Gibson Brands Forums

Why do the Brits out rock us?

Homz

First I have a question. Is Brits an acceptable word? I hope it's not offensive. I know as an American there are some who would actually find it offensive to be called Yanks.

OK on to my point:

How is it that this tiny island nation kicks the *** of the world when it comes to rock. Out of my 10 favorite bands/artists 9 of them are Brits and the 10th (Hendrix) got his start in the UK? Keeping in mind most of them credit their musical roots to be black Southern American Blues artists, how is it that we Americans just have never made the grade. Now don't get me wrong we do have some awesome musicians, but do a quick survey in your mind and at the very least you will find a list heavy with the Brits. Especially if your list is weighted properly, given the over all population totals. Assuming your a classic rock fan, of coarse. Perhaps, you may say, it is a result of the hardships of the Brits, but I don't think this is a good argument given the equally impoverished inner cities of the U.S. or other industrialized nations of the West. One might argue the roots of the guitar are European and thus generations of Brits had a leg up on the States,but again here we are talking modern music and the electric guitar is or rather was an American creation.

So what's that leave us with? I don't know the answer, but suffice to say thank you tiny island nation. Thank you for kicking our *** and rocking us for generations. BTW Jimmy Page is god.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This question first came to my mind about 9 years ago while on a trip to Southeast Asia (Vietnam). I was sitting in the New World Hotel Saigon's lounge having a drink with assorted business travelers. Most of them were from Japan, South Korea, and Singapore. The music was all Western. My first thought was 'I wonder why the only music played was American'. It then dawned on me, it wasn't American it was British. I then pondered why I would have even considered it American at all. I thought how strange I considered it to be my music.

BTW the South Koreans love the Karaoke, and they're good.

I spent a year there Roger' date=' some really talented people over there if you can get past the smell of Kimshe through out the entire country[/quote']

Rotten cabbage, yuck.

I had a great time with the South Koreans and Sinaporeians. Those dudes know how to party. The Japanese weren't nearly as much fun. Even many of the Vietnamese didn't care to much for the Japanese. I'm sure this is just an over exercised gross generalization and founded in wrong sterotypes, but it is an observation I made. Probably a cultural conflict not so much a realistic point.

BTW the hotel had a rock band playing on my first trip to Vietnam. It was our Independence day week and they were celebrating the American holiday. This to promote Vietnam/ America trade and spark a business relationship.

Really now so Ozzy' date=' Sabbath and Judas Priest are what then?[/quote']

What? I had my little whistly face up :- And Ozzy hasn't had a British Guitar Player since Sabbath. I'm watching Whitesnake from 2006 and you'll never guess who's in his Dave Coverdales band. Doug Aldrich, Reb Beach, Tommy Aldridge, Timothy Drury, and Marco Mendoza. All U.S. Born. Same with Ozzy's most famous line up Rhodes, Sarzo, and Aldridge. Except Sarzo, who was born in Cuba.

Of course Maiden, and Priest hold the highest offices in Metal, But most of the Heaviest and Best Metal comes from The U.S.A. Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Suicidal, Guns n Roses, the best newer stuff too, like Evanescence and Nickleback.

This question first came to my mind about 9 years ago while on a trip to Southeast Asia (Vietnam). I was sitting in the New World Hotel Saigon's lounge having a drink with assorted business travelers. Most of them were from Japan' date=' South Korea, and Singapore. The music was all Western. My first thought was 'I wonder why the only music played was American'. It then dawned on me, it wasn't American it was British. I then pondered why I would have even considered it American at all. I thought how strange I considered it to be my music.

[/quote']

Because it is American Music. It all started with our Blues, Country, and Swing melting together. Ask any British act from the 60's who influenced them. Elvis, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Bo Didley. Even John Mayall was into American Blues. Britan just has a more Open Minded record industry and always has, so their people hear more new stuff, and it gets around faster. Europe has always had a more Open Minded aproach to Music.

You need to be in the UK for a while to feel the vibe.

Its so different from what we are used to here in North America.

I find people over there more passionate. I also find them much more approachable and friendly then

over here. The pace is much slower too....Here in NA everything moves so fast. There, it seems folks take their

time and enjoy themselves more.

Im sure this reflects in the music from bands being put together in the UK.

There are great bands from all over the world, but I agree there is something about Britain!

Dont forget along with The Beatles, Zep, Priest, Ozzy etc...

They also brought us the Pet Shop Boys!!

No ones perfect mate! lol

I love Britain, I miss her alot sometimes.

Ode to Canada. Yes, I also think it odd the Canadians are held to such a high position in the lower 48 and beyond. You dudes rock.

Yet another observation from the international traveler that is I.... Even as stated, our neighbors to the North know how to rock, I found it rather odd on my last trip to Cheetahs (Just across the border in Windsor, Ontario). The music the DJ played was unrecognizable to me. It was like the 'B' sides of all my favorite bands. I only recognized about every 8th or 9th song. This could have been just a red herring. I wasn't exactly there to listen to the music. If you know Cheetah's you know why.

Because it is American Music. It all started with our Blues' date=' Country, and Swing melting together. Ask any British act from the 60's who influenced them. Elvis, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Bo Didley. Even John Mayall was into American Blues. Britan just has a more Open Minded record industry and always has, so their people hear more new stuff, and it gets around faster. Europe has always had a more Open Minded aproach to Music.[/quote'] Hold on a sec, Evanesence and Nickelback are some of the best newer stuff? Are we listening to the same Evanesence and Nickelback?

Hold on a sec' date=' Evanesence and Nickelback are some of the best newer stuff? Are we listening to the same Evanesence and Nickelback?[/quote']

Yeah, EV Kicks Buns. I don't really like Nickleback, but they have good Riffs and Nice Tone for a newer band, and while some would say they're not Metal, I hear Metal in the mix

Amy Lee is just an amazing Musician, Vocalsit, and Pretty Darn Good songwriter (And I think she's HOT). She has yet to plane out.

I agree with firstmeasure on this one. Priest, Maiden, and Sabbath started metal but the US has kept it alive for awhile now. If it wasnt for US metal bands like Megadeth, Metallica, and Pantera I would have never researched bands like Maiden, Priest, and Sabbath.

Did anyone on the Homz mailing list get the songs I sent? I'm not sure if they're getting out.

I got the last 2 you sent but the first 3 you sent i could not be able to open for some reason...awsome songs btw!

For some reason, they just "get it". Hendrix had to go to England to get things going. They were into American blues when we

weren't. In the 70s, England had the big three. The Who, The Stones, and Zeppelin. We had Grand Funk.

Archived