Gibson Brands Forums

Slash custom C neck profile?

Pinch

The current Gibson Slash LP's list it as a 50s Vintage neck and mentions in the text "Slash’s personal touches, including a C-shape neck profile" which I would think its a thicker neck.

The Epiphone Slash LP's mention a Slash Custom C-Shape which could be thinner, maybe.. 2  of my Epiphones have different C- shape necks that are considerably thinner that the 50's style.

The only way to know for sure is to find someone that actually has one.

5 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The current Gibson Slash LP's list it as a 50s Vintage neck and mentions in the text "Slash’s personal touches, including a C-shape neck profile" which I would think its a thicker neck.

The Epiphone Slash LP's mention a Slash Custom C-Shape which could be thinner, maybe.. 2  of my Epiphones have different C- shape necks that are considerably thinner that the 50's style.

The only way to know for sure is to find someone that actually has one.

Mm. The Andertons video said between a 59 and a 60s neck! So who knows!

3 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Mm. The Andertons video said between a 59 and a 60s neck! So who knows!

I also have an Epiphone 56 Standard that has a 50's style C-shape neck that is definitely Fat.. But since Slash's LP's are kind of custom spec it would be hard to say what they are without holding one in hands...

3 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

@Pinch what's your preference for neck profile?  Have you ever held an R7 before to understand how much of a baseball bat it really is?  The R9 I believe is my favorite - not too skinny, not too fat.  As for a 60s, I have a 68RI and it's not too thin, but rather feels slightly thinner than my R9. 

My 60s Std is good, The 60s Tributes are listed as the same neck profile, but they're thinner.  So... yeah. I could handle a little thicker than the 60s Std, but not the current 50s Std.

I would say its gonna be a fairly fat neck.. I have tried a few of his sig models and they have all had bigger necks than I like. BUT in saying that I am a big fan of slimmer necks, so maybe to someone else it wouldnt be so bad...  Its a shame as I am a huge fan of his and would love one of his sig models.

@Pinch I like my R7's baseball bat neck - and it is noticeably fat comparatively to others we've discussed here.  I can play everything on it just fine - and you don't need large hands to find it comfortable.  I also can deal with very slim neck profiles too...  but when I have a LP in my hands, I don't want it to be Jackson Soloist thin.  As I said, R9 is my favorite - at least the profile on mine. 

• Like 1

OK Pinch, here's my take on it.  I just played a bit on the Gibson and Epiphone LP's I have.  Without measuring anything, my impressions of playing them follows:            1998 Gibson LP  Standard  has the thickest feeling neck                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            2021 Epiphone Slash is slightly thinner than the Gibson above, but you can feel the difference                                                                                                                                                              1996 Gibson Classic is thinner than both above.  Its has a 60's style thin neck                                                                                                                                                                                                   2019 Epiphone Peter Frampton Les Paul is very similar to the Gibson Classic                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Hope this put it in perspective for you

Edited by CNJ

3 minutes ago, CNJ said:

OK Pinch, here's my take on it.  I just played a bit on the Gibson and Epiphone LP's I have.  Without measuring anything, my impressions of playing them follows:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             1998 Gibson LP  Standard  has the thickest feeling neck                                                                                                                                                                                                                                2021 Epiphone Slash is slightly thinner than the Gibson above, but you can feel the difference                                                                                                                                          1996 Gibson Classic is thinner than both above.  Its has a 60's style thin neck                                                                                                                                                                                 2019 Epiphone Peter Frampton Les Paul is very similar to the Gibson Classic                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Hope this put it in perspective for you

Thank you!

Btw, welcome to the forum. It's a great corner of the net.