Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Opps I did it again

Rabs

Just now, Rabs said:

Maybe.. It was on a foreign web site.. I can find it again if you want. May have been German, wasnt paying much attention to the text 🙂  

I certainly don't have the dosh and I think I like your sunburst with those pickups as much if not more, despite that amazing top.......I'd have to try black plastics on that.

Of course you don't need a 339 either....not with those block inlays....trapeze tailpiece...that translucent red....mini-hummers.  Naaahh....[cool]

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I certainly don't have the dosh and I think I like your sunburst with those pickups as much if not more, despite that amazing top.......I'd have to try black plastics on that.

Of course you don't need a 339 either....not with those block inlays....trapeze tailpiece...that translucent red....mini-hummers.  Naaahh....[cool]

Lol.. Found it again.. It does seem like its for sale and its even cheaper than what I paid...

https://www.ricardo.ch/fr/a/gibson-cs336-custom-shop-p90-sehr-rar!-1151400034/

And that one with mini hummers, that was the ES 390.. Fully hollow so no centre block and with a slim neck unlike the 339 which has a fatter neck on them (or I would have bought one years ago 🙂

And yes, my first thought when I saw my new one was getting some black pickup covers.. But the look has grown on me...

Edited by Rabs

12 hours ago, Rabs said:

And that one with mini hummers, that was the ES 390.. Fully hollow so no centre block and with a slim neck.........

My mistake! :-&  Body like a small ES 330.   Of course you don't need one! 😈

It'll be interesting to see how sought after some of the HJ-era models become in the future.  There are some very good guitars IMO.

Edited by jdgm

On 2/17/2022 at 11:43 AM, Rabs said:

As some of you may have seen from previous posts in other threads.. I have been eyeing up a guitar for a couple of months now... Its an unusual guitar in the fact it has P90s rather than humbuckers.. You really dont see many like this.. If any others are even out there.. Its apparently a made 2 measure guitar.. 

From what I can tell so far its a standard 336 but with P90s and no pickguard (which very much suits me).

Also it was advertised as a 2010 model which I knew it wasnt.. From the pictures I saw on the internet it looked like the serial started with an 8.. So I thought its a 2008/2018 model.. 

Whats odd is it came with its QC document so you think the seller/shop would have twigged on and to my pleasant surprise  actually its a 2016.. And in looking very much closer the first number is a 6 not an 8 it has dark grain around it and was really hard to tell even in person.

So here you go.. I present my new 2016 CS 336 F with P90s  😄 

3VzgS9O.jpg

LmtDXmj.jpg

3nBy1VS.jpg

mYD7xWd.jpg

WJ8XbVU.jpg

OxaLVAD.jpg

ArmgPUl.jpg

y4016DJ.jpg

5g5YyVP.jpg

Now I just have to really hope I never find one with mini humbuckers   😄 

BEAUTY!!  Congrats and 

Hmmm.. When I first saw this guitar. My first thought was to change the plastics to black... Then I got used to it more and more..

BUT I just went and did a little mock up to see what it would look like..  Now I think im gonna have to do it  🙂 

YHOKEXx.jpg

• 4 months later...

So I finally got around to getting some black covers for the P90s. Man they are becoming harder to get these days. They used to sell Gibson spares in the local guitar shop.. Even Gibsons shop didnt have any.

I tried buying some cheap ones on Ebay but they did not fit. And all the other ones looked exactly the same. They were close but did not fit in the pickup holes as the radius of the corners was completely off.. See

Xa6J4tK.jpg

YwA6SzO.jpg

And the original ones. You can see what the issue is
NLzCkUF.jpg

So I found some in the end, proper Gibson ones from Thomann
HPNvupS.jpg

And.. Lovely jubbley.... I also have some black speed knobs but have decided for now to leave the amber ones on for now and see how I like it in a few days..

EODxGWP.jpg

gx5Vdfc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jdgm said:

I think it looks good [thumbup]

Cheers..  I did try one speed knob but even though I have experience fitting knobs (actually because I have experience) it was really hard to get on, it was sitting higher that it should and it made me REALLY nervous to push harder to get it on properly.. I know that if you push too hard you can break the pot and I really didnt want that to happen. So overall I think right now it best to keep the amber knobs.. Plus they suit that area of colour as it were and sort of blend in. I still think black knobs would look cool but its really not that important.. Not enough for me to go through any issues should something go very wrong.

14 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Great pics and the guitar looks great! 👍 

Parts: there's a wasteland out there, still recovering from #COVD lockdowns. Nobody had any idea about how long these shortages will last.

Like I say.. Even Gibson dont have any.. They have some dog ear ones but no normal P90 covers.