Gibson Brands Forums

Slot Head

Sgt. Pepper

I think and feel the slotted head is for intellectuals and sissys who sing difficult lyrics fx with political or historical content. It's the headstocks you find in school classes.                                                                                                     The massive flat head with the tuners sticking out is clearly cooler. It's has a snappier expression and simply rocks. A much sexier thing. 

Many times through the history men with slotted headstocks sang in vain before the listening girls. While the guys with the massives often took them home after a few tunes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

I think and feel the slotted head is for intellectuals and sissys who sing difficult lyrics fx with political or historical content. It's the headstocks you find in school classes.                                                                                                     The massive flat head with the tuners sticking out is clearly cooler. It's has a snappier expression and simply rocks. A much sexier thing. 

Many times through the history men with slotted headstocks sang in vain before the listening girls. While the guys with the massives often took them home after a few tunes.

Steady there, big fella- did we wake up on the wrong side of the volière? It's not like they're playing Doves, or . . .heavens forbid-  Donovan. Yes, these days, it is a bit of an odd look- just like some might think a 12 fret J-45 looks strange with less of the soundhole located in the upper bout, as it, and the bridge, are sunken down more into the lower bout. 

The slot head guitars were seen in many groups of the folk revival scene. Intellectual? Well, certainly nurtured on college campuses. Extra credit if you had a goatee. How well you did with the ladies also had to do with where you applied that serenade.

15 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Steady there, big fella- did we wake up on the wrong side of the volière? It's not like they're playing Doves, or . . .heavens forbid-  Donovan. Yes, these days, it is a bit of an odd look- just like some might think a 12 fret J-45 looks strange with less of the soundhole located in the upper bout, as it, and the bridge, are sunken down more into the lower bout. 

The slot head guitars were seen in many groups of the folk revival scene. Intellectual? Well, certainly nurtured on college campuses. Extra credit if you had a goatee. How well you did with the ladies also had to do with where you applied that serenade.

It was a joke, Burst - a parody. But there's definitely something to it. 

Edited by E-minor7

Em's  prose clearly funny.: Poked fun, not only at  slot heads, but cork sniffers.

I thought the 'conventional wisdom' here for years was that if you could find tuners that weighed  0.1 ounce less than the stock ones that came with your $4K guitar?    I've had 2 slot heads, albeit catgut, and didn't realize it was harder to change the strings until now.  Could have been because the first was the first I changed strings on and was more concerned with wrapping the bitter end around the hole in the bridge.     

Maybe we need to weigh a slot head  and compare it to a not-a-slot  to see if the difference is more than the variation in tuners?   

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Doesn't scale length determine the tension required to tune to concert pitch. Gibson at 24.75 needs less tension than a Martin at 25.4. 

How does the break angle of a slothead increase tension from the nut to the saddle?

Yes, scale length is part of the formula.

Those who are looking for any sonic benefits of the slot head will want to say that the greater break angle that the string makes as it runs north of the nut and goes down into the slotted headstock might yield some increased dynamics.

4 hours ago, 62burst said:

Yes, scale length is part of the formula.

Those who are looking for any sonic benefits of the slot head will want to say that the greater break angle that the string makes as it runs north of the nut and goes down into the slotted headstock might yield some increased dynamics.

It's pretty much the same principle as having a good break angle at the saddle, but it seems to me that having a strong compressive coupling on the soundboard would be more important.

Of my four acoustic guitars, only one, a Washburn R320SWR has a slotted head, which is equipped with three-on-a plate open tuners.

Other than looking different from the headstocks on the other three, I find no significant advantages or disadvantages from the slotted design, including when string changing.

RBSinTo

I have about 50 Gibsons and 50 Martins (1893-1969).  I have no slot head Gibsons: 17 Martins. 

EG:

1967, 1968, 1968, 1968, 1995 -- My late wife loved these things for her 60s folk revival stuff

ZGPICZD.jpg

She later went over to the dark side and played bluegrass

Best,

-Tom

7 hours ago, tpbiii said:

I have about 50 Gibsons and 50 Martins (1893-1969).  I have no slot head Gibsons: 17 Martins. 

EG:

1967, 1968, 1968, 1968, 1995 -- My late wife loved these things for her 60s folk revival stuff

ZGPICZD.jpg

She later went over to the dark side and played bluegrass

Best,

-Tom

Those  Bluegrasser’s can pick though. Bluegrass for me is like the Shredders, after about 3 songs it just all blends together and sounds similar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

37 minutes ago, kidblast said:

think about this.. 

a 12 string with a slotted headstock!

there's some pure torture right there.

If you look in tpbiii's post there is a slot 12'er. That's a day of fun right there. I dread, get it, when I have to change strings on my 12'er.

When I change strings on the 12'er, I usually just get the strings close to in tune and put it away and let the strings stretch over night, then revisit it the next day.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1