Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J200

charper

Hello fellow Gibson enthusiasts. 

I am thinking about purchasing a J200. I would prefer a sunburst with Maple back........ I don't mind purchasing new or used depending on cost. 

My question is, where would be a good place to look for this type of a guitar and what would be a reasonable expectation for price in todays current market?

Thank you for all advice/information. 

Peace,

Chris

+1 on a Reverb feed.  Also Sweetwater is, I feel, the best online site to buy an acoustic guitar. They will occasionally have Demos that they sell for a mild discount. The demos are typically new guitars that have been played in their store's showroom.

Many of the big box stores such as Sweetwater while usually carrying a good selection will still likely have them on back order other than maybe the G series.  Even Wildwood's shelves are pretty sparse when it comes to J200s.   The advantage of Reverb is the guitar will be in stock.  We live about 2 1/2 hours from Sweetwater.  Someday I might just work up enough interest to take a short road trip out there.  

Edited by zombywoof

Zombie you live that close & haven’t been there?

I’ve been buying from my same Rep for over 10 years.. Always the best Service, Product & Deal.. Plus an extra 2 year Warranty… 

I’ve had a Gibson J200 on Order for about 3 months… Still waiting..

You see them pop up on the AGF classifieds from time to time. Most people want near retail these days, though.

There's supposedly one Original Standard on the Music Villa site. They were a class act with my Dove last year.  https://musicvilla.com/collections/gibson-acoustics/products/gibson-j200-maple-vs-1129

I had assumed the supplies would be increasing by now, what with the doubling of the Bozeman factory.

11 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Zombie you live that close & haven’t been there?

I’ve been buying from my same Rep for over 10 years.. Always the best Service, Product & Deal.. Plus an extra 2 year Warranty… 

I’ve had a Gibson J200 on Order for about 3 months… Still waiting..

The only time I was tempted to make a trip to Sweetwater was back when they had that Jackson Browne Signature in stock.  But I am also pretty well covered when it comes to guitar selection locally.  We have Woodsy's Music 20 minutes down the road which is a mini-Sweetwater in that they carry the same type of guitars just not near as many.   In 1994 my wife bought her Gibson J100 XTRA from them and four or five years back her Martin D12-28.  Twenty minutes in the opposite direction I have Lay's Guitar Repair which sells instruments on the second floor.    Last time I was there I got to play a Larson Brothers, a 1957 Gibson J50, and an Epiphone Howard Roberts Standard as well as a nice selection of Huss & Daltons, Bedells, and such.  But as I said, I do feel a road trip to Sweetwater coming on once the weather improves. 

Edited by zombywoof

On 2/10/2022 at 11:50 AM, charper said:

Hello fellow Gibson enthusiasts. 

I am thinking about purchasing a J200. I would prefer a sunburst with Maple back........ I don't mind purchasing new or used depending on cost. 

My question is, where would be a good place to look for this type of a guitar and what would be a reasonable expectation for price in todays current market?

Thank you for all advice/information. 

Peace,

Chris

Chris,  Welcome !    If I were me, I'd seriously keep the door open for a Natural equally.  Sunburst might be the more traditional image of "The King of the Flattops"  (maybe because the King of R&R played one),   but the combination of a suntanned spruce face on the lighter colored  maple quilt or flames  - creates a stunning visual piece of eye candy.    (Full Disclosure:  I have one.)

Added:   Slim Pickens -  I couldn't find any used on Guitar Center's website this am.  Use to be there'd be 4 or 5.   "Pre-Pandemic"

Edited by fortyearspickn

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

but the combination of a suntanned spruce face on the lighter colored  maple quilt or flames  - creates a stunning visual piece of eye candy.    (Full Disclosure:  I have one.)

Completely agree. I don't have a J-200, but I do have a J-185 custom quilt with a natural top. I think it's the most beautiful thing ever made with wood.

the one in my Avatar was ordered from Sweetwater in 2016  (way before all this crazy supply line stuff was going on).

no regrets..  it's awesome.

looks like the going ask new for a standard is around $4,999

Gibson Acoustic SJ-200 Original - Vintage Sunburst | Sweetwater

Edited by kidblast

I have a 2020 Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst.

