neck to the left. You can make out the end of the bridge pup floating in the open cavity, and if you look close you can see a bit of light at the far side of the cavity coming in from the bottom F-hole.

When I’ve had the pups out before, I did notice there was a lot of empty space around the bridge pup. The neck pup, though, is nestled into a routed cavity in a solid block of wood. Makes me think there is a second short block just at the neck. I.e., two blocks, with a space between them under the bridge pup.

Finally, as you can see, there seems to be two plates, upper and lower, that the centre block is sandwiched between, and these plates appear to run the full length of the body cavity, endpin to neck.

IMG_1629.jpeg

IMG_1630.jpeg

IMG_1631.jpeg

I just changed my strings, so I’m loath to remove them at this time, but I’ll be sure to pop the pups out at next string change and get some better pictures. This has really piqued  my curiosity. Thanks everyone for your input.