Gibson Brands Forums

Can you get more sustain from a chunkier neck?

opaz

Here’s the guy that did the video I saw that I mentioned doing a Telecaster type thing with a fence post to explore “tone woods” haha! He’s reviewing the first video @Larsongs posted for us in this thread which I liked BTW.

Here’s my conclusion of it all… Quite a mythical instrument the guitar and what we believe about it makes it sound better, more sustain, whatever… 

• Like 1

My guitar with the best sustain is my Slash Les Paul Standard, which has the thick 50's style neck and no weight relief. That said, I've seen enough variation in guitars that I'd never make the assumption that a heavier guitar will automatically have more sustain than a lighter one. There may be "some" correlation but I think there are probably too many other variables at play.

Thank you all for your input on this thread. I've learned a lot. Mainly that there is no right or wrong answer to the question.

PS - to all the  posters whose answer to all these type of questions  is - the only way to know is to try the guitar - do you think if we had the opportunity to do so, we wouldn't?

We know there is a lot of hype!

At some point you got to play the dang thing to know if you like the Sound.. Whether you buy it Online or try it in a Store or whatever…

If you like it you can make up your own hype as to why your Guitar is the greatest, has the best Tone & has the most sustain! LOL!

Edited by Larsongs