Gibson Brands Forums

Big „cracks“ between neck and fretboard. Should a luthier give it a check? Or is this normal?

tido

Hello guys, I've bought this 90s Sg and I have a question about the big crack that goes all over between neck and fretboard. 

The guitar is really worn and the seller told me that the crack is really just on the lacquer and this is normal after so many years and play hours.

what do guys say? Should I worry about it? It’s like from first to last fret..

23FF43C6-0246-4C75-B1A9-01E118D2A93C.jpeg

565C6A86-5FD2-446F-868B-CACD20B96BFA.jpeg

227D8A5F-4A9E-481A-966A-0F11BD699D10.jpeg

28D5196C-D098-4DF1-8252-F6C8EBC8EDAC.jpeg

I think is probably ok. However...

Nitro lacquer will check with a guitar of this age, though the headstock pic does suggest the neck was stressed there (impact or pressure). Of more concern is the long crack at the edge of the fingerboard. It may just be part of a stress crack though I'd be a bit concerned that the fingerboard might be separating. On your next string change, try carefully pulling the two sections apart. Hopefully there wont be any movement. If there is, its going to need repair.  

Good luck

3 minutes ago, Realmongo said:

More Navy humor?

No I made it up on my own. I know guitars check and craze (is that the right term?), but that looks really horrible like the fretboard is going to come off.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, tido said:

Thanks for your feedback.  I changed strings, but I couldn’t see anything moving..

Anymore opinions? Anyone with the same cracks?.. 😂

Looks like a few things going on there,  the fretboard seem seems to be popping a bit, that does happen.

The area up by the nut does look suspiciously like a result of some impact as ME mentions

Maybe not enough to crack the neck but maybe enough to make those checks on the finish.

Some of it's cosmetics, for sure.  Hopefully you got it on the $low$ side

It seems to happen more / be much more noticeable, on Gibsons with the gloss white finish.  I've seen this sort of thing previously but it does look pretty bad from your pics.  I suspect it's more to do with the paint not moving while the wood expands or contracts very slightly and that the long crack is to do with the binding more than the board, but I'm no expert - so forum members please correct me if I'm wrong.  I would certainly take it to a good repairman for their opinion and an estimate.

Best wishes!

Edited by jdgm

Probably started out as ordinary finish cracks along the neck.  The nut area looks impacted, I agree.  The rest probably aggravated by the, uh, constant use of spray products that purport to make things smoother and wicked faster.  They don't.  They just get under the slightest flaw in the paint and help make it less slight over time.

rct

1 hour ago, rct said:

Probably started out as ordinary finish cracks along the neck.  The nut area looks impacted, I agree.  The rest probably aggravated by the, uh, constant use of spray products that purport to make things smoother and wicked faster.  They don't.  They just get under the slightest flaw in the paint and help make it less slight over time.

rct

None of my Martin's do that. Wait I just heard binding go "Boing" in one of the cases.

• Haha 1