Gibson Brands Forums

R8 2008 / R8 2014 / R8 2018

Atheryl

Hi,

I have made all the possible research, legacy website of Gibson, YouTube and many forum. I can't find a simple comparison between the three model.
 I am interested to buy a R8, price is not a factor. I only want to understand what I am buying and feel comfortable doing so. I have the opportunity for the three models. 2008 being the cheapest but near the 2014, 2018 being brand new and more expensive.

Could anyone point the major difference between the years?

As I understand 2008 will have different Glue used, 2014 will have better flaming.
 Beyond that the plastic are different on the 2018.

So basically ... is newer better? (The 2018 is by FAR the worst wood looking I've seen, on the model available big disappointment).

Thank you so much for your time,

PS: I am in Thailand, so very little choice.

3 hours ago, Atheryl said:

Hi,

I have made all the possible research, legacy website of Gibson, YouTube and many forum. I can't find a simple comparison between the three model.
 I am interested to buy a R8, price is not a factor. I only want to understand what I am buying and feel comfortable doing so. I have the opportunity for the three models. 2008 being the cheapest but near the 2014, 2018 being brand new and more expensive.

Could anyone point the major difference between the years?

As I understand 2008 will have different Glue used, 2014 will have better flaming.
 Beyond that the plastic are different on the 2018.

So basically ... is newer better? (The 2018 is by FAR the worst wood looking I've seen, on the model available big disappointment).

Thank you so much for your time,

PS: I am in Thailand, so very little choice.

Newer can or maybe not mean better. Better is what you need to decide if you can hold all 3 in your hands. Any guitarist worth his salt know the tone is in the plastic.

Been to Thailand twice. Two of the best port calls I ever had.

8 hours ago, Atheryl said:

Thanks for the answer.
I think my point was about overall material quality. Or specifications that I may have missed.

Indeed the three guitars will be played and tried.

IME, Custom Shop Gibsons are the best Gibson can make.  Granted there are always anomalies...  Overall, I wouldn't worry about it so much.  As @Sgt. Pepper said, best to put them in your hands to try them out to make a call.  Hopefully you have return windows on them if you have to purchase first...  But you should know what guitar is the best once you take some time with each one. 

Do note that R8s are supposed to have baseball bat necks with tall skinny frets - like an R7 with a burst cap essentially.  Once you go to an R9, you get bit of a slimmer neck profile and smaller frets.  This is general stuff here.  I've seen some R8s that have flamed caps that could pass for an R9.  And I've seen R9s with plain tops.  Gibson...  All over the map, hence why you want to try out as best you can before pulling the trigger for good.  My advice is to be happy with what you get, the price won't matter so much. 

Not sure about the Custombuckers when they started to go into the Historics...  They are the best pickups Gibson makes IMHO - these and 57s.  The 2018 will probably have these in them.  Not sure about the 2014.  I would like to say the 2008 has 57s...  My 2003 R7 Custom (Black Beauty) has these. 

23 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

an R7 with a burst cap essentially.  Once you go to an R9, you get bit of a slimmer neck profile and smaller frets.  This is general stuff here.  I've seen some R8s that have flamed caps

I think I prefer the burst                                                                      (couldn't resist - sorry!)

th?id=OIF.KAY0y%252fTktVPjs%252fLWa6HwJg

th?id=OIP.XEeWDx5GAOs3fw1eT185bwHaFj%26p

• 1 month later...