Gibson Brands Forums

Identifying My Gibson ES-335

tourguide

Hello, I have an Es-335 that I have had for about 8 or so years now. I want to sell it but I can't for the life of me figure out exactly which model it is. The price differences are huge depending on the model and I don't want to undersell it and screw myself. But I don't want to significantly oversell it either. Can anyone tell me exactly which one this is? And perhaps a ballpark of worth? The lighting is a  bit weird in these photos, it's not as bad as it may look. There are a few minor dings and such but nothing crazy no real damage, It has sat in storage most of it's life. I lost the case in a bad flood so all that's left is the guitar itself. I might consider buying a new case for it if it's worth it but I just can't seem to get any information on this thing at all anywhere I look. I've called local guitar stores and everything and no one seems to care enough to even help out with it. I purchased it at a guitar center brand new so I know it's real and it was very expensive. Thanks in advance for any help I can get. Really seem to have nowhere else to turn on this thing. 

68daf6cca6df0bb62eb3ceb1dfa9cb32.jpg
d8a7b670fdc9de938727305c7007031d.jpg
2941450ef7ef9b033dc1a70093f00e09.jpg
1e7209739fe537d56611c632757e3df9.jpg
9b284e525bac5b2885fe7c797dde6b85.jpg
f548e8b4a1c9981dd267f56f8bc9510c.jpg

5 hours ago, rct said:

It's a 2014, 2014 model, Dot.  Reverb has them in the 3 grand range in cases.  You know what you paid for it, expect to get 75% or so of that figure if you sell outright, little less if you trade.

rct

Thank you for the help, that does narrow it down for me. I don't know a whole lot about this guitar and have been rather disappointed by it. I rarely play it but like I said it's been a fairly long time, college and many moves across the country later, I don't remember exactly what I payed for it but I know it was very high. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Who installed those tuners, a drunk monkey?

Those are factory installed tuners from Gibson. So I guess drunk monkeys work there? The guitar hasn't been modified in any way it's bone stock. 

That 335 was also when Gibson decided to stain the inside where the F-holes are. I like to see natural wood, but that is just me.

I think the 335's are the best guitars Gibson ever made. I would take one over any thing Gibson makes, and definitely over a LP any day of the week. I've owed a BB King and a ES-335 and 4 LP's. SG's are great to and would take one of those over a LP as well. Owned 4 SG's as well.

Here is the one I owned:

d6QWM92.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I once sat in Sam Ash and played a 335 for a few minutes because Mrs asked why I never use them.  I showed her that I look like a leprechaun behind one, like I'm in some medieval sword fight with my giant shield.  Looks like a trash can lid in front of me.  She agreed.  The important part is that that's what it feels like to me.  So yeah, no. 

rct

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rct said:

I once sat in Sam Ash and played a 335 for a few minutes because Mrs asked why I never use them.  I showed her that I look like a leprechaun behind one, like I'm in some medieval sword fight with my giant shield.  Looks like a trash can lid in front of me.  She agreed.  The important part is that that's what it feels like to me.  So yeah, no. 

rct

Took me awhile to get used to the size. I’m 5’9” with small hand and I managed. 

17 hours ago, rct said:

rct

I suppose I ID 335s as a 'sit down' to play guitar for this reason. I find it hard to imagine gigging one. Its probably why I have not played one before now (They had none at Andertons when I asked last month). The Heritage 530 is he same size though and I found that easy enough (still seated though). 

Thinking about it now, its probably the reason I opted for a 339. 

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I suppose I ID 335s as a 'sit down' to play guitar for this reason. I find it hard to imagine gigging one. Its probably why I have not played one before now (They had none at Andertons when I asked last month). The Heritage 530 is he same size though and I found that easy enough (still seated though). 

Thinking about it now, its probably the reason I opted for a 339. 

I have played a few 339s and I like them.  I remember long time ago a 336, and I think that was smaller.  I wanted it.

rct

2 hours ago, rct said:

I have played a few 339s and I like them.  I remember long time ago a 336, and I think that was smaller.  I wanted it.

rct

If you want one in that shape and don't want Gibson on the headstock get a Heritage. My buddy has the 335 size one and its top notch. He told me it would be the one guitar he runs in the house to grab if on fire. In the other hand he would grab his Fender P Bass.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you want one in that shape and don't want Gibson on the headstock get a Heritage. My buddy has the 335 size one and its top notch. He told me it would be the one guitar he runs in the house to grab if on fire. In the other hand he would grab his Fender P Bass.

Oh thanks.  Heritage and that shape both just not for me.  Heritage has some bad rep for a few things.  I know, that may be old stuff, but it sticks with you.

rct

35 minutes ago, rct said:

Oh thanks.  Heritage and that shape both just not for me.  Heritage has some bad rep for a few things.  I know, that may be old stuff, but it sticks with you.

rct

I hear ya. All I know is I played my buddies in Mobile, several months back when I visited him. It had SD '59 something or others in it, and was on par with the 335 and King I once owned. I think it was only a few years old. But like the Martin thing. Until I get one of the "bad" ones people talk about, I'm sticking with them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper