Gibson Brands Forums

Best Way to Clean a 'Sticky' Acoustic Guitar?

bobby_dazzler

Hi everyone, I've just bought a LG-2 American Eagle from 2014. It's in great condition and sounds amazing but the whole body and neck is a little bit sticky and has some sweat stains. It also has a slight smell. I have Gibson polish, but should I do something to try and clean it first before using polish?  Could I use a damp cloth and a little bit of detergent?

gibson_lg2_american_eagle_acou_1635558492_bf44d638_progressive.jpeg

Edited by bobby_dazzler

I've used Murphy's Wood Oil Soap  for several years on the raw wood on the fretboard and bridge.  Coconut/vegetable based cleaner.  Works great.  I'm sure it would not harm a nitro finish.  Very small amount goes a long way.      I'd double check the case - that could be the source of the problem.  Hopefully the previous owner did not have a cat that only played Martins.   I have no idea how you'd clean the inside of a case.  Airing it out might be enough - unless it's pernicious. 

We all know that Nitro tends to take a long time to really harden and cure, but for a 2014, should be all that by now.

Another nod for virtuoso, and polish that stuff is top shelf.

by detergent, I'm assuming you mean like a mild soap/water solution with like drop or two dish soap in warm tap water and a damp clean cloth right? 

That would not be harmful, and just a damp cloth would be ok too

that looks like a standard Gibson Boseman issued case, just like the one my Sj200 rests in,  it's been fine for me.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

Another vote for Virtuoso cleaner and polish.  Also, many say Naptha will do the job, but I've never used it.  Want to go easy with polishes as what many don't realize is that they remove a little bit of the top layer of finish, leaving a lower clean layer exposed.  Also I would recommend a micro fiber cloth for polishing, even the softest cotton cloth will leave swirl marks.

• Like 1

Wondering how literal "sticky" is here. I made the mistake of spraying DEET insect repellant (Deep Woods OFF) on my shirt before playing once. It ate right into the finish and the guitar was literally "sticky". It even left a print of my t-shirt fabric weave on the back. I used Virtuoso cleaner on that, but the finish still took awhile to harden. Now, I think the real problem was the alcohol content of the DEET spray, which attacks the nitro finish. So, in these pandemic times, it makes me wonder if somebody tried to clean that guitar with alcohol? That might soften the finish and make it sticky. 

Edited by Boyd

Naptha will remove peanut butter and jelly residue from the neck and won't hurt anything.

I've had two Gibsons with sticky necks and nothing worked until I gave it a waxing with Mother's California Gold (it's a car and motorcycle paste wax).  It took two attempts and a lot of wiping down over  the course of a few months.  Gibson Polish, Virtuoso, nope.  

21 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Wipe the neck with a little bit of Naptha (lighter fluid) and then polish.

For the body I'd just use a damp cloth to wipe it down and then polish.

I would not recommend lighter fluid due to it being a known carcinogen, even when exposed to skin. I know it seems to be a thing in the guitar world (for some reason), but it's definitely not the best of ideas considering all the other options. 

For me, I just use a cotton cloth and some elbow grease. Although, the best remedy is to buy new and wipe the guitar down after every play lol.

I would remove all strings if it were mine.. and:

Wet rag. Dry. Repeat.

Wet rag. Diluted Dawn solution. Dry. Repeat.

Virtuoso cleaner and polish

Leave out on a stand for a month… humidity permitting.

leave out in the yard on a windy day.

leave out is the sun (not hot sun which would mess with the glue and bracing)

buy a Martin 15 series case for it. One of the nicest smells ever.

leave the other case out  and open… wind… sun… baking soda.

27 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

buy a Martin 15 series case for it. One of the nicest smells ever.

Sal are the cases that 15 series guitars come in different from others. I currently own a ‘17 D-15M. I have 3 Geib cases (plywood and tolex) and 3 thermoplastic cases. 
I prefer the plastic ones. They are lighter and stickers stick better on them. My newer used guitars still have that vanilla-ish, once again a good guitar describing word, smell, but both style cases inside have no smell.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Sarge my Martin Geib 3 latch simple case STILL has that vanilla/mahogany aroma  after 13 years.

I dont know if Martin still does it, but their 15 series cases used to get a spraying of NGD Nilla Ecstasy. It's a nice smell.

For what its worth I also am in the minority about liking the 640 Thermo cases. Light and easy.

What I wish? All my Gibsons and Martins had "branded" Hiscox Pro II cases. Simply the best.

