Gibson Brands Forums

D'Addario XS Strings...YUCK!

sbpark

Never been a fan of coated strings. My go to have been EJ16's and EJ17's for most guitars (D-18, J45, AJ, Epiphone USA Frontier, etc) and Martin Monels on smaller body mahogany guitars like offerings from Waterloo and a Martin 000-15). 

Was given a set of D'Addario XS strings (12-53) and put them on the Epiphone Frontier I recently picked up. All I can say is they did not sound good. Low end was robbed, they sounded brash ad metallic and made the guitar sound really tinny and awful. Even after giving them a couple days to settle they still sounded horrible on this guitar. Put a set of EJ16's on and all is right with the world again. The EJ16's are also noticeably louder than the XS. Sounded like someone turned down the volume with the XS strings.

The one thing I did like about the XS strings was the slickness. They did feel great and no finger noise, but no way were those plusses worth it given the way these strings seem dto rob the guitar of it's inherently good tone!

Edited by sbpark

3 minutes ago, jedzep said:

You just missed the greatest D'Addario strings by one letter.  Swap out the S for a T.

What makes the XT's better? What are the differences in tone, etc., between the XT's when compared to the XS and EJ's? EJ's are pretty much what I use as my starting point/gold standard. If a guitar doesn't sound good with EJ's the guitar simply doesn't sound good. 

Edited by sbpark

I love the new ones in the white pack. I have monels on my 00-28 right now and can't wait till they wear out. They were the only decent set the store had when I broke a string. I tried the XT's and didn't like them. I was never a D'ad guy till the XS's. I used Martin strings for a long time and got sick of the squeak.

• Like 1

I'ma couplea months into a very scientific test of Elixirs on three of my electrics, since there are three kinds of Webs.  So far so good.  I don't love them, I'm not mad at them.  I don't know that I'll continue putting them on.  I haven't found much difference at all between the three kinds.

My acoustics have those brassy-bronzey looking kinds of strings on them that you kids use these days.  I don't know what they are.

rct

20 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

Jinder can you tell me which XTs you're using?  I've been using Sunbeams on my J-45 of late and really like them but would like something that last a bit longer if it's worth it.

I’m using 80/20 XTs, currently 13-56 tuned down to Eb. Absolutely love them!

13 hours ago, Peter Z said:

I use XT on my maples (SJ-200 and Dove), XS on the rest.

We all seem to have very different ears as to mine the XS strings sound bighter than XTs.  But I have old, wornout ears with a tinnitus plugin. 🙂

I absolutely agree, the XTs are a warmer string. I didn’t get on with the XS but all my main players (SJ200, Dove and Maple AJ) are Maple, which may well account for the excess of brightness at play with the XS. The XTs have a wonderful chime and bloom to them though, my absolute favourites currently.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:11 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I love the new ones in the white pack. I have monels on my 00-28 right now and can't wait till they wear out. They were the only decent set the store had when I broke a string. I tried the XT's and didn't like them. I was never a D'ad guy till the XS's. I used Martin strings for a long time and got sick of the squeak.

I love the monels, have them on my Rainsong and my G-00.  They sound good, they feel great.  I got a pack of XS free and just put them on the G-00 and it's like a different guitar, the bass has tightened up and the upper mids are fuller.  Ive gigged them twice and they have settled in.  It also seems like the XS strings drive the top more.  I really like them.

Edited by jricc

5 minutes ago, jricc said:

I love the monels, have them on my Rainsong and my G-00.  They sound good, they feel great.  I got a pack of XS free and just put them on the G-00 and it's like a different guitar, the bass has tightened up and the upper mids are fuller.  Ive gigged them twice and they have settled in.  It also seems like the XS strings drive the top more.  I really like them.

Yeah I’m sticking with them. They  last too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper