Gibson Brands Forums

Teaching yourself to play left handed. Has anyone tried?

duane v

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

I think you should give it a serious shot.   I hurt my rotator cuff a couple of years ago.  Dog  lives to play 'fetch' in backyard.  So, I committed to learn how to throw lefty.  Was ridiculous at first. A few times ball went in opposite direction, etc.  I'd guess it took 3 or 4 months doing it for 10 - 15 minutes every day to get as accurate as my right arm/hand (which benefited rom the rest).  Still, of course, not quite as strong and accurate as my right,  but I'd guess the gap will close over the years.     My wife is/was an Occupational Therapist  and had mentioned over the years how some people have strokes disabling their 'strong' side and are helpless trying to do anything left handed.  So - I try to do stuff Lefty when I can.   Buttoning shirt, etc.   I'm sure playing guitar or bass would be twice as easy as learning from scratch!    G'Luck !  

Jim, I don't see why a person couldn't learn to play as a lefty, it'll just take time and repetition.

No I never tried to play left handed and no need to. My left arm & hand are deaf & dumb plus the lefty has been almost cut off at 16 and never has worked the same since.  I have half  the strength in the left as the right. So I'll stick to whats right, Lol. 

• Like 1

I'm right handed and play as such, but my daughter is a lefty and has a lefty SG.  I tried it a few times, but every time I tried I was over-thinking (more likely not thinking enough) the placement of fingering chords with my right hand.  That plus looking down at the fretboard upside down almost caused my brain to melt.  Had to calm down with a few beers after such a harrowing experience.  I applaud anyone who can play them lefty guitars!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update.

Actually everything is moving along at a nice pace and I'm starting to get the feel of everything. I learned Crazy Train and Michelle so far and been using scale exercises. 

I purchased a wrist brace for my right wrist as the pain the next day was pretty bad after the first few days of playing left-handed, but the pain is slowly going away. Also my left peck is taking a little bit of a beating because it's not used to a guitar body leaning against it, and also my right leg is a bit soar. I'm also playing standing up as well as the tendons get a different work out.

There is no adverse affect when I play my guitars right handed, which I was worried about. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, duane v said:

An update.

Actually everything is moving along at a nice pace and I'm starting to get the feel of everything. I learned Crazy Train and Michelle so far and been using scale exercises. 

I purchased a wrist brace for my right wrist as the pain the next day was pretty bad after the first few days of playing left-handed, but the pain is slowly going away. Also my left peck is taking a little bit of a beating because it's not used to a guitar body leaning against it, and also my right leg is a bit soar. I'm also playing standing up as well as the tendons get a different work out.

There is no adverse affect when I play my guitars right handed, which I was worried about. 

I vaguely remember having those slight aches and pains when I started to learn to play righty, being a righty.   Didn't have pecs, so that wasn't an issue, but I remember getting kinks in my 4th finger when I'd stretch it to the 5th fret. 

This is inspiring - I'm thinking of learning to play the harmonica lefty now... 

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Are you going to play Paul in a Beatles Trib band? 

Nope.

I just acquired this great 20/40th Anniversary Hofner bass guitar and it's LH, so I saw it as an opportunity. Another thing is it will free up headstock space in my music room. I can't count how many time I nearly  smacked the person to the left of me with my RH bass guitar headstocks. 

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

You should either find a larger room or stand further apart from one another.

Whitefang

uhhh.... The room is in my house so there is no changing that. And the dimensions of the room isn't changing so that means the proximity to the person on my left isn't changing. So do you have any LH practicing techniques I may find useful?????

Gracias

I was one of those kids that picked up my fork with my left hand and my mom took the fork and put it in my right. In the late 70's I acquired a left handed Hofner Bass and thought it would be cool to play it like Paul for a Beatles project I was trying out. I was able to make the transition but was still several months away from being fully competent when I got a R/handed Ibanez Axe Star and went back to 6-string. It was fun for a while playing lefty, but there are so many more righty guitars out there.

I know that left-handed persons forced to perform tasks right-handed can suffer trauma, but in my experience, voluntarily playing golf and guitar right-handed did not. Was it because I chose to do so rather than being forced?

Possibly.

But having never done these things any other way, and being comfortable doing so, I don't see any advantage to trying to re-learn them left-handed.

There are far better uses for my time.

RBSinTo

15 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

I know that left-handed persons forced to perform tasks right-handed can suffer trauma, but in my experience, voluntarily playing golf and guitar right-handed did not. Was it because I chose to do so rather than being forced?

Possibly.

But having never done these things any other way, and being comfortable doing so, I don't see any advantage to trying to re-learn them left-handed.

There are far better uses for my time.

RBSinTo

Do you play Goalie lefty or righty ?  

On 2/22/2022 at 7:16 PM, Farnsbarns said:

The guitar manager at GAK (who left and went to GuitarGuitar some years ago) was left handed but had learned to play a RH guitar upside down. That impressed me. 

(GAK and GuitarGuitar are big UK retailers, just by they way)

I knew someone at Art College (I was 16 & just beginning to play) who did that. Yes, that impressed me too, especially as he had to fingerpick upside down. 

Update.

After almost two weeks it's safe to say I will be a left handed bass player. Everything is going much faster than expected and that's probably due to me practicing  a minimum of 3 hours every day. It's funny how this exercise is sparking some memories when I was first learning to play guitar as a little kid. 

A combination of learning songs and chromatic fingering exercises has really expedited the learning process and I think knowing how to read music is helping on the mental part. Another thing that helped early on was playing the bass like a standup bass. This helped keep my perspective on the fret board as it kept me looking to the left (as one one would when playing right handed) until I was able to associate the notation with every fret.

Now I'm  just waiting for the "second nature" aspect to become part of the whole process. Every once and a while I still pick up the bass and want to play it right handed. lol 

I am right handed and I lost part of my ring finger on my left hand while serving in the military.

I decided that I would try left handed guitar so I purchased a cheap strat style guitar and set out on the struggle. It was difficult but after a few months of practicing every day I mentioned to my guitar player in our band I was thinking about giving up.

That's when Luke asked me to play for him and he asked me to play the open D chord and I played it. I could do the cowboy chords but a little slower than I liked. Then Luke asked me to let him try and he had a hard time and he handed the guitar back to me and said you have come a long way don't give up now.

I think a year later we lost our bass player in the band and I asked the guys if I could do bass and we gave it a shot. It was fun learning all the songs on bass but my first love was guitar.

I will tell you I used how I held the pick playing right handed when learning left handed. I used to pick up a right handed guitar and play just to see how I held the pick and then mirror it left handed. I think the hardest part was my picking hand

I wont lie it took a few years but I started trying when I was about 50 years old.

Now all of my guitars  and bass guitars are left handed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I am now almost going on three months and I also purchased a left Fender Jazz Bass. Now that I am very comfortable with playing left handed with a pick, I have started using my fingers which is a bit more challenging. 

So I have made the decision to take Bass lessons at the Fret House. I also have my pal coming over to jam with me so that I can learn pocket awareness as a bass player rather than a guitar player.... two different worlds. He also likes electronic drums now. lol 

The Jimi Hendrix Room...

IMG_1108.JPG