Edited by Salfromchatham

OP,  I have a half dozen or so  guitars, the newest being thirty, year old  the finish on these guitars look as nice as any newer guitar ( maybe not brand new ) 

they have been used so their are dings and bumps ( normal wear ) and they have never had wax applied on them.  I always wiped them down after 

using ( most important ) and when I cleaned them I used a damp cloth with warm water, and if their is a dirty spot or area I use and very small drop(s) of Naphtha.

this it and not more.  My guitars finish look as good as any of the other folks I jam and play together with, period. Im not suggesting anyone do the

same, but it works without applying all that waxes and stuff that builds up in the finish over years.  Again Im not suggesting anyone do the same

because I don't want anyone here throwing rocks at me or imforming me I mentally health. FWIW

Sal, my three go to guitars live in Hiscox Pro II for the money Ive not been able to come across a better all around case.

Ive not travel a lot in the last two years, but they have travelled internationally several times a years before that and it sure is nice 

knowing I dont have to worry about may guitars,  without spending 1200.00  USD's on a case. Im really happy with them.

1 hour ago, ratherbwalkn said:

OP,  I have a half dozen or so  guitars, the newest being thirty, year old  the finish on these guitars look as nice as any newer guitar ( maybe not brand new ) 

they have been used so their are dings and bumps ( normal wear ) and they have never had wax applied on them.  I always wiped them down after 

using ( most important ) and when I cleaned them I used a damp cloth with warm water, and if their is a dirty spot or area I use and very small drop(s) of Naphtha.

this it and not more.  My guitars finish look as good as any of the other folks I jam and play together with, period. Im not suggesting anyone do the

same, but it works without applying all that waxes and stuff that builds up in the finish over years.  Again Im not suggesting anyone do the same

because I don't want anyone here throwing rocks at me or imforming me I mentally health. FWIW

With all due respect, I think most people have the same approach to how they care for their guitars with MINIMAL attention paid where they don't baby them but they don't abuse them. 

However, OP was looking for suggestions to alleviate a sticky finish. 

• Like 1

At one point I had a Jumbo Hiscox Pro II which was perfect for the J200, Calton dread which covered the Gibson jumbo and square shoulder and Martin dread, and a Classical Hiscox Pro II that covered the L00 and LG. That pretty much covered my guitars if they left the house.

The Calton was heavy as a tank and I wasn't happy with the aluminum rim around the edge of the Hiscox.

I bought the largest Hoffee case with inserts that cover everything from my L5 to the L00/LG size. I sold the Calton which covered most of the cost of the Hoffee.

I still need to sell the two Hiscox. The only guitar that does not fit is the Super 400

On cleaning I use a Fender mist spray that works and if it takes more, I use naphtha. I've never had issues with it. 

Edited by Dave F

Just last week I asked Gibson Customer Service for best way to clean my 2020 Historic 1957 SJ-200 with thin VOS finish,  this is their reply,

Hi,

For the VOS finish, we recommend using a dry or lightly damped 100% cotton cloth only and no cleaning solutions or polish, as the finish can become shiny and take away from the vintage look. Thanks!

Jon

Consumer Service

Gibson Brands, Inc.

1-800-4GIBSON

www.gibson.com

My suggestion is to call McGuiars Auto Polish and ask them which of their polishes are recommended for nitro cellulite finish guitars.  And, then order it Amazon.    I did that years ago after using a piano polish private labeled by McGuiars for a music manufacturer, when it ran empty.  I can’’t remember the McGuiars numeric designation offhand, but I stocked up and use it regularly on some guitars.

However, during the past year when a bunch of sweat and gook penetrated one of my satin finish guitars, after playing outdoor gigs with it…I set out to find something that not only cleaned the sweat and gook that had penetrated the guitar’s top wood from it being a satin finish, but to also waterproof/repel future sweat and gook.  The thing (and it was the only thing I found) that removed the penetrated sweat and food was plain old soybean oil marketed as cooking vegetable oil.   It drew the sweat and gook out of the wood as it repelled it out and left the top waterproofed from its residue.    And, all naturally.   I did a lot of research on how it works on wood before trying it.  What I do now to that satin finish guitar is every month or two cover the top and sides and neck with a bit of vegetable oil, let it soak into the wood for about an hour and then thoroughly wipe it off. The guitar is cleaned great, the wood got a dose of oils to absorb and repel future sweat moisture if needed for awhile.  I have not tried it,though on any of my nitrocellulose finish guitars as those, unlike satin finishes, already have something sealing them by the nature of their nitro finishes.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark