Gibson Brands Forums

The Bells of Rhymney (Byrds)

Salfromchatham

16 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Hope you like this guys...  some electric in here too. I also did it in 3/4 time, which may be weird.

Nice. Who is the artist that did the painting or poster behind you.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

A highly appreciated tune here - you both re-think it and stay loyal to the original.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           3/4 works very good - I'll try it on the sofa, , , while remembering playing it as an extra with the band* in front of many people loooong ago. . . 

The detail with the bells of the various regions having different colours (bein' in different states) always fascinated.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Brown - Black Silver - Greeare exactly the palette of huge tower bells . . 

* on the same stage Dylan used 10 years later >🐵<

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Lawdy Have Mercy?  How can you have gone through life and not have head the Byrds version.  The Byrds were my first concert in 1965.  

I actually worked with The Byrds back in the 60's.... but you know what they say about the 60's, right?

If you remember the 60's...you weren't really there!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I actually worked with The Byrds back in the 60's.... but you know what they say about the 60's, right?

If you remember the 60's...you weren't really there!

Not too long after the Byrds version of this was released,  Danville Rob's band was getting ready to open for the Beatles at Candlestick Park in SF at their last stadium concert.

It didn't work out as planned, but that is a story for another day. A lot of people who have come on this forum in recent years don't know it, but it is Rob's story to tell, or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Sal, your version was really something! Enjoyed it immensely. Super electric too.

I grew up listening to the version below. A Welsh poem needs a Welsh band. I miss this band, but not their hairstyles…

Lars

I saw The Alarm open for The Kinks, and The Pretenders back in the mid-80’s. Had no clue who they were the first time I saw them, I believe it was The Kinks show. They were damn good.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, j45nick said:

Not too long after the Byrds version of this was released,  Danville Rob's band was getting ready to open for the Beatles at Candlestick Park in SF at their last stadium concert.

It didn't work out as planned, but that is a story for another day. A lot of people who have come on this forum in recent years don't know it, but it is Rob's story to tell, or not.

Thanks Nick.... ya know....had I known I was supposed to remember all this stuff half a century later, I would have taken notes, or something!

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I thought you were not into drugs?

Never was.... but I did start drinking at about 14..... had a friend who would steal liquor, and we'd (my friend, Jeff and I), would pay him whatever the price tag said....so we drank a wide variety of stuff!   I did watch many of the big-name bands do all sorts of drugs backstage....even the Big -H!