I was comparing it against the SJ-200 Original the other day.

H7uH0Rqh.jpg

Not a huge difference - the Historic has a 'Thermally Aged' top, bone bridge pins, hide glue construction, casted pickguard , thin VOS finish and period correct hard case.

The Original has a UST pick up system.

$1200 difference - whilst I'm super happy with my guitar I think the similar looking Original might just be the sweet spot in the model line up.

lGP7Iqgh.jpg

26 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

I have a 2020 Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst.

I was comparing it against the SJ-200 Original the other day.

H7uH0Rqh.jpg

Not a huge difference - the Historic has a 'Thermally Aged' top, bone bridge pins, hide glue construction, casted pickguard , thin VOS finish and period correct hard case.

The Original has a UST pick up system.

$1200 difference - whilst I'm super happy with my guitar I think the similar looking Original might just be the sweet spot in the model line up.

lGP7Iqgh.jpg

I dunno.....  the baked top thing and that finish sure is is nice. I've got three Gibson baked tops and even the one I despised when I got it is starting to make the grade. There is something special about them.

That said, I really dig the Original going with bone nut & Saddle and the 4 piece bridge inlay. There is a LOT to like.

11 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I dunno.....  the baked top thing and that finish sure is is nice. I've got three Gibson baked tops and even the one I despised when I got it is starting to make the grade. There is something special about them.

That said, I really dig the Original going with bone nut & Saddle and the 4 piece bridge inlay. There is a LOT to like.

.. and the keystone tuners and truss rod cover with the wide white border - visually it's hard to distinguish from my Historic 1957.

lAoyU2Zl.jpgfg5Z5Yfl.jpg

You can see the UST controls in the sound hole of the Original (left)

On 2/13/2022 at 7:42 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Chris,  Welcome !    If I were me, I'd seriously keep the door open for a Natural equally.  Sunburst might be the more traditional image of "The King of the Flattops"  (maybe because the King of R&R played one),   but the combination of a suntanned spruce face on the lighter colored  maple quilt or flames  - creates a stunning visual piece of eye candy.    (Full Disclosure:  I have one.)

Added:   Slim Pickens -  I couldn't find any used on Guitar Center's website this am.  Use to be there'd be 4 or 5.   "Pre-Pandemic"

I totally agree.... I LOVE the naturals and I think I may actually be leaning that direction. 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:11 AM, Kwlsky said:

+1 on a Reverb feed.  Also Sweetwater is, I feel, the best online site to buy an acoustic guitar. They will occasionally have Demos that they sell for a mild discount. The demos are typically new guitars that have been played in their store's showroom.

Dont disregard reaching out to some of the popular and reputable retailers that have a significant presence online...a simple email or phone call to shops like Wildwood, Music Villa, Alamo Music, etc. (there's many more as well), may get you an offer quite a bit better than Sweetwater. Nothing against Sweetwater at all, just throwing it out there. I sent out feelers when I recently picked up my Epiphone USA Frontier and was quoted a VERY good price and had three to chose from and they made me videos with sound clips of the three Frontiers they had in stock. 

41 minutes ago, sbpark said:

Dont disregard reaching out to some of the popular and reputable retailers that have a significant presence online...a simple email or phone call to shops like Wildwood, Music Villa, Alamo Music, etc. (there's many more as well), may get you an offer quite a bit better than Sweetwater. Nothing against Sweetwater at all, just throwing it out there. I sent out feelers when I recently picked up my Epiphone USA Frontier and was quoted a VERY good price and had three to chose from and they made me videos with sound clips of the three Frontiers they had in stock. 

yea, this is kind of right.

Sweetwater, while they have outstanding customer service, they don't typically work with you on discounts.

What my experience with those guys, and I use them ALL the time, most of the time. The price, is The price

On 2/13/2022 at 5:42 AM, fortyearspickn said:

The first time I saw the King of Rock N Roll play a J-200 was when I was a little kid & saw this movie…. “King Creole” the next one was “Loving You”……..

Edited by Larsongs