Gibson Brands Forums

Teaching yourself to play left handed. Has anyone tried?

duane v

dv,   you might look around for something else you can do left-handed now that you've turned the corner.  It might speed up your already great progress.  Fork or toothbrush or just your comb in your left hand...   will be awkward at first - you might want to start out wearing safety goggles, and after a while may just go back to using your right hand -  but I'm guessing expanding the mind-motor control connections for your left hand will benefit your playing lefty.  G'Luck !

• Like 1

I played with a guy who was left-handed. He could play the guitar either way. He learned on a lefty guitar but later picked up a 'normal' guitar, and eventually could play the normal guitar better.

He told me that the normal guitar is already left-handed, and it made sense. On a normal guitar, the left hand does most of the work, playing chords and notes on the fretboard and moving up and down the neck, while the right hand stays pretty much in one position and picks or strums the strings. The left hand actually does much more work than the right.

Jimi Hendrix was ambidextrous, but signed his name and ate with his right hand. Yet he played a lefty guitar. Why? Perhaps the left-handed guitar is really the only right handed one.

So why make a 'left-handed' guitar if the guitar is already a left-handed instrument? I guess when a lefty finds something made special for them, they go for it.

My sax is a left-handed instrument, and they don't make any other kind. The left hand is involved in playing every note but the middle octave C#. The right hand has nothing to do on all the octaves of G, G#, A, B, C and C# plus one octave of D and Eb. Left had works much harder.

But whatever works for you is the right thing to do.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I’m left handed & play a right handed Guitar.. It was all there was around when I learned to play on since I didn’t own a Guitar at that time.. I was in the Army & borrowed them at the EM Club…

I’ve tried to play lefty but gave it up quickly.. I should restring one of my Guitars & give it a try.. 

• 2 weeks later...

So we have our first impromptu gig this Saturday. Below are the tunes I'm playing bass (left handed) and singing.... I have been rehearsing like a mad man.  

Michelle
Can’t Buy Me Love
Something
Dear Prudence
In My Life
Chains
Breathe (Pink Floyd)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
I just want to Be Your Everything (Andy Gibb)
Sweet City Woman (Stampeders) 

Keep plugging away, I found that holding a lefty bass as much a s possible, like while watching TV and noodling  constantly helped create familiarity with it. I spent about a month working on lefty bass but got derailed by a righty 6-string Axe Star.