Gibson Brands Forums

I am going to sell off my guitars in shame

SteveFord

58 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I don't know if it loaded correctly, if you see a square full of things to click on you want the top left, Tina S Cover

Anyone who took Music Appreciation know Mozart was the shredding classical composer. I think Beethoven is a technically a Romantic Composer.

@SteveFord, Ahh the moonlight sonata… I played that on the piano - all 3 movements. Took quite a while as you might imagine but like anything practice makes perfect. I don’t make YT videos though and my day job is software engineer - unfortunately. People today just don’t appreciate musical talent or even the technical abilities of composers all the way back to the baroque era. 

Beethoven is sort of a composer that is half classical, half romantic era. He had great disdain for his contemporaries such as Hayden and Mozart. But as I have said before, I am a huge Chopin guy. Oddly enough, I believe he was claimed to have disdain for Beethoven… but had deep appreciation for JS Bach. JS Bach just listen to some of his works… 

I like Stravinsky - La Sacre Du Printemps. I bought a lot of what I will just lump in as Orchestral Music,  after I took a Music Appreciation course in college. Yes I learned Bach was Baroque, and Mozart was Classical, and Beethoven was Romantic, and Stravinsky is considered a 20th Century Composer. 

One thing rings true. Good music is good music no matter who wrote it, or what year it came from, except U2. They suck and make c-rap no matter when they put it out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I worried about competing with every single person in all that I did, I would have nothing. I've seen small kids play better than me. Then again, my great nephew has been playing guitar now since 2019 from a teacher at Guitar Center and my sisters daughter posts the results on facebook all the time.  Deb shows them to me and I wonder why he is still trying? 

Falls under the category, "Never teach a pig to sing, it both waists your time and annoys the pig." lol

Just for the record Steve, I have seriously thought about reducing down to maybe 3 guitars. Maybe one good electric and one good acoustic? 

Edited by Retired
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Retired said:

If I worried about competing with every single person in all that I did, I would have nothing. I've seen small kids play better than me. Then again, my great nephew has been playing guitar now since 2019 from a teacher at Guitar Center and my sisters daughter posts the results on facebook all the time.  Deb shows them to me and I wonder why he is still trying? 

Falls under the category, "Never teach a pig to sing, it both waists your time and annoys the pig." lol

Just for the record Steve, I have seriously thought about reducing down to maybe 3 guitars. Maybe one good electric and one good acoustic? 

I don’t think Steve is selling anything. He will be buying. Not right now, but he will. That certain special Firebird with the right tuners, proper headstock, and is as long as a pro basketball player. He’s all in.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Music is definitely not a competition. The older I get the more I appreciate history of great composers and their works. It just happens that during those historic eras that music of the greats was truly something humanity can call masterpieces. It takes a lot of time and devotion to learn the works of the masters and people who agonize to learn that stuff IME do it because they love the music not to one-up someone. Music has to have feeling that makes the listener appreciate it for the message it conveys. It doesn’t have to be complex to be good… but some can appreciate music that happens to be what some would classify as complex. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don’t think Steve is selling anything. He will be buying. Not right now, but he will. That certain special Firebird with the right tuners, proper headstock, and is as long as a pro basketball player. He’s all in.

I know, It's all about the speed some people play. Not all are blessed with the same talents. I have had people come up to me and say: "I'd kill to have your Art talent."  Well, Its a God given talent plus I've been doing it since the 2nd grade. My dad taught me back then plus all the years in art school. I wish I could play a song without making a mistake. My fingers don't move as fast as they used to. 

There’s a guitar player on YT who goes by the name of Rick Graham who is really nice to listen to. He talks about how to play with complex movements. One of the best things he taught me listening to him was that a lot of people have a very stubborn hand and can’t shift their index finger well which basically will keep you stuck in one spot on the fretboard. Notice how these guitar virtuosos use their index finger. It glides around and all of a sudden, in another spot on the fretboard. Just something I noticed I needed to improve which made my solos better. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

Okay, so I won't sell anything and might buy something.

I would like a wine red ES-335 with a trapeze tailpiece.  

That might make me feel better about how good that young girl is and how bad I am by comparison.

And maybe a white Firebird V that doesn't cost $9000 and look like it was dragged behing a pick up truck in a swamp.

• Like 1

Yes superbly well coordinated r & l hand technique. I could not listen beyond 2 mins though. I wanted to give up at 1.

When in the mood for listening to some music, would anyone here choose to listen to this version of Moonlight Sonata? This is not a rhetorical question, nor is it intended to be critical of the young lady and her music. I genuinely am curious about it.

Would I put it on ?  No, it would have to be recorded differently.

She has a bunch of Youtube videos and they're all basically the same: incredible guitar playing in the same basic wall of soup.  Reading the comments below the videos she disappeared so maybe she'll resurface with better